What are you listening to?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

original copy of the first Dire Straits record. Sounds amazing on vinyl. Dug this out of my old man’s crate of records. Absolutely amazing. 

Some very early British Progressive Rock. Giles was quite a brilliant percussionist. Really mellow on vinyl of course.

Huge fan of his band with his brother and Robert Fripp!

I have "The Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles and Fripp" on Vinyl.

Been on a Led Zeppelin Kick for over a week. Led Zep I - IV, Presence, Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti.

I went through a similar phase late last year. I still cannot get over how Houses of the Holy has eight different song genres, yet they are all done so well! The opening track of Presence, 'Achilles Last Stand', is a track I've listened to at least 20 to 30 times, yet I'm still picking up new things from it. Physical Graffiti was played on car trips the last two months of 2014, it took me about 5 or 6 listens to really get into it. Led Zeppelin...great musicians, virtuosos!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Being a metal head, can't get enough Meshuggah right now.

I go back and forth on the metal genres but ultimately decide to just listen to whatever fits the mood from Dimmu Borgir to In Flames with In Flames being the majority of the time lol.

Kinks' The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society and Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire), both hugely under-rated albums. I listened to these with my son on a long drive today. The reason they weren't more commercial is due to the retrospective themes of British life in the 19th and 20th centuries and the change along the way. 'Brit' pop was out by the mid-sixties and Hendrix solos and psychedelic music was definitely 'in'. Heck, my son and I discussed the fact that Abbey Road by the Beatles, released in October 1969, received mixed reviews by critics as it too did not fit in to what was popular at the time. Incidentally, Abbey Road went on to become the biggest selling Beatles album.

We then had a little time to sample some songs off the Kinks' Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One, specifically, the songs used by Wes Anderson in his 2007 film, The Darjeeling Limited. If you've seen this great film with Owen Wilson, Jason Schwartzman and Adrien Brody, you'd know the songs (Powerman, Strangers and This Time Tomorrow).

Sufjan Stevens' new Carrie & Lowell album is hitting the spot for me right now. Excellent new album from this guy, but be prepared for a good cry...It's all about his estranged mother who died a few years ago.

Here's a song:

Kinks' The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society and Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire), both hugely under-rated albums. I listened to these with my son on a long drive today. The reason they weren't more commercial is due to the retrospective themes of British life in the 19th and 20th centuries and the change along the way. 'Brit' pop was out by the mid-sixties and Hendrix solos and psychedelic music was definitely 'in'. Heck, my son and I discussed the fact that Abbey Road by the Beatles, released in October 1969, received mixed reviews by critics as it too did not fit in to what was popular at the time. Incidentally, Abbey Road went on to become the biggest selling Beatles album.

We then had a little time to sample some songs off the Kinks' Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One, specifically, the songs used by Wes Anderson in his 2007 film, The Darjeeling Limited. If you've seen this great film with Owen Wilson, Jason Schwartzman and Adrien Brody, you'd know the songs (Powerman, Strangers and This Time Tomorrow).

Something Else by the Kinks this morning. Perfect for the busy, and annoying, Sydney traffic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • JohnS changed the title to What are you listening to?