What are you listening to?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

original copy of the first Dire Straits record. Sounds amazing on vinyl. Dug this out of my old man’s crate of records. Absolutely amazing. 

20 hours ago, anacostiakat said:

C'mon son. . .

Many people have no idea how musically talented Hugh Laurie is.

A fair amount of what I listen to is based on memories of events and concerts.

This last weekend I listened to "Switched on Bach", by Walter (later Wendy) Carlos.

My father was very progressive, for his time, but steeped in antiquity so I was exposed to a variety of influences that were considered mainstream to extreme - Bela Bartok, Lou Reed, John Cage, and many more.

This did bring up a lot of varied emotions as I saw his performance live, in concert at the Hollywood Bowl.  We always arrived very early for the purpose of easy parking and a picnic dinner.

I was oblivious to the then raging Vietnam conflict, but remember vividly wandering down to the stage before the concert (being a young boy of less than ten years) and becoming petrified by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Hershy_Bar who was ranting about things of which I had no concept.  For safety I was whisked away backstage (far away from my parents - in the proletarian seats), by someone I assumed was security.  A man named "Bob" asked me if I was ok and helped me back to my seat.

My father later explained to me that the nice may named "Bob" was Robert Moog.

A half an hour later the concert started and I was basically bored to death.  Oh well...sorry dad.

• 2 weeks later...

For those in Oz a little nostalgia. Came across this on FB. I know one must be of a certain age to remember The Beatles like this but those of us who were alive then and over 6 years of age know that there has never been anything like them.

This performance was made in Australia in June 1964 at Festival Hall in Melbourne.

• Like 3

On 3/28/2022 at 5:18 AM, joeypots said:

For those in Oz a little nostalgia. Came across this on FB. I know one must be of a certain age to remember The Beatles like this but those of us who were alive then and over 6 years of age know that there has never been anything like them.

This performance was made in Australia in June 1964 at Festival Hall in Melbourne.

at the moment, the site is not letting me see any vids but i can transfer the link. i was not over 6 at the time but i can remember later hearing about the brizzy concert. dad's best mate was head of one of the radio stations at the time and he and dad went along. my father was very much a big gilbert and sullivan, military band music guy (i can still sing half of gilbert and sullivan because it was played almost every morning of my life as a kid, with the old military songs). 

dad absolutely hated the concert. he complained he could hear nothing. his friend told me that he spent the entire concert telling all the screaming girls to shut up and sit down. i have no doubt that is exactly what he did. 

• Like 1

An acoustic session with Cornell 5 or 6 years ago. It absolutely amazes me how his voice hadn't lost anything through the decades. 

This version absolutely guts me. While the original remains awesome, he seems to be able to convey so much more pain and despair in this session.

RIP Chris

Cheers!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...