Would this bother you?

Would mould like this bother you?  

216 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can’t say it wouldn’t bother me at all, mainly because some level of unwanted moisture intrusion has taken place. So I chose “a little”. But I’d just carefully wipe the sticks clean and get on with li

Depends. If the vendor has told me that they have inspected the box, as you do with "hand picked" etc..., and charge a premium for that service, then I would be annoyed. That's a significant amount of

The only annoying part is wiping down each stick and putting them back in the box. No big deal. It happens 

27 minutes ago, lordlister said:

Before Rob published the findings from his plume studies, we all coveted plume. So why the bias on the type of plume? 

I was just kidding, I thought you were, too.

1 hour ago, lordlister said:

I find that boxes that mold is a sign of a good box of cigar

Mould is a sign of subpar storage. Nothing else.

• Like 1

Wouldn’t bother me much - unless I had paid a significant premium for a higher grade and inspection. In that case, I would be rather upset.

Agree with @Lotusguy.  No big deal to wipe it off if it's not on the foot, but if these were hand picked / inspected by the retailer and showed up in this condition I would send a polite email informing them of the circumstance.  That's enough to assume that it was there before shipping.

I'd sell them for double to a friend and say that it was "plume." 

But seriously, it would not bother me at all.  If it were a box of Cohibas, then yes, but on an every day smoke, I'd just wipe it off and enjoy--maybe put that box in the top of the rotation until it was gone--and start over.

I would go "Grrrrr."  I'd wish it wasn't there.  So it would bother me a little.  But it's just part of buying cigars.  It would annoy me to find that at a walk-in, mostly because they are generally too humid.  It's their business, they should know better.  ?

9 hours ago, shlomo said:

Depends. If the vendor has told me that they have inspected the box, as you do with "hand picked" etc..., and charge a premium for that service, then I would be annoyed. That's a significant amount of mold and very unlikely to develop in a couple days of transit.

If I am buying blind, then shit happens. Wipe and smoke.

Your correct, it would be picked up and taken care of at inspection. 

This is a young box (stunning) that I came across yesterday at the warehouse.  The mould would have developed in Havana which raises a question. 

Does freezing kill mould?

One maybe for FOHrensics :looking:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Does freezing kill mould?

Well, since they supposedly freeze all exports, I suspect not  :lol3:

Signed,

Captain Obvious.

A bit more to the point, I think if I opened the box, I'd find it to be a bit "nasty". I think members have it covered....

P.S. Wouldn't return, probably wouldn't "complain"...

Just now, Colt45 said:

Well, since they supposedly freeze all exports, I suspect not  :lol3:

Signed,

Captain Obvious.

A bit more to the point, I think if I opened the box, I'd find it to be a bit "nasty". I think members have it covered....

Thanks Cap :rolleyes:

Ross, I estimate 3-5% of all boxes that arrive  would have some element of mould.  This box was on the extreme end. 

The point of my freezing question is in trying to determine at what point of the chain is this starting.

It is not blooming obvious  :rotfl:.....I just kill myself some days :rotfl:

6 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

The point of my freezing question is in trying to determine at what point of the chain is this starting.

Just curious, is it common for multiple boxes in a specific master case to exhibit mold, if there is any?

3 minutes ago, aphexafx said:

Just curious, is it common for multiple boxes in a specific master case to exhibit mold, if there is any?

Generally yes....but not always. 

A few years ago we sold as seconds "mouldy Upmann connie 1's. We were upfront, showed pics, extensive. 

Members agreed that they were some of the best connie 1's that they had smoked. :party:

Generally yes....but not always. 

A few years ago we sold as seconds "mouldy Upmann connie 1's. We were upfront, showed pics, extensive. 
Members agreed that they were some of the best connie 1's that they had smoked. :party:

Mold tastes good? Who knew.

6 hours ago, Shelby07 said:

If course it would bother me but I’d handle it. Typical first world problem. ?

Says it all, IF they smoke good then I have other more important "issues" to worry about, brush it off and move on. 

Of Course IF it was a box of Coro's .......   

Rob 

As a Minnesota native where we just got actual temps of -40f I’m gonna go out on a limb and say mold spores are pretty resilient.

Freezing active mold might be a different story. It would be an interesting test.

If it’s not on the foot I’m going to wipe it off, but I’ve seen enough bemoaning mold on the online cigar communities to say it bothers quite a few people, especially if they are expecting the box to have been inspected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd certainly have been annoyed to see the mould on opening the box, and depending on the value of the box, return or not. This specific box with those lovely wrappers, I'd wipe and keep, on a box of Monte 80th I'd return. 

Ive also found that cigars once mouldy, especially in tubos, become mouldy after a while again.