How many is enough?

Lately I've been thinking about how many boxes I would need to be content.

Coupled with the 'Got a box en route' thread, got me thinking more about this, as I have more than several en route.

So I did a little math.

Some of us smoke more than one a day, some way less. I figure for the winter days where I don't smoke one every day, I make up for it during the summer. So, one a day is what I'll use.

Assuming an average of 30 years left to live for most of us, give or take a decade; at one cigar per day, makes for 10,950 cigars, or 438 boxes at 25 per box.

Using 450 for round numbers sake and the occasional RE/LE's to be purchased, and $250 a box just for rough averages, that's around $112,500.

Now the problem becomes, if I were able to purchase all those now, some would not be very good 5-10-15-20 years out.

It seems that roughly half would be the keep and hold and half would be purchased on a rotating basis, again just using random numbers.

Thus I will be placing an order soon for 225 boxes from our host. smile.png

They should all be here in around ten years.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BUZZKILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winter is essentially a 5 month break for me, the rest of the year I go through about 50 cigars or 2 a week so I suppose the weather is bit of a saviour for me (my wallet) I've two wineadoors with abo

You can always sell your older cigars to buy new ones. My buying habits are influenced by my financial circumstances, storage, and the the fear of outrageous government taxation (more outrageous than

Those numbers are scary to actually see.

I keep avoiding the obvious in order to candy coat it for myself.

I do however base my inventory at 365 cigars per year, and maintain and rotate through a 3-4 years supply based on that number.

Winter is essentially a 5 month break for me, the rest of the year I go through about 50 cigars or 2 a week so I suppose the weather is bit of a saviour for me (my wallet) I've two wineadoors with about 30 boxes in each so really I guess I'm set for 30 years, so until I'm 67.

Hmm, I guess this means I could stop buying.

I don't like this thread anymore !

• Like 4

I use thresholds. I have 3 cigars that I need to have 50 of at any given time, another 3 cigars at least 25 and another 5 cigars at least 13. Whenever I hit one of these thresholds I buy another box. I also have special one-off boxes, like LE or new cigars. If you do the math that's between 290 and 565, plus about another 125 one-offs. On average, that's 550 cigars at any given time, which is about the number that I hover around.

this question is similar to questions like, "why is the sky blue?".... i mean, I could take the time to research and figure it all out but I'd rather just enjoy it..... jester.gif

This is eye opening for me. I never stopped to figure out how many boxes I go through and how many I would need on hand at any given time.

I smoke about 8-10 cigars a week, so that's about 470 cigars a year on average, or about 19 boxes. I generally don't go for the high end stuff, so say an average of $200/box. That's almost $4000/year. And that doesn't count the Aristocrat cabinet humidor I need, nor the bottles of rum I drink out of with each and every smoke.

YIKES!! surprised.gifdollarsign.gifdollarsign.gifdollarsign.gif

• Like 1

Amen to that. Can we just delete this thread?

My God, this thread IS terrible... I almost wish I never clicked on it to read how much money I'm actually spending and would be spending.. I'm signing off on this one boys.

Why is the sky blue? Who cares, just sit back and enjoy it... While smoking a cuban at the same time..(Thank Stanislaw for that comment)

Enough is when my I can't fit another box into my humidor. Then I'll be adding to my OLH...haha

I think the 1000 stick mark is good for me (I'm probably just about there). That should last me 10 yrs based on current rates

Jeez, all the vitriol.

Was just curious how many you all thought would be a point of satisfaction.

Poorman, don't take our silliness and/or sarcasm the wrong way.... i suppose if you were to be serious about it, the answer (for me at least) is there is no limit because why limit yourself to anything? Discipline can be a good thing but when it involves something that relaxes you and makes you happy, sometimes it's best to not take it so seriously....

but if you need any answer, then I simply say 100 billion.... and one.....

I have 2 boxes of my usual vitolas which is robusto, pc or minuto but of course you got have Churchills n pyramides which I generally buy boxes of 10 or rob's sampler. N then there's the lfth which I succumb to more often than I would like to admit. If I have to guess my inventory would be about 500 sticks. N I generally smoke once a week. Pretty good equilibrium of aging n smoking. Now I just stock up boxes that's depleting.