Quai D'Orsay Corona Claro........

Quai d'Orsay Corona Claro   

167 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It has "evolved" :D

What it has done is make it more likely someone in a walk in store may actually stop to look at it.  I am not talking about the online community. Just the Jo-Blo walking into the store to pick up some singles

I don't think online will lose 1 sale due to the packaging. It probably won't pick up any either. 

However, i suspect it has more of a chance to pick up increased sales in a B&M. 

If that turns out to be the case then it is a win. 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Look on the bright side...the new bands beat the heck out of plain packaging bands!   Oh, by the way, has anyone checked the latest plain packaging for McDonald's?

I hope they don’t start screwing around with Sancho Panza. I love the simple label, and the flavour profile is wonderfully unique. So, of course they will. ?

.  I assume that one of the reasons is that a trademark must remain in use for ordinary commerce.  If you don't do that then the trademark can lapse.   if we indeed see some SLR DC/Dieux thi

5 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

As much as I usually lean toward the “I don’t smoke boxes” attitude, I REALLY liked the elegant simplicity of the previous QD packaging. I thought it looked really nice. 

Same here. Im my opinion the old packaging has a bit more character to it.

• Like 3

I think the refresh is a bit gaudy and the bands look like they were designed by a guy who’d sell you a watch from a street corner. As long as the blend is the same I’ll live with it along with pissing and moaning every time the topic comes up though ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I assume that one of the reasons is that a trademark must remain in use for ordinary commerce.  If you don't do that then the trademark can lapse.  

if we indeed see some SLR DC/Dieux this year then we may just see HSA take up the 3-5 year production option. 

HSA planning direction is not always smooth. Often is is a battle of wills between the Spanish and the Cuban side. Deletions are highly contentious internally. 

Everything can come back in one form or another. it just takes will, vision, planning and execution. 

Whose execution exactly?

I actually like the new design, I just wish they had chosen a more muted color than gold. I think a lighter beige/brown/cream in a matter finish would stand out and not be too gaudy. Other than that, I like the new styling.

8 hours ago, 99call said:

Completely respect your opinion, but I would argue with this use of "more refined" . Refined, to me, is exactly what the packaging used to be i.e.  basic, minimal, subtle. 

Sorry in advance for being pedantic

Have to agree with that pedantism!

Not a fan.

Particularly dislike any dressing up of a semi boite nature box, even in part. If you want a dress box - go and make a dress box! A sbn should come plain with iron branding - done.

Same holding for the new Partagas or Monte ones, for that matter. And that including that uglifying halfsize-bofeton (you hear me voicing that in utter disgust... haha :wink2:), only for saving them the classic glassine & cedar sheet cover. And nothing like the old, wonderful matte monochrome bands (right there with the SP, RG and former Monte gang), With their narrower glueing section even having their pros when removing the band. So, for me it is more than just about design and understatement.

On a positive note - the wrappers I am seeing lately appear divine.....

13 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Particularly dislike any dressing up of a semi boite nature box, even in part. If you want a dress box - go and make a dress box! A sbn should come plain with iron branding - done

Yeah I agree.  Make a dress box if that's the direction they are heading. The Hoyo de San Juan/ Rio Seco are in cabs that have branding stickers on them too. All good cigars too, but I don't get it.

6 minutes ago, Stump89 said:

The Hoyo de San Juan/ Rio Seco are in cabs that have branding stickers on them too. All good cigars too, but I don't get it.

Yep, had those SLBs in mind, too. Same craziness....

38 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Not a fan.

Particularly dislike any dressing up of a semi boite nature box, even in part. If you want a dress box - go and make a dress box! A sbn should come plain with iron branding - done.

Same holding for the new Partagas or Monte ones, for that matter. And that including that uglifying halfsize-bofeton (you hear me voicing that in utter disgust... haha :wink2:), only for saving them the classic glassine & cedar sheet cover. And nothing like the old, wonderful matte monochrome bands (right there with the SP, RG and former Monte gang), With their narrower glueing section even having their pros when removing the band. So, for me it is more than just about design and understatement.

On a positive note - the wrappers I am seeing lately appear divine.....

So how do you feel about the HdM Escogidos' box?

12 hours ago, 99call said:

Be interested to know you thoughts Rob. Why do you believe HSA actually persevere with these brands as a year round, every year product. If (as you say) they're not getting the sales they want?.  Is it just keeping the names of the brands alive so they can run RE/LE of their back?

Apart from legal aspects (TM, as Rob said), if you wouldn't have the 'pedestrian', you couldn't set apart the 'premium'.

I don't understand why don't just do runs every 3-5years of cigars they struggle to sell.   It would suit the buyers of niche brands, and would free them up to use that tobacco on RE-LE's.  It all seems very strange.  

Basically, certainly a tractable concept. But these here, RG, SP in particular, are to a larger part bought by regular smokers, not so much by collectors of specials. Those buyers don't want to need putting aside a 3-5-year's stock of their everyday smoke (as different to e.g. Sir Winnie or SLR DC, which have always been intermittent in production). Putting those in hiatus would eventually kill the product, as you rid the loyal customer base.

But, hey all fine hsa, dress them up, put a second / wider shiny band on, inflate girth, smoke volume and pricing... - that's the way we move today.

I'm not a fan. But i'm never a fan of Chroming or Gold Leafing something just to do it. I wont buy more or less of them because of the packaging, but I would prefer not to pay for it. A silk Ribbon is all I need. 

9 hours ago, El Presidente said:

It has "evolved" :D

What it has done is make it more likely someone in a walk in store may actually stop to look at it.  I am not talking about the online community. Just the Jo-Blo walking into the store to pick up some singles

I don't think online will lose 1 sale due to the packaging. It probably won't pick up any either. 

However, i suspect it has more of a chance to pick up increased sales in a B&M. 

If that turns out to be the case then it is a win. 

I agree with this completely. Love it or hate it that shiny gold leaf attracts the eyes and the $'s. (Cohiba anyone?)  Its a very cheap and instant "upgrade" to the cigar/brand in many smokers eyes. 

Its funny, I was smoking with @fabes a couple weeks ago and he gifted me one of these. As I sat there wallowing in its glory I mentioned to him how much I enjoyed the look and feel of the old matte, un-embossed, plain paper bands. I still have a couple of the old boxes tucked away and will cherish them more now, but I will certainly have some of these new "Mr.T" boxes in the Humi eventually. 

337456441_IMG_19111.thumb.JPG.b2bf7f15aa62e1e7c8ec59ed5a1cdf45.JPG

It's not far off from the original, just stylishly updated a little.  Same with the bands.  The new ones look more 2019+.  

I am not as sad as when Upmann updated the bands on the No. 2. 

12 hours ago, HopeUgood said:

I prefer the older label, but I will most likely panic buy the new at first opportunity. 

I think you've said it in a single sentence. hats off

Well.....Panic buying initiated ?

I don’t like the new look, but only because with the new look came more attention and now these seem to be much harder to find. On that note, I saw someone selling these for $350 a box on Facebook the other day....