Advice - montecristo especial no 1

Hello everyone!

First and foremost I want to apologize if this thread is put on the wrong forum. This is my first post so hope you're patient with me :)

A few months ago I tried my first cigar. It was a quintero and I didn't like it very much. I guess that's because I was a total rookie + it was very fresh + it was stored in a overly humid environment. 

So I started sampling all cigars I could.. Mostly non Cubans. I enjoyed many but then I bought an aged montecristo especiales no1 from 2011 and WOW. It got me so hooked.. After that I started buying only CC cigars with some age. One of the best decisions I've made :D nothing gives me the same satisfaction.

So now I'm looking for a box of montecristo especiales no 1 but they are sold out everywhere. I've emailed every store and no one knows when they'll be getting them in Stock again.

Today I found a guy who have a box from 2001. He want to sell it for $750 is that a good price?

I worry that they are "too old" is that even possible? If someone have tried such an aged montecristo especial no 1 I would be very thankful for your thoughts about it :)

thanks!

No, there are people on this forum who have smoked 100+ year old cigars. As long as they have been stored properly, they will be fine. The price is what you are willing to pay. These cigars come up on 24:24. I would just wait until the FOH auctions comes up in the next month or thereabouts, or 24:24. I personally wouldn't pay that much, but I know some that might.

Also! Age isn't everything. I highly recommend you try 2017 and 2018 box code cigars. Try them fresh to see if they suit you. Might be surprised what you find. Venture out and try the other marcas too.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Welcome aboard. 

Very few Monte Especial were made throughout 2018, hence the drought. 

To be honest, if I was 5 minutes into cigars, I wouldn't recommend purchasing vintage stock.  You really need to smoke,  read, hang out and learn or you will get burnt. There are no ifs and buts here. 

$750 is a great price for a well maintained legitimate box of Monte Especial.  Chances for a rookie that it is?   way south of 50%

By "rookie" i don't mean to be disparaging. However there are a ton of folk on here who have been scorched when starting out. 

Good advice here, @AbasCigar. I'll add to it. There are a ton of vitolas that smoke quite well young. Peruse the 'FOH'ers daily smoke' thread, and you'll see a lot of those vitolas mentioned as 'forum favorites'. Buy from the 24:24 - rob's flavor descriptions and aging recommendations are good. You'll be quite pleased with a lot of these [far more affordable and readily sourced] vitolas, and get a good sense of which flavor profiles are up your alley. You'll have no shortage of opportunities to pick up other good examples of montecristos, if you decide that's the profile that best suits you, FYI.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for your answers!!  It means alot to me.

All I have been doing (except work and university) is to read about and smoke cigars. And already got burned a few times already :') but I guess it's part of learning anything. 

This time I'll not be in a hurry thanks to you guys. Hopefully I'll be able to find a 2016-2018 box for a good price. That would be perfect for me. The search continues :D

Can you recommend any other cigar that have the same "profile" to it?

Thanks again for your warm welcoming 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AbasCigar said:

All I have been doing (except work and university) is to read about and smoke cigars. And already got burned a few times already :') but I guess it's part of learning anything. 

This time I'll not be in a hurry thanks to you guys. Hopefully I'll be able to find a 2016-2018 box for a good price. That would be perfect for me. The search continues :D

Monte 4 and 5 are going to be reminiscent (if not the same) profiles, and readily available. Especiale no 2 will be very close, and slightly less difficult to source - emphasis on slightly.

• Thanks 1

Just now, AbasCigar said:

Not a problem. 

Monte Especial is the best of all Monte!  You can't replace it but you can go close to the profile. 

Monte Especial Number 2. 

Montecristo Petit Edmundo

• Thanks 1

Don't forget the #3! Maybe grab a sampler of different Montes and see what floats your boat.

Buying vintage can be great but you can also get stung, you don't know how they have been looked after unless it's someone you trust. You can usually get #3's with a couple of years on them easily as they don't tend to move as fast as the rest of the line and the risk isn't too great if it's a good vendor

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Not a problem. 

Monte Especial is the best of all Monte!  You can't replace it but you can go close to the profile. 

Monte Especial Number 2. 

Montecristo Petit Edmundo

40 minutes ago, CaptainQuintero said:

Don't forget the #3!

cap is correct. Monte 3 and Monte 1, 

Finally ,the Trinidad Fundadores. I just finished going through them and thought of this thread.  One of the cigars of the past 12 months. 

• Thanks 1

Wow! Wish that I found this place earlier :)

I have a few Trinidad fundadores on the way already. Now I really can't wait to try them out :D

Yesterday I tried a partagas d 4.... Loved it. It felt very "serious" and not messing around. I guess this is a cigar that the godfather would like ?

Now I'll be checking the 24:24 (thanks for the heads up!) on a daily basis. And I'll keep trying new ones.. Thanks for making my "to try list" even longer with all suggestions :D... It literally grows by the day and I love it 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AbasCigar said:

Today I found a guy who have a box from 2001

Being relatively new to cigars. A good thing to be aware of (if you are not already) it that around 99-2001,  a great deal of cigars were rolled so tightly as to make them nearly impossible to smoke. This does not mean they are all bad from this era.   But 'buyer beware'!!! unless you are able to see, touch, smell cigars that you are buying at a premium, then it's a big risk. 

Generally the consensus on the forum is that "the best vintage cigars you'll smoke, will be your own"  i.e. in time, and with you're own personal care, you will be 100% sure the cigars have been bought, stored, and maintained in perfect condition, and you will of given yourself the best chance of having a great vintage experience. 

That said, if you're buying or swapping vintage singles from trusted FOH that you'll come to meet, this is also a great option.  Like many have already said on here, don't buy big, or rare early, as you may get burned my people wanting to offload problem/non ideal vintage stock. 

With the FOH Auctions just around the corner, you've also joined at a great time!

Enjoy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, AbasCigar said:

Hello everyone!

First and foremost I want to apologize if this thread is put on the wrong forum. This is my first post so hope you're patient with me :)

A few months ago I tried my first cigar. It was a quintero and I didn't like it very much. I guess that's because I was a total rookie + it was very fresh + it was stored in a overly humid environment. 

So I started sampling all cigars I could.. Mostly non Cubans. I enjoyed many but then I bought an aged montecristo especiales no1 from 2011 and WOW. It got me so hooked.. After that I started buying only CC cigars with some age. One of the best decisions I've made :D nothing gives me the same satisfaction.

So now I'm looking for a box of montecristo especiales no 1 but they are sold out everywhere. I've emailed every store and no one knows when they'll be getting them in Stock again.

Today I found a guy who have a box from 2001. He want to sell it for $750 is that a good price?

I worry that they are "too old" is that even possible? If someone have tried such an aged montecristo especial no 1 I would be very thankful for your thoughts about it :)

thanks!

I have come close to getting burned on 2001 vintage stock before at some B&M stores.  Buying blind over the internet from that time period is not something I would do with my money. However, that being said, if $750 was not a lot of money to me, Monte Especial is one of my favorite sticks (I got 6 singles out of a 2003 box for just under $175 American and it was worth it for me) so I would take the punt if $ was no object.  Sadly, money is an object for me right now, so I would not buy the box.

• Thanks 1

As a student,  $750 is alot of money but I loved them so I found them to be worth it. I've never purchased anything for myself for this amount before haha. Problem is that I'll have to buy blindly and that's not smart.  Thanks to all you guys here I've saved alot and will use half of the money I collected (by selling other stuff) on sampling all the cigars that I've been recommended to and the rest I'll just save until I find a box of something I want really bad.. Like montecristo especial no 1  :D

Looks great! If you do find the odd tightly rolled cigar (give them a suck test before lighting) then throwing it in the freezer for half an hour can work out the issue.

Until you learn about how squishy a cigar needs to be to know how the draw will be, a good trick is before you cut the head place your mouth around half of the foot and suck, if you get air coming through from the uncovered half then the draw should be fine generally

If you feel and hard knots along the cigar you can sometimes loosen them up and giving them a roll/massage before thumb and finger

If you are unlucky enough to get a plugged cigar that wont respond to any of the above don't be afraid to cut the cigar down to get a smaller but smokeable stick, or even two shorter ones :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/9/2019 at 4:01 AM, CaptainQuintero said:

Don't forget the #3! Maybe grab a sampler of different Montes and see what floats your boat.

Buying vintage can be great but you can also get stung, you don't know how they have been looked after unless it's someone you trust. You can usually get #3's with a couple of years on them easily as they don't tend to move as fast as the rest of the line and the risk isn't too great if it's a good vendor

Surprised Captain didn’t mention it ? but why not give Quintero a second chance - they can be very tasty

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nothing wrong with a Monte Cristo #1. Not as long, skinny, or expensive as the Especial, but it is kinda long and pretty skinny. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2019 at 3:43 PM, AbasCigar said:

Just got theese pics haha I must say they look beautiful! ? received_2188474021367870.thumb.jpeg.923a5d6065dfc98aebd7177901d2ac7b.jpeg

Nice looking smokes, however, buying blind is always a risk. And as others have stated, 00 to 01 were known for construction issues. If your source has a stellar reputation and will accept returns then you've mitigated some of your risk. However, if that is not the case, I'd be skeptical of the deal. Including why the cigars seem to be too short for the box.

It sounds like you're going to pass on these which is probably a good idea. You've been presented with a number of good alternatives from Forum members.

You're fortunate that you've stumbled into this community so early in your smoking "career". Some have spent decades learning some hard lessons in the pursuit of a good Habanos cigar.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ErikB72 said:

Surprised Captain didn’t mention it ? but why not give Quintero a second chance - they can be very tasty

It goes without saying, I mean none of us have up on Cohiba after getting a few duds :D

Some are a bit naff though, looking at you londres extra, it's always the panetela for fresh hay sweetness, brevas for rustic richness then the favoritos for the dog walk/gardening

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a box of the Esp. No. 1 from '01 and not a single dud in the box.  Granted I bought the box around '05 and there were plenty of good ones still left.  I love lancero's, but forget I have this box.  I would for sure be hesitant on buying from '01 of anything at this point unless seeing the box in person first.

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2019 at 8:43 PM, AbasCigar said:

received_780607308983604.thumb.jpeg.984a7b11810013df61e9959902dd2604.jpeg

Just a small thing but that box code EOOO is a 1999 box code. I know it's a bit confusing but EOOO is September '99

Best of luck with the cigars, as others have said, there is a risk with cigars from '99 - '01 but those that are good can be very good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No idea if price is good, they are worth what a buyer is willing to pay.

No idea if these are too old. I’ve seen videos where age (like 1960) leads to bland and mild, but still enjoyable.  But these are only 10 years old, not 60.

Especial No.1 have been up on 24:24, so they have been available in the past few months.

My thoughts:  I’m calling that 2011 Especial No. 1 first time infatuation and happy you really enjoyed it. I can tell it was memorable.  I’d bet you have a multitude of excellent cc experiences like this in the future, regardless of this box.

Gamble on the box or not? I have no idea.  Old stock like this is out of my realm, but risk can deliver reward.

Would you regret the missed opportunity if you pass? Would you regret paying for them if they they don’t match the 2011 exactly? Because they may not. Expect some to be damaged or duds.

Is there any way to get the sellers reputation? Or try one before committing to all of them?

I’d love to hear your comparison between the 1999, 2011, and current production.

If you think they and the seller are legitimate, I say go for it, and learn.

• Thanks 1