How long could you last? Hypothetical

51 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Microsoft 365 is down for most of Oz this morning so if you are waiting on an email.....you know why :lookaround:

It got me to thinking. 

Hypothetical. A little smart electronic terrorism. 

• No access to email. 
  • No access to your bank accounts or credit cards
  • No access to your phone. 
  • No access to any electronics (computer etc). 

How long could you survive without assistance in a world where digital networks are down globally. 

No problems with Office365 today for me! :P

I could probably get by for a few weeks at home without any problems. I'm usually pretty stocked up with food (non-perishables), plenty of books to read for entertainment, enough cigars for a few years, got some cash hidden around :lookaround:, and I have 3 cars to choose from if I need to get around.

As with others, I have gotten by in Cuba without any email/phone/credit cards/laptop. I usually have enough cash in Cuba to last me the whole trip, plus a little buffer.

Probably 3 - 4 weeks. Maybe even longer. I'm only saying this from experience with my other job. But in saying That...food, water, shelter etc are provided....included doing stupid dumb tasks that make no sense.

If I was in the real world....maybe 5 days max haha

In this day and age, this would likely lead to a survival situation, involving major changes in lifestyle where technology is probably going to be pushed down very low the list of priorities. In this, the most likely of scenarios, I would be fine indefinitely (i.e until I was killed) as my survival skills are ok. But, taking the hypothetical case where this doesn't happen, everyone gets on etc., the personal ramifications for me would still mean a major change in lifestyle. I am a software developer. Assuming my work doesn't just become obsolete (likely), then the big two problems today are 1) No one keeps manuals anymore. Online references were long ago realised as being superior because of cause they can be far more easily kept up to date. This problem would hinder both my current work and my hobbies. 2) Acquisition - Retail has gone to the dogs compared to finding and purchasing exactly what you want online, after checking ratings and reviews and being 100% more confident in your purchases.

That's a perennial event in south Florida during hurricane season. Not too uncommon to lose electricity, cable and cell phone connectivity for a few hours to a few days. Most times we get a lot of things done around the house. We use a generator to keep our fridge from melting down, and keep the beer cool :). Most times there is a chainsaw involved, for trimming downed trees of course ? 

14 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Microsoft 365 is down for most of Oz this morning so if you are waiting on an email.....you know why :lookaround:

It got me to thinking. 

Hypothetical. A little smart electronic terrorism. 

• No access to email. 
  • No access to your bank accounts or credit cards
  • No access to your phone. 
  • No access to any electronics (computer etc). 

How long could you survive without assistance in a world where digital networks are down globally. 

This is how it was growing up in the 50's, 60's. 70's and 80's.

Didn't have computers.

Had to drive to the bank to do business. I didn't have a credit card or check card.

Phones had cords attached. 

To pay bills, you had to mail invoices with checks.

Been there, done that. Could probably do it again if I had to.

15 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I can't imagine what would happen if all digital networks crashed or were sabotaged. We know that the power grid in the USA is susceptible to terrorist attack. How long could I last? I'm not sure inconvenience is the problem.  I think there would be wide spread violence and mayhem pretty quick. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I can't imagine what would happen if all digital networks crashed or were sabotaged. We know that the power grid in the USA is susceptible to terrorist attack. How long could I last? I'm not sure inconvenience is the problem.  I think there would be wide spread violence and mayhem pretty quick. 

Certainly no longer than 7 years. Stash of cigars would start getting thin about then :)

Forget all that, imagine if tomorrow Mark Zuckerberg decided he'd had enough of the stress and just permanently turned off Facebook...

One of the best moves I ever made. Complete removal of all social media (FOH not withstanding). It's my true belief that looked back upon, social media will be considered a disaster to humanity.

I'm gonna watch 12 Monkeys tonight. One of the best films ever.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Being  44 years of age, I’m glad I grew up without all the technology, we used our imagination as kids to have fun and face to face interactions was all we needed. We knew where everyone was by all the bikes on the front lawn. I feel bad for the kids of today, they don’t know what it’s like to grow up in a world without technology, not that it’s a bad thing, I think it was nice to grow up without it

Agreed. Technology has made its dent in our society. I’m a young stud myself lol but I believe a lot of it has to do where you grow up/live. I live in a city now so my children don’t really go out and play. I guess that’s my fault, I do it cause there are crazy people amongst us if you know what I mean. However I have lived in amazing towns/communities where I felt safe letting my children play outside with other kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Ironically, Internet and cellphone service went out at my house last night and still isn’t back. Working from a local cigar lounge today...

I'd literall be f@*!#d within a few days. Don't carry cash. Buy everything online. Got no more than about 4-5 days food in the house at any one time. I'd have to loot...with er, a poo stick because we don't have guns and I'm not particulalry 'hard'. Hopefully the fear of infection from a turd covered sharp stick would still exist in this nigh-on apocalyptic nightmare. 

Assuming work understands that I am unavailable to do much, I could go as long as my cash could last me - I have like $50 in my wallet so probably not much past tomorrow morning. Even shorter if I have to feed my fiancé.

I'd go hungry before I got irritated that I can't google something.

1 hour ago, GavLew79 said:

I'd literall be f@*!#d within a few days. Don't carry cash. Buy everything online. Got no more than about 4-5 days food in the house at any one time. I'd have to loot...with er, a poo stick because we don't have guns and I'm not particulalry 'hard'. Hopefully the fear of infection from a turd covered sharp stick would still exist in this nigh-on apocalyptic nightmare. 

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE POO-STICK!!!

• Like 2