24:24 Box Codes Matching

23 minutes ago, encephalization said:

The tone in your posts isn't that friendly, I really don't see the point in hounding a member that is new to the boards with your personal opinions about taste or the importance of box codes. Neither of those were solicited in the original post.

Taste is obviously a personal preference (if nothing else, your RASS MUR can serve as an example) and so is the importance of box codes. OP has a legitimate question (most likely with a perfectly fine answer).

my personal opinion about taste? Excuse me?You are surely misunderstood something there.

The question was answered too I believe. 

Sorry about the tone :) wasn't meant to be 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do my best in being accurate on Box codes.  The process I go through is as follows.  I go through my stock (part or full) of say Partagas Lusitania.  I sort the boxes into 4 piles.  F

Before goung public, I believe this should have been discussed with Rob by those who care about it.  Was this done?

interesting thread. i wonder if a few people are getting just a little too anal about this? i mean that in the nicest way, of course. never bought a box because of a code in my life and cannot ev

Not a code chaser here.  If some do, good on them.  I have been more than thrilled with my purchases.  I look at the box date when I first get them for future reference.  Not an issue for me just what I do.  I have the upmost trust in Rob and the crew when I make a purchase.  I do not care about box codes but I do understand those that do.  Let me be clear, I put my faith in Rob and have never been let down.

I know I am in the minority as far as box codes go but I want to smoke the cigars.  That is why I love this place.  And no I have never gotten the pretty box that was shown in the pics.  I do not care.  I have never gotten a bad box from the FOH crew and I would never think otherwise.

• Like 2

I always enter each new purchase into my spreadsheet when they finally land. Box code and date are information that I include, but I never screen grab or write down exactly what the offering is. Because of this, I really have no clue what my hit rate is on the "advertised code". Its just not that important to me, but I certainly understand if it is to others. As long as the box is the right date (on some cigars) like the ENE 15 Fonseca 1s the other day, or say the Vintage offerings I'm ok. I don't know if you saved any of the posts, but it might be helpful to go back and check. I know there have been a few times where in the heat of the moment I placed and order for something slightly different than what I was expecting. (usually different packaging)  

15 hours ago, miamipadronsmoker said:

I recently stopped purchasing from here myself because of this same problem. Only one code listed many times. No mostly written. Never got the code. Always seemed to happen with a more desirable code. Anyone ever get a box of ETP Lusitanias????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do, ETP JUL 16 and i bought it here.

15 hours ago, miamipadronsmoker said:

I recently stopped purchasing from here myself because of this same problem. Only one code listed many times. No mostly written. Never got the code. Always seemed to happen with a more desirable code. Anyone ever get a box of ETP Lusitanias????

No I haven't... I picked up a ETP OCT 16 PSP HQ  (Mix)  on a 24:24 but got an ASO SEP 16 instead.  It's happened before on a few of them but I don't count the PE's to match.  Its the PSP/HQ's and handpicked that I'm inquiring about.  Even though it's been 17yrs since my first CC, I'm still new to CC compared to many in our hobby.  Still learning here about codes and if it even matters.

95+% of the time, the code is what is listed. Yes, as Rob says, some get by. But each box is inspected according to Rob's standardized criteria. And these days, that's all that matters to me. Code chasing is pointless unless you're dealing with El Laguito and maybe La Corona recently, which has just been way to the right on the curve overall for the last few years. If I'm buying blind, I'll code chase a bit. But when I'm buying from Rob, there's no need. If an odd code squeaks through I know it's as good as the stated code. Great stuff and bad stuff comes out of every factory these days. The days of provincial factory bias are long over. Cubatabaco has made great strides in factory uniformity over the last decade. If it passes Rob's inspection, it's fine. 

• Like 3

You stopped buying because of codes? Huh...

• Like 1

Here's my 2 cents...

What I enjoy doing the most when I am in Havana (aside from strolling aimlessly around the city) is to go to my favorite LCDH, open boxes I am interested in to find gems. 

I believe that Rob's standards are as high as mine, if not higher considering his experience and the fact that he has probably opened/inspected more boxes than all the members of this forum combined.

In short, I entirely trust his judgement. If I didn't I would buy elsewhere.

That is what is so unique about FOH.

I would rather rely on Rob's expertise than on a box code - as many posters have stated before me...

His "seconds" are better than 80% of what you'll find in B&Ms. That is good enough for me.

Again, just my 2 cents...

• Like 1

Excuse me lads but I never saw the word fanboyism before so I went and looked it up.

I find this site so educational every day.

Canada thanks you.

Fanboyism. Fanboyism. Fanboyism...  

***EDIT*** I just realized I am a dated cigar buyer, so the date on the bottom does matter to me. My post makes me a hypocrite.  But I only have a couple of sources and this is one. Because of Rob.

Fangirlism I guess.

CB.

• Like 2

I agree with the " hand picked is hand picked " school of thought.

I may discover a great box with a code I have never seen. Happens some times.

Before I found 24:24 I received  some pitiful cigars by shopping blind.

I have never gotten a mediocre box from Rob, and a few have become benchmark boxes.

Rob does a great job, and I thank him profusely.

If you cannot appreciate what he does for us, please don't bitch and moan.

There are other places to shop that don't care what is going out in the box.

Some of them do not even check for damage......

• Like 1

The one thing you can rest assured about is that unless you are personally inspecting the box before purchase Rob delivers more boxes with the code "OMG" than any other merchant that exists!

• Like 2