Are you a puffer or not a puffer when lighting cigar?

30 minutes ago, BoliDan said:

I puff to light

So this is just my take on the matter, and I'm not saying its fact etc.

When directing a jet lighter at the foot of a cigar, the natural effect is for the flame to hit the foot then deflect away.

With the other method much like an old school jewellers oxy-propane blow torch, when you draw on a cigar thats got a direct flame on it, it amps up the temp, and draws the flame into the cigar.    Again i'm not saying it's fact, but my gut feeling on this, is not only does it negatively effect the opening of a cigar, due to overheating, but straight from the off, drawing flame into the cigar will have created a concave burn. 

again just my opinion

I generally bring mathematics into the equation, depending on the y axis I can do several different things, usually flame is involved sometimes not, like I said it depends. Using the power of x it can be possible without flame. Seriously though it just depends on the situation, mostly toast and go

• Haha 1

never ever puff while lighting your cigars! it really changes the flavor aspect, you'll never taste the cigar at its full potential!

i usually use matches to light them up and i only light up the outside of the foot. Light it up good and the rest will happen naturally.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2019 at 11:15 AM, FatherOfPugs said:

It may take a little longer to light it the way myself and others have described, and to me it's worth it. When I'm taking time to enjoy a cigar, I'm not really worried I'll be in a time crunch, so if it takes a minute or two to get it lit the way I like it, I'm ok with that. I just found with puffing while lighting, the cigars would develop an acidic, burnt taste to them, and the smoke was very hot. 

Alright, us young punks figure that the veterans are just stuck in convention and wrong about things. But I'm on my 4th stick with this method and I'm 100% a believer now. 

Cheers.

• Like 1

This thread reminds me of how ritualistic our cigar hobby is, even down to the cutting and lighting of a cigar. That’s one of the things that I find so interesting about the whole affair. As far as lighting goes I’m in the camp of cut it, test draw, single torch far enough away to get ignition, toast and blow until I have an evenly lit foot. For the longest time I would only cut the cigar after it was lit. Everyone’s got a method.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2019 at 8:54 AM, nKostyan said:

+1
Also, if You light a cigar for another smoker (guest or lady), blowing on the cigar is not accepted, instead you need to do a few intense flaps of the hand in which you hold the cigar. The incoming air flow will help to evenly ignite the cigar.

Why isn’t that accepted? Anything deadly you might blow on that glowing foot will certainly be incinerated immediately ?

On 4/10/2019 at 11:09 AM, Fatshotbud said:

I use splints of cedar left from boxes when possible. Don't really puff but slow easy draw. Quick light even with this low heat tool.

emoji106.png

I used to do this every now and again but if it's a good cedar sheet (e.g. the red really aromatic kind from fancier boxes) it will overpower your first few puffs with absolute cedar-mania. The plain cedar sheets are ok from habanos. Some NCs sheets smell like turps / varnish!