So, what are your recent acquisitions?

FatherOfPugs

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few recent acquisitions 1980s bottlings of Glenfiddich 15 and 18. 1980s bottling of Macallan 12 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My summer planned trip to Cuba was scuppered so I did the next best thing... a whisky buying trip/tour of Scotland! Had a great week with a mix of rain and glorious sunshine. Some great pick ups too -

Blanton's gold US release

How is the Kirk & Sweeny Claus?

I've only tried the 12Y which came out last year or the year before - I found it similar to the Zacapa 23 but less sweet. At $39.99 for the 18Y and $45.99 for the 23Y it was a no-brainer. These are not solera system Rum so the age is really the time spent in wood.

• Like 1

Not previously a big bourbon fan but brought home a bottle of standard Buffalo Trace today (never had it) and I was very impressed. Had an Old Fashioned before dinner and two fingers neat with a RASS for dessert and I was very pleased. I don't think I'll be mixing this again.

• Like 1

You guys tried the 18...its my favourite Phroaig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I have a bottle open right now in fact. I think it's a fantastic whisky.

That's why I was a bit hesitant to buy the 15yo limited edition, as it is a bit more expensive than the regular 18yo.

Curiosity got the overhand so I bought the 15yo anyway but I haven't opened it yet.

• Like 1

Sister bottles this week

Balvenie 15 year old single barrel.

b456c52aedbc81bb2d0a1dd3f2a06dc6.jpg

Nice.

Where can you still get the Bourbon matured Single Barrels?

I am looking to get some to try side by side the Sherry matured Single Barrels that I have.

Sister bottles this week

Balvenie 15 year old single barrel.b456c52aedbc81bb2d0a1dd3f2a06dc6.jpg

This is one of my absolute favourites. It's not overtly complex, but I think it's one of the best crafted whiskies available (before being discontinued) in the price point. Bottled at a smart ABV, non chill filtered and natural colour. There's a beautiful refined honey sweetness and wonderful oaked vanilla.

Good stuff.

Nice.

Where can you still get the Bourbon matured Single Barrels?

I am looking to get some to try side by side the Sherry matured Single Barrels that I have.

I recommend participating in the Scotch Whisky auctions in Scotland and the UK Sengjc.

The bottles I buy are mostly discontinued and unavailable retail anywhere...

Some real gems are available at auction for an absolute bargain.

In fact I have been sitting on top of a mountain here in the remote Coromandel in my Landcruiser since 5.00am to get cell coverage, winning another auction for ultra rare Vintage Port and Madeira wines

Dedication to the cause haha

• Like 3

On a recommendation from a friend I brought this back from the States on one of my last trips. Epic good!post-12791-0-81493600-1436360333_thumb.j

• Like 1

This is one of my absolute favourites. It's not overtly complex, but I think it's one of the best crafted whiskies available (before being discontinued) in the price point. Bottled at a smart ABV, non chill filtered and natural colour. There's a beautiful refined honey sweetness and wonderful oaked vanilla.

Good stuff.

Yup - that was before they went to **** with the caramel coloring, et cetera. One of the single malts that started me on the journey - still wish I had picked up cases when it was available at Costco for $50...

• Like 1