Are you a puffer or not a puffer when lighting cigar?

Just curious, I myself am not a puffer. I prefer to use my single flame torch to light entire foot evenly, then I do a quick purge and begin smoking. I find that puffing draws in the harshness, from the intense heat on the tobacco, into the cigar. It ends up ruining  the first third of cigar before it settles down. I like a single flame torch as you can be much more precise when lighting and especially when doing touch ups. Thats just me, to each their own.

• Like 2

I do a bit of both - I use a jet flame to toast the foot, especially around the edges, then I give it 3 or 4 good puffs. After making sure the wrapper is burning all the way around, which may require another short set of puffs, I set the cigar down for a few minutes to let everything gel. Then it’s usually good to go and the flavors are on point.

• Like 2

Gently toast the foot with a torch lighter until lit. Then draw the cigar. Been doing it same way for some 30 odd years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 99call said:

not a puffer here.   simply light the cigar foot with a jet lighter.  have a look at the foot, if any areas are unlit, lightly blow until the whole foot is lit........then smoke. 

Each to there own though, whatever makes people happy

This.

3 hours ago, 99call said:

not a puffer here.   simply light the cigar foot with a jet lighter.  have a look at the foot, if any areas are unlit, lightly blow until the whole foot is lit........then smoke. 

Yup exactly.

4 hours ago, 99call said:

Same here!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NYgarman said:

Gently toast the foot with a torch lighter until lit. Then draw the cigar. Been doing it same way for some 30 odd years.

This is what I do...

Damn, I've been doing this wrong. I've been lighting the foot and smoking from that same end! No wonder every cigar tastes of heavy, almost burnt, toasted tobacco, and every cigar burns hot too!

• Haha 2

+1
Also, if You light a cigar for another smoker (guest or lady), blowing on the cigar is not accepted, instead you need to do a few intense flaps of the hand in which you hold the cigar. The incoming air flow will help to evenly ignite the cigar.

Depends on the breeze.  Indoors with no fans going, I'll light the foot with a soft flame or long match, going for that perfect cherry just as the jet flame guys aim for.  In any other situation with a disturbing air flow I'll default to the jet alone, or even a puff or two if necessary.

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Not a puffer light it and if areas of the foot are unlit I gently blow on the foot till it takes off, I feel that puffing while lighting it gets too hot and makes the burn wonky. 

Tried lighting a couple the other day like a cigarette, worked well. Want to experiment more with this it was quick and no fuss/easy - with a soft flame, I don’t fancy pointing a torch at my lips.

Like the cedar spill occasionally.

My most frequent method is a single flame torch, trying to keep it as far away as possible while still applying enough heat to ignite, sometimes wait for foot to extinguish or rest a moment, before re-torching, then I start to smoke it. Cap is cut before or after lighting, depends on the mood.

I think I still have old habits from being a younger, poorer smoker. I have tried to get myself away from puffing but it persists. I take time and care with toasting the foot and always cut before lighting. I used to use a mammoth torch a plumber might use to light my cigars because it is handy in my basement. It got the cigar lit in nanoseconds. 

3 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Cut the cigar, cold draw it. Triple flame torch to toast the foot and get it lit. Then take a draw or two to see if it's lit. If not, light the end again. I found early on puffing while lighting made the smoke very hot and added a acidic element to the cigar.

I just tried this because of this thread. I through a lot more butane on my triple torch, and did not really notice a difference. I puff to light,but it is about an inch above the top of the visible part of the flame and back away from it a couple cm. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but it took forever to light by toast, blow, apply heat directly to the foot, and frankly I think got it hotter than my method.