The older I get.....

I have noticed a few things about myself as I get closer to my 50th in Feb thinking.gif

1. I talk to myself more and more. Seriously, there are days I give myself a serious kick in the arse! Others where I allow myself a pat on the back. Unfortunately i am doing both out loud which draws some astonishing looks from those around me!

it was only a month or so ago that I was the behaviour of a woman in front of me peeved me no end. I had some nasty thoughts. Unfortunately I said them out loud .....not meaning to ohmy.png People...is this normal?

2. Tolerance is in decline.

I am generally a happy go lucky bloke. I could once let things slide and look at the big picture. Right now the big picture encompasses the next 2 seconds of what peeved me off. i have taken to counting to 10 when such occurrences hit. Unfortunately....I am counting out loud (see point 1) which is causing all and sundry around me to scurry for the nearest safe house.

3. I am liking easier drawing cigars.

For the love of god I am turning into Ken!

I use to love the Cuban draw where you need to "pull" on a cigar. Better flavour due to the cooler bur etal. These days it is increasingly distressing me. I am slowly cutting down the offending parts of the cigar until the cigar resembles a nub!

4. I don't take calls

OK....I take Di's and mums. I return all calls within a few hours if I know who is calling. I haven't checked my message bank for a year. I am not sure what the number is to check the message bank so I just change carriers every two years. Appalling.

5. I am a stickler for cleanliness. The slightest thing out of alignment is annoying me. I use to laugh at Smithy's anal retentive nature....now I am turning into him!

6. I can't stay still. My inability to wait for anything started about 5 years ago. It drives Di nuts....3 people in line is deemed a queue and I am out of there. 2 of those people were us! Traffic lights now annoy me. I talk to them (out loud).

There are ore but I am depressing myself!

Are these a sign of aging or am I just going bonkers! i look forward to the advice from Quinquagenarians + rolleyes.gif

• Like 4

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

3. I am liking easier drawing cigars. For the love of god I am turning into Ken! where the hell does this come from? i think the sign of age is your complete disconnect with reality. i might

I have noticed a few things about myself as I get closer to my 50th in Feb 1. I talk to myself more and more. Seriously, there are days I give myself a serious kick in the arse! Others where I all

From one quinquagenarian's standpoint I have to agree with much that's been said. Some days I'm doing the morning ablutions and my wife asks me what I just said. Seems I'm talking to myself in the mi

Im not even 30 yet, but i notice as i get older i'm becoming more "impatient". I hate waiting. In Dubai recently as i got off my plane to enter the airport i had to wait in this massive security line to enter the airport and my boarding gates for connecting flights... i proceeded to go OUT of the airport through immigration, then do a uturn, pass checkin gates, pass immigration, and pass security to get airside. I don't wait at restaurants with queues. If i make a reservation and the table is not ready on time, i walk.

Lifes too short to wait for ****... i'd rather keep on moving.

Also i like looser draws than tight ones. It's too hard to suck concrete through a straw, i enjoy the easy draw with bulk smoke and if i have to smoke slower then i'll do that.

• Like 1

Add claustrophobia to the list. We travel quite a bit and my biggest fear is not sitting in the aisle on the air plane. Got stuck by the window a couple year ago and seriously though about opening the door and jumping.

Sit in the back of the bus, forget about it, I'd go nuts. I can't even sit in the back seat of the car without panicking.

I talk to myself all the time lol3.gif it is because I only want expect advice so I ask myself rotfl.gif

As you know I have no patience as well, thank god I have a Nissan Patrol, those idiots that go 40 in a 70 zone move really quickly when they see my bumper bar .

I talk to myself all the time lol3.gif it is because I only want expect advice so I ask myself rotfl.gif

As you know I have no patience as well, thank god I have a Nissan Patrol, those idiots that go 40 in a 70 zone move really quickly when they see my bumper bar .

lol3.gif

I talk to myself because I am ensured of intelligent conversation that way.

Some other signs that you might be becoming a codger:

• Other peoples kids are all hideous monsters
  • Older women become increasingly attractive
  • Younger women even more so
  • You can compute age/2 plus 7 easily - just to confirm you are not a complete pervert
  • Wonder if you'll live long enough to age those 2004 Leoville Barton's enough - start calculating years left
  • Don't want to drive anywhere without a really specific purpose
  • Find Justin Beaber and Maroon 5 intolerable (my mother said that of "Hotel California" - so go figure)
  • You start to hate Christmas music
  • Start smoking a pipe because its too cold for cigars
  • Unable to text with any great speed
  • Own a typewriter
  • Still like refer to music "albums"
  • Need new glasses annually
  • Have various lumps and bumps cut out on a regular basis
  • Have your next colonscopy scheduled
  • Check on your health insurance before travelling
  • Detest travelling because your back hurts
  • Know the physiotherapist closest to your office
  • Know your pharmacists first name
  • Move from your gigantic house into a condo (just did that) - mostly becuase you don't want to mow the lawn/shovel the snow anymore
  • Own a cat
  • Say to people: "when I was your age", or "when I trained.."
  • You actually know who Che Guevarra was, and don't have a hat with his face on it
  • Can remember the Berlin wall coming down
  • Can remember the Berlin wall going up ?????? (Not me your honour!)
  • Can name at least half of the cricket squad in the 69/70 test series between Oz and SA

I talk to myself because I am ensured of intelligent conversation that way.

Some other signs that you might be becoming a codger:

• Other peoples kids are all hideous monsters YES
  • Older women become increasingly attractive NOT REALLY
  • Younger women even more so YES
  • You can compute age/2 plus 7 easily - just to confirm you are not a complete pervert DO WHAT?
  • Wonder if you'll live long enough to age those 2004 Leoville Barton's enough - start calculating years left - 04's? YOU CAN START ON THOSE ANY TIME NOW.
  • Don't want to drive anywhere without a really specific purpose SINCE THE FIRSST DAY I GOT THE LICENCE.
  • Find Justin Beaber and Maroon 5 intolerable (my mother said that of "Hotel California" - so go figure) WHO?
  • You start to hate Christmas music BAR LITTLE DRUMMER BOY, SINCE I WAS FIVE.
  • Start smoking a pipe because its too cold for cigars NEVER
  • Unable to text with any great speed SINCE DAY 1.
  • Own a typewriter NO
  • Still like refer to music "albums" YES.
  • Need new glasses annually SURPRISINGLY NO.
  • Have various lumps and bumps cut out on a regular basis NOT FOR A VERY LONG TIME, TOUCH WOOD.
  • Have your next colonscopy scheduled NO, BUT I DO HAVE TO MAE THAT CALL TOMORROW.
  • Check on your health insurance before travelling SOMETIMES.
  • Detest travelling because your back hurts BACK HAS HURT FOR YEARS
  • Know the physiotherapist closest to your office NO
  • Know your pharmacists first name NO.
  • Move from your gigantic house into a condo (just did that) - mostly becuase you don't want to mow the lawn/shovel the snow anymore NO.
  • Own a cat NEVER
  • Say to people: "when I was your age", or "when I trained.." POSSIBLY
  • You actually know who Che Guevarra was, and don't have a hat with his face on it YES AND ABSOLUTELY NEVER
  • Can remember the Berlin wall coming down YES, I ACTUALLY HAVE A BIT OF IT SOMEWHERE BUT CAN'T REMEMBER WHERE, SO THAT CAN'T BE GOOD.
  • Can remember the Berlin wall going up ?????? (Not me your honour!) FORTUNATELY NOT.
  • Can name at least half of the cricket squad in the 69/70 test series between Oz and SA LAWRY STACKPOLE, MCCKENZIE, CHAPPELL I (whom lawry dubbed best batsman in the world on arrival - went down a treat), CONNELLY? JARMAN, WALTERS, GLEESON (that is top of head so i may be wrong), playing the brilliant POLLOCK BROTHERS, the equally brilliant BARRY RICHARDS, PROCTER, CAPTAIN ALI BACHER, (POSSIBLY BARLOW, GODDARD?). we copped a flogging but in fairness, it was after a long tour of india in the bad old days when the entire team was sick as parrots, not that it would have change the result.

Brilliant on the cricketers - yep Ali was the captain, and Barry Richard's teeth where blinding white grimmaces every time he hit the ball. - Yep - certified codger.

I sat on the grass bank at the Wanderers and couldn't believe the length of Peter Pollock's runup. Tried to emulate him as a kid, but the coach wasn't impressed with how long it took me to bowl an over and pulled me!

P.S - on the math equation - it's OK to date someone who is older than half your age plus 7. Anyone younger is just wrong. So my 52 year old colleague just married a 35 year old, and we've been hackling him since.....

Brilliant on the cricketers - yep Ali was the captain, and Barry Richard's teeth where blinding white grimmaces every time he hit the ball. - Yep - certified codger.

I sat on the grass bank at the Wanderers and couldn't believe the length of Peter Pollock's runup. Tried to emulate him as a kid, but the coach wasn't impressed with how long it took me to bowl an over and pulled me!

saw richards score 160 or so at the gabba. greatest innings i think i ever saw. by tea against a top attack. spoke to some of the qld players in later years. they were in awe. i remember even the members booing when chappell was on strike. we just wanted to watch this brilliant brilliant batsman. a fair case can be put that bradman aside obviously, graeme pollock and richards the next two greatest batsmen ever. i know indians will scream about tendulkar but i would go with them.

Well, Chief, I'm only three years behind you and I've seen much of the same. I'm sure some will give you all the fluff and hugs and kisses version as in you need more me time, take care of yourself, start meditating, more yoga, more long walks, more vacation...but I truly believe, especially as a business owner, we are more alone in many ways in our day to day work life as you can't truly be friends with your employees. Those that work with a bunch of peers can share and relate all day at work, as the employer you are it, nobody else at work likely can truly relate to your day to day life. Love to think there's an easy answer but I doubt there is. But I do think, for the sake of those closest to us, we need to make adjustments to keep our tempers in check... cut unnecessary stress!!!

I am only 40 but I have matured early I guess. I can agree to all of these things except the draw of my cigar. I like them both depending on the cigar and the day.

As for not taking calls and having a full voicemail, I believe I am the only person under 80 who doesn't have a cell phone. Smart or not, If I am not at work or home, then I don't want to be bothered. It was tough for the first month or two, but the last 4 years have been bliss. I recently read a thread on this site that asked about peeves while smoking and most peoples' peeves revolved around getting an unwanted phone call. Problem solved.

Prez, Enjoy the process. Resistance is futile.

• Like 1

I hear more and more clicks and clacks when I stand up or get up from a kneeling position.

I cut my own hair, what I have, and now I have to spend more time on my ears than my head.

My friends are finally catching up with me in the hair-loss stakes.

I let my stubble grow and now I'm more polar bear than badger.

I'm Facebook friends with my kids, though they are still young for it.

Britney Spears is recent.

1993 seems like it was in the last decade.

Jars don't open so easily.

Nobody has offered me their seat yet, I'm actually looking forward to that.

Right behind you, Rob.

• younger people are becoming more and more irritating
  • find I'm telling the same stories over, because they're classics, dammit
  • need new progressive glasses every two years as it's harder to read up close
  • hair you didn't know you had is turning white or gray
  • more sounds from joints and other bits
  • thinking more slowly but more deeply
  • able to take time away from the device and not go into withdrawal

Wilkey

• Like 1

Prez,

It's a stage of life thing. It's a *****, but it will get better once you stop fighting it. At 53, I can now manage a queue of two or three people. Other people's little kids are only hideous if they are loud. Mostly I stopped talking to myself because I never listened - the quiet is nice.

Just go with it...

Prez,

It's a stage of life thing. It's a *****, but it will get better once you stop fighting it.

Just go with it..

With all due respect, this is 100% wrong imho.

As you age and your skills and strength decline, one must make a concerted effort all the time to stay healthy; emotionally, mentally and physically. Don't let your advancing age make you grumpy, bitter and impatient. DO NOT go gently into that good night, fight like a motherf'ing tiger every single day.... spotlight.gif

• Like 1