Which Vitola have have you moved away from?

i think once you have been enjoying cigars for some time......you occasionally look back and assess how your own preferences have changed.

You almost have to force me these days to smoke a Double Corona, Churchill or Piramide. Don't get me wrong, some of my favourite cigars are in these vitolas but when i go to pick a cigar for personal consumption....my subconscious screams "Corona Extra/Corona/PC you idiot!" lmao.gif

Back in the 90's/ early 00's it as a "gorgeathon" on DC/Churchill/Piramide. How times change.

What is your favourite vitola/s these days and have you changed your 'go to " sizes over the years?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I started smoking, most of what I smoked were large ring gauge NCs. I thought that more different kinds of tobacco in each puff would equate to more complexity. I've found now that it doesn't r

I know that this is strange to say, but I have moved away from Lonsdales, Coronas and Petit Coronas. I find that I am either smoking large cigars (Churchills, Robustos, DCs, or Edmundos) or thin ciga

I find myself reaching for longer cigars, ring gauge is not as important, if reasonable (up to 50-52RG) Moved away from most shorter than 5 5/8", still love thing and long, as before, if I can find i

I've been force-changed away from many of the longer and thinner vitolas, lonsdales/cervantes/dalias and coronas I used to smoke due to downsizing of the catalog and upsizing of the sticks.....missing the many panatelas/laguitos (1-3) in particular

Alway enjoyed the PC/TPC and still do. Seems that while I've also appreciated the robustos, I am going more and more with those.

Not being able to smoke in bars plus the removal of the Partagas Serie Du Connaissuer No 3 and IMHO the drop in quality of Trini Reyes has meant that I don't smoke many small format cigars anymore. Then again, I'm an occasional smoker compared to many on this forum so when I smoke I usually try and make it special. Therefore, I'm more likely to go for a Cannonazo or Pyramid or Robusto and am working through some aged Partagas Serie Du Connaissuer No 2 (not quite sure what this format is?).

Piramides are essentially gone now, I have half a box of the Cuaba 08 EL and a box of Punch Sabrosos hidden away and that's it.

DCs are out and churchills are limited to a handful a year. The canonazo and double robusto style biggies are the same too.

It's probably 80% corona and petit corona now with the rest being change of pace robustos or demo tasse etc

It's mostly weather based but I'm finding that the big cigars available today just get boring by the half way point

I've moved somewhat from 50 rg down to 40-46 rg cigars over the last year. I smoked almost exclusively NC 50-52 rg for years; didn't really give smaller rg's much of a thought. I think the reason for that is you can hardly find a NC with less than 50 rg these days. Since going to Cuba last year and discovering this site, I've expanded my taste to include smaller rg smokes and find I enjoy them more than the larger rg's.

I still have a healthy mix of lengths to accommodate the smoking time I have throughout the week.

You almost have to force me these days to smoke a Double Corona, Churchill or Piramide.

What is your favourite vitola/s these days and have you changed your 'go to " sizes over the years?

rob

funny you should mention these exact sizes...a while ago(might be 10 years)...on "club stogie"...I called these(and robustos)entry level cigars that we all outgrow sooner or later...I still believe that these sizes are entry level cigars.

statement was not met with universal acceptance...but most agreed.

size of choix these days...marevas...for the last 10 or 13 years.

derrek

I find that I started on the Robusto, Corona / Corona Gorda size then went through a massive PC phase and now I find myself smoking less overall but lots of Churchill and DC's of late. I never had the patience for the longer Vitola's when I was younger and first started smoking.

Robustos used to be my "go to" vitola but of late i've been moving towards longer sticks

When I manage to make the time for a cigar I usually like it to be something with a little more burn time

That being said, I've really gotten into my long and skinnies of late (lanceros, pantelas ect) as well as corona gordas just cause i've found a few blends that i really enjoy in that size.

I smoke less 55+rg sticks than i used to as well these days because most of the larger RG sticks dont have the complexity i've come to enjoy from cigars of late

Favorite = Corona Extra

Moved Away from DC's , I'm sure I will be back to visit them soon, just don't have the time anymore.

My current go to are PCs, Corona Gorda, and minutos. I just dont have the patience for Churchills and DCs. Just this past weekend I ditched a perfectly fine Sir Winston about 1 and 1/4hrs into it. I still had about 1/3 left, but lost my interest.

rob

funny you should mention these exact sizes...a while ago(might be 10 years)...on "club stogie"...I called these(and robustos)entry level cigars that we all outgrow sooner or later...I still believe that these sizes are entry level cigars.

statement was not met with universal acceptance...but most agreed.

size of choix these days...marevas...for the last 10 or 13 years.

derrek

Crazy newbies tracking down Estupendos, Cabinettas and Dom P's.. and wait until they realize how green they were smoking vintage Sir Winnie and Esplendidos..

While you may turn down all of the above cigars I think I'm safe in assuming your "most agreed" wouldn't.

I'm a connoisseur of many things but I've yet to reach a place in any of them where I fail to appreciate simpler things, if you could even make the claim of simpler here.

Sorry if I find your comment absurd, I'm just overly open-minded.

When I first started smoking cigars I was all about the larger RGs.. Now after about 2 years of smoking my go too sizes would have to be Petite Coronas, Corona Extras, Corona Gordas, Dalias and Lanceros.. Pretty much anything from 38-46RG would be my go toos with the long and skinnies being my favorites!

i think once you have been enjoying cigars for some time......you occasionally look back and assess how your own preferences have changed.

You almost have to force me these days to smoke a Double Corona, Churchill or Piramide. Don't get me wrong, some of my favourite cigars are in these vitolas but when i go to pick a cigar for personal consumption....my subconscious screams "Corona Extra/Corona/PC you idiot!" lmao.gif

Back in the 90's/ early 00's it as a "gorgeathon" on DC/Churchill/Piramide. How times change.

Mirrors my own experience. Haven't smoked a DC or Churchill in almost 2 years. I smoke mainly PC, CE and Robustos now. I choke down a Piramedes every few months maybe

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=19.390057,-81.404423

I'm on the other end of the spectrum; I have moved away from smaller, less time-consuming cigars in favor of the longer, larger ones. I spend most of my time in Belize, where smoking is allowed anywhere. Lighting up after a restaurant meal, anywhere, is quite common here. There is no such thing as a No Smoking Zone, except in govt. offices .

I own a couple of investments here and work from an office on the grounds of our home, so lighting up is not an issue. I have found that, over time, I am more interested in smoking a more time-consuming cigar and reveling in the differences within one cigar. I also find that I actually work better, longer, and with less stress, if not concerned about when my next smoke will be or how much time I will have to light up before I have to rush back into the office. I have declared my property a "smoking zone", and also log lots of time on the deck, or with my feet in the sand and a rum concoction in the not holding my cigar. spotlight.gif

I'm a seasonal smoker...in the summer months I smoke smaller format like robusto and petit coronas because I like to sit outside. In the winter months, I have to use a b&m to smoke so I look for DC's/churchills to get my monies worth for the stay.

Used to love monte#2's nowadays I just can't be bothered with them, maybe I should revisit them along with the rass which I used to adore but along with the monte I thought the quality went out the window

I don't move away from vitolas. I move away from crappy cigars.

I have enjoyed vintage Punch Petit Coronas Del Punch and Partagas Shorts, just as much as pre '98 RyJ Churchills, Hoyo DCs, Impis, Partagas D4s, and BBFs.

Then there are cigars that I just haven't had the time or care to revisit, like Upmann #2s or Monte Edmundos. It's not like I despise the size or hate them...there are just so many other ones I'd rather smoke instead!

Good question.

I find it interesting that I once was a devoted DC smoker. Put them down for a few years as I really felt at the time that they were for the most part rather bland. I also felt at the time that I would rather smoke two smaller cigars than one larger bland one. :lol3:

I have returned somewhat to smoking DC's. At least certain ones. For me the size I do not smoke much of is the pyramid/torp at this time. I do smoke more CG's and PC/minutos.

Really no hard and fast rule. I don't care for large ring gauges either.