Which Vitola have have you moved away from?

.I still believe that these sizes are entry level cigars.

statement was not met with universal acceptance...but most agreed.

size of choix these days...marevas...for the last 10 or 13 years.

You are confusing "intensity" (concentration of flavors) with "quality". Smoking a churchill or a DC is a completely different experience - not having the patience or the ability to focus on the development does not allow you to depreciate these sizes…

There are more mediocre cigars in the smaller sizes than in the medium/large.

In 2006, I was in a LCDH in south of Europe, opening box after box of JL PCs, when the owner said: "don't have too much hope, petits coronas are having a hard time these days"

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I started smoking, most of what I smoked were large ring gauge NCs. I thought that more different kinds of tobacco in each puff would equate to more complexity. I've found now that it doesn't r

I know that this is strange to say, but I have moved away from Lonsdales, Coronas and Petit Coronas. I find that I am either smoking large cigars (Churchills, Robustos, DCs, or Edmundos) or thin ciga

I find myself reaching for longer cigars, ring gauge is not as important, if reasonable (up to 50-52RG) Moved away from most shorter than 5 5/8", still love thing and long, as before, if I can find i

I find i'm very moving away from the larger ring gauge cigars.. 50+ a lot over the past year. I still enjoy the odd DC/Churchill/Robusto but fewer and far between. My main smokes these days are PC's, Corona's, Dalia's and skinnies.. They just hit the mark for me more often.

When I started smoking, most of what I smoked were large ring gauge NCs. I thought that more different kinds of tobacco in each puff would equate to more complexity. I've found now that it doesn't really work that way. I also used to smoke a lot of torpedos/piramides under the assumption that since more skill was required to roll the cigar, more experienced rollers would do the job and would do it better.

Nowadays, I don't really like smoking figurados, not least of all because I always feel like they're going to fall out of my mouth. And sometimes they do. And it is always when someone is looking. Overall, I've moved towards skinnier cigars, like a lot of the people in this thread. I've also moved smaller overall, but that is mostly because most days I'm sitting by myself after work, and I get bored after more than a petit corona. That being said, if I'm catching up with old friends or writing something, I won't hesitate to light up a dc or a julieta #2.

• Like 1

I know that this is strange to say, but I have moved away from Lonsdales, Coronas and Petit Coronas.

I find that I am either smoking large cigars (Churchills, Robustos, DCs, or Edmundos) or thin cigars with a ring gauge of 40 or below (Lanceros, Panatelas Largas).

Somehow, for regular production at least, the 42-44 ring gauge is getting lost. Notable exceptions would be MDO #2 (recent production have been like crack) and Monsdales, of course.

• Like 1

i think once you have been enjoying cigars for some time......you occasionally look back and assess how your own preferences have changed.

You almost have to force me these days to smoke a Double Corona, Churchill or Piramide. Don't get me wrong, some of my favourite cigars are in these vitolas but when i go to pick a cigar for personal consumption....my subconscious screams "Corona Extra/Corona/PC you idiot!" lmao.gif

Back in the 90's/ early 00's it as a "gorgeathon" on DC/Churchill/Piramide. How times change.

What is your favourite vitola/s these days and have you changed your 'go to " sizes over the years?

Pretty much the opposite for me. When working I smoked a TPC on the drive in every day. Now in blissful retirement, I'm regularly smoking SLR DCs & Bolivar Coronas Gigante.

I am with many others as I just dont have the time to sit down and truly enjoy a Churchill or DC. I find myself turning more often than not to a Petit Corona or Corona Gorda and if I have a bit more time, I usually grab a robusto

Smaller 38-46 RG or skinnies mainly Fundadores (love them) and most PC's / half Coronas

or Petit Edmundos / RyJ Short / Wide / Petit Churchills......cheers

I'm able to smoke in the house if I want, so weather or finding a public place isn't an issue. I smoke all sorts of sizes (enjoying a nice Lusi at the moment) and try to keep a decent supply of many different sizes in the cabinet so I can smoke whatever seems to fit the moment.

The only thing that's really changed for me in the last 2-3 years is the near complete exclusion of NCs from my smoking rotation. I just don't enjoy them any longer. I used to like the bigger ring gauges like the larger Olivia Serie V or Fuente Double Chateaus, but since I smoke mainly CCs now I don't really go for those bigger rings anymore. The Monte 520s are the biggest boxes I have at the moment.

Cheers,

Greg

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

I used to smoke torps/pyramides like Monte 2s, and robustos primarily, mostly because I believed the slower burn produced cooler smoke, which should be good. I also wasn't the one buying the cigars typically (thanks, pop).

I have gravitated toward more smaller cigars in general due to time and weather restrictions (and because I can only afford so much), but I have to say that some PCs are just slightly too short... not quite enough, but I love them. This applies to Party Shorts and the little Cuabas and the lovely Punch half coronas, etc.

I think slightly longer cigars are a bit more fulfilling. They evolve more and have more concentrated flavours... even the little PL Montecarlo, and proper length PCs (PL, Boli etc). I like the Party 898 and other dalias, and love a good Cuban robusto, but I can hardly handle the robusto extras/cannons anymore (my San Cristobal La Fuerza pretty much just sit in my humi) or those huge NCs I've acquired that are both large and generally flavourless. Love a P2 when I have time and the stomach.

I miss the richness in DCs and Churchills that you get in smaller cigars (the only one I've had lately is the HDM DC; the Lusis I remember were stronger, so maybe this isn't a reflection on the vitolas as much as the marcas).

At the end of the day, I have to say that I struggle when standing in a cigar shop where prices sting so much. I lust over the big, impressive Edmundos, Siglos, LEs, etc, but what I seem to enjoy most are coronas, dalias, moderate robustos, panatelas extras, and some larger format cigars for variety. I feel like a cheapo buying a RGPE or PL Montecarlo or half corona in the face of those great cigars but I can't manage the price tag of the Habanos economics experiments.

I love a good DC, Churchill and Lancero when I have the time, which is only in the summer months since we've got a long winter and I don't smoke in the house. But, the vitola I came back to time and time again is the Corona Gorda. They can provide a wonderful and rich smoking experience and in a smaller format.

If they're good, I smoke 'em! Whatever size or brand.

Having said that Corona Grandes, especially HDM des Dieux, feels the perfect size for me

• 1 year later...

I have been to CC nearly nine years. Started with a box of Cohiba Siglo V in 2006 box code 02. Still have the empty box peace.gif . Then went over to non cubans but only Robustos and other small Pyramides and Churchills. When I came back to CC till now my preferences didn`t change till now from the size. But from the flavor it changed. I have many Robustos and like to smoke them when it is the right time. But I prefer big cigars like H.Upmann No 2 for example or Churchills and DCs. I love DCs.

When I take time to smoke a cigar I am interested in it and want to relaxe not only smoke them. Then I need time and the right weather, a lovely afternoon or a great evening daydream.gif alone or with friends and a great drink. Smoking a cigar is relaxing and enjoying and not only smoking for me.

I have almost completely gravitated away from the hermoso or higher rg and stick to strictly 46 and under. And the large majority is in the 40-42rg area. There's just something so classic about a box of coronas as this was primarily what boxes of cigars were back in most of the twentieth century. I also have found that it's very, very rare to get a badly blended, poor quality of tobacco in the smaller cigars whereas with the larger ring gauges it is not uncommon to run into some real **** rockets. The worse I've gotten in corona size is bland and toasty but that's the worse. Usually you're much, much more likely to get firecrackers with the coronas. And even if you were to get a box of duds, you spent what? $120-175???

I think I'm fighting it, but I'm moving away from robustos. The RG is not as much to my liking anymore - I get much more exciting and interesting smokes with thinner RG smokes. 75% of my smoking retinue has been 42 on down for the last year or so, so when I do light up my beloved RASS, for example, it seems like a special occasion smoke, or, dare I, a novelty.

Much of my move towards smaller smokes was a function of having less time to smoke with family and career. I think this helped me find my sweet spot.

The robusto has always been my go to. Lately, that has changed to the petite coronas. Churchills were never enticing to me. I remember one pompous guy at my bar years ago would only smoke churchills. He was irritating, and I wonder if my thoughts of him influenced me. Yeah... I'm pretty sure of it.