How many is enough?

Jeez, all the vitriol.

Was just curious how many you all thought would be a point of satisfaction.

Yes poorman, as I agrees with Stanislaw on this one. I didn't mean to come off as that critical... I just look at cigars as such a relaxing hobby and a very important staple in a life where everything else is over analyzed. It's an outlet for me to enjoy that 45-90mins of pure bliss at times and get away from it all... There's no point where it's enough I guess because, and my point being, I don't really think of ot that way. If I die, with 10,000 cigars left over, I'd better hope one of my unborn sons is cigar smoker because he will have the most amazing collection at his age to enjoy... That's how I look at it.

This is just my opinion.. Didn't me to offend

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BUZZKILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winter is essentially a 5 month break for me, the rest of the year I go through about 50 cigars or 2 a week so I suppose the weather is bit of a saviour for me (my wallet) I've two wineadoors with abo

You can always sell your older cigars to buy new ones. My buying habits are influenced by my financial circumstances, storage, and the the fear of outrageous government taxation (more outrageous than

at 58 years old ... a longgggg time ago i moved past the number of cigars i will smoke in my lifetime ... i still keep on buyin 3 times as many as i smoke/gift tho .

derrek

I was going to say, this figure does not take into account the massive amount that you gift out, or how many you will leave for someone - I'd say probably 1/3 to 1/2 of my collection.

That said, my dream is to one day have enough cigars, so that I can dump all my cigars onto the floor, fill it up like a pool -- if you will - and swim in it. That is when I will know that I have made it.

• Like 1

I have enough stock for the next 3-5 years so I only buy as many cigars as I smoke.

I don't want to have stock for 5 or more years because I do not prefer old cigars.

3-7 years old cigars are best for my taste.

I would have to smoke (too) old cigars in future if I bought more.

You can always sell your older cigars to buy new ones.

My buying habits are influenced by my financial circumstances, storage, and the the fear of outrageous government taxation (more outrageous than it currently is). I also see the price of cigars increasing significantly over the next 10 years or so as China, India, Brazil an other economies gain more of an appreciation for cuban cigars (I've seen this happen with wine). Also, at some point the cuban embargo will end and I anticipate a rise in CC prices. So I buy when I can, as much as I can, given my storage and disposable income constraints. The way I look at it, I can always sell any overstock I have, if need be.

• Like 3

I'm also one of those that believes adequate stock on hand must also include supplies for parties, gifts and friends. I haven't kept track, but it seems like I give more away than I consume. I don't really have much of an organized master plan, but am aiming for having 1,000-2,000 sticks in some sort of medium to long term aging/storage, and once that's accomplished I expect that the equivalent of a box of 25/month would likely come close to keeping up with current use and restock of the aging collection.

I wouldn't be surprised to see my 1k-2k goal actually balloon to double that though. Mostly because I've gotten intrigued with seeing how some of these smoke at 5-10-15 years, and that means putting away more than one cab or box of a marca/vitola. There's so much variation in any box, and from box to box, that it seems like (to me anyway) that you can't successfully age cigars in small lots.

Seems like I'm gonna have to add on to the 'ol homestead for this! tongue.png

Of course if I was REALLY smart, I'd just BUY already old stuff (as needed and skip all the storage issues) . . . it would probably be cheaper in the end! laugh.png

This is eye opening for me. I never stopped to figure out how many boxes I go through and how many I would need on hand at any given time.

I smoke about 8-10 cigars a week, so that's about 470 cigars a year on average, or about 19 boxes. I generally don't go for the high end stuff, so say an average of $200/box. That's almost $4000/year. And that doesn't count the Aristocrat cabinet humidor I need, nor the bottles of rum I drink out of with each and every smoke.

YIKES!! surprised.gifdollarsign.gifdollarsign.gifdollarsign.gif

No sympathy for the US members. Try doing that in Aussie dollars!!! 2.5X what you're quoting here. The economy is alright by global standards but not 2.5x better. Tax, tax, more tax and plain paper packaging...but like the T-shirt says, Keep calm and have a Cigar.

I try to maintain an inventory of around 700 cuban cigars. I enjoy approximately 250 a year and purchase as needed to maintain a reasonable amount of aged stock at any given time. I also give away around 50 a year on entertaining friends etc... I'm happy with the balance I have going.

• Like 1

I buy for the reason that taxes are increasing in EU almost every year (our lcdh added 10% to all cigar prices this January).

Generally I smoke about 200 cigars per year and currently have a stock of around 600.

… for the true Habanotarian, there is no ending number.

My problem is that Habanos and Tabacuba have made it less interesting to compile a personal catalogue of cigars in any great numbers today. Okay… so you own 50 boxes of RASS. If you love them, well it is not a problem but you do have to store them correctly to keep them prime, and that could be a problem. Of course your tastes could change…

I found that I had more interest in buying cigars when there were more choices and more extraordinary cigars. Cigar keeping for the future is a no brainer but there is no reason to take big positions in cigars that are not extraordinary. If you need 1000 robustos to keep you secure then buy them. I have no such need.

I could have easily bought all coronas, petit coronas and lonsdales and been happy with the purchase. I bought a lot but I also relied on Tabacuba to support me in the future and bought a larger variety of cigars, some of which I regret buying (when compared to my favorites). If you can take anything from my post, learn from my mistakes!

There are never enough of the cigars you consider your favorite. If you know what you like and they are available, I suggest that you stock them while you can. You can always experiment with unproven cigars in the future, but if you have a favorite, buy them in a supply that you think will last a while. You never know when those folks at Tabacuba will pull the rug out from underneath you!

Stocking a great cigar is never a waste of money.

My 2cts. -The Pig

• Like 1

I have around 400 in the humidor. Last year I smoked a little over 50. I try to rotate what I smoke to age everything. I want to buy more boxes, but my winedor is packed. I need a aristrocrat.....

I thought i had a number in mind until I saw USA's cigar collection in the photo's page an now I'm not so sure.

I figure as long as I can smoke a different stick every day of the month, if i want to, then I've got enough invintory and variety to keep me going.

As to the question of how many it too many?

I guess if you've got the cash to afford them all, and the storeage to keep them, there is no such thing as "too many"

I see some of the members here who have collections numbering in the 10'000's and think "theres more cigars there than you could smoke in 2 lifetimes" but I always figure that having too many cigars will always be better than not having enough.

Let's face it , no one here has enough, and the more you have the more you buy. The guy who has 5000 cigars is ordering a box as we speak, and the guy with 100 is deciding which singles to get. It's a disease, we can't wait to get that package in the mail. We rip through the packing envelop like a kid at Christmas. Then we unwrap the package and the drool,is dripping from our mouths. The Opening of the box and our reaction..... Wow wow wow .

Now where the hell are we going to put these things.

• Like 2

Let's face it , no one here has enough, and the more you have the more you buy. The guy who has 5000 cigars is ordering a box as we speak, and the guy with 100 is deciding which singles to get. It's a disease, we can't wait to get that package in the mail. We rip through the packing envelop like a kid at Christmas. Then we unwrap the package and the drool,is dripping from our mouths. The Opening of the box and our reaction..... Wow wow wow .

Now where the hell are we going to put these things.

So true.

I've got a 500ct, a 150ct humidor full and 3 boxes presently in the freezer with a tuppidor waiting for them. Waiting for another DM humidor. I don't smoke on any regular schedule but normal is maybe half a dozen to a dozen sticks a month between myself and what I give away. So in the process of converting to CC's and realize if I plan on aging anything CC I don't have enough room to put any decent amount of aging unless I reduce my usage.. but what fun would that be.