Cigar Jukebox: Battle of the bands: 1970's

Well. I would throw the Stones in there. The 70s was the greatest decade of all!

• Like 4

I think Boston is a sneaky good pick, great album. 

Jolene?  Really? 

My all time favorite album from the 70s - Wish You Were Here. 

• Like 2

Stardust is a great album. Dark Side. Physical Graffiti. Sticky Fingers. Montrose. High Voltage. Gotta throw some AC/DC in there!

• Like 2

One more for the Stones. Few albums from the 70s hold up as well as Exile and Sticky Fingers. Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! may be the greatest live album form any decade. Beggars banquet and Let It Bleed were ’68 and ’69, and I’ve heard it said that the 60s didn’t happen until the 70s.  

• Like 1

Let it Bleed is a great album. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ford2112 said:

Let it Bleed is a great album. 

Indeed. I’d also submit that the Stones wrote some of the greatest country songs ever. 

Far Away Eyes

Dead Flowers

Sweet Virginia

15 minutes ago, Ford2112 said:

Stardust is a great album. Dark Side. Physical Graffiti. Sticky Fingers. Montrose. High Voltage. Gotta throw some AC/DC in there!

Montrose...nice.  The trouble with what the guys are doing in the video is that they're trying to predict the popularity contest rather than selecting their personal favorite albums.  I think the lists would be much different and more interesting if they did.

10 hours ago, Ford2112 said:

Well. I would throw the Stones in there. The 70s was the greatest decade of all!

Yeah the guys were saying that in previous decade matchups the Stones got absolutely bodied in voting so everyone avoided them like the plague unfortunately.  I agree that the Stones should have been represented but what can you do.

1 hour ago, Ford2112 said:

Dave, being the good transplanted Aussie that he is grabbed Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap for his sixth round pick.

7 hours ago, JohnS said:

Personally, I would put forth the Beatles. I'm more biased towards the 60s I guess.

Yeah I had Let It Be on my draft board, and my wife who is a huge Beatles fan says she really likes the album, I was concerned against Fleetwood Mac, Led Zep, The Who they'd get crushed. 

6 hours ago, Li Bai said:

Queen has my vote but what a decade... 

I couldn't believe that A Night at the Opera was still there for the taking in round 3.  I'm hoping it does well in the voting but it's really hard to gauge what people are going to pick in the matchups.

Voting starts May 27th!

• Like 2

Didn't get a chance to tune in.  For me the top  70's bands were UFO, Zep, Rush, Kiss, Stones.  It's probably the era I most listen to right after 80's Metal.

• Like 3

I believe Pink Floyd have 4 records in that decade including The Dark Side Of The Moon. Fleetwood Mac released Rumors in 1977. Genesis and Yes are definitely among my favorites. 

• Like 2

Enjoyable listen @Cigar Surgeon, thanks for taking the time.

Interesting game. Someone above said popularity contest, but it’s also quite targeted I guess (age of twitter user, into cigars or not, engaged to vote daily, etc.). Personally - I quite like the Rumours angle. Simply because I feel more typical 25 y/o social media users would pick Fleetwood Mac over LZ. But who knows. Curious to watch it play out. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MagicalBikeRide said:

Enjoyable listen @Cigar Surgeon, thanks for taking the time.

Interesting game. Someone above said popularity contest, but it’s also quite targeted I guess (age of twitter user, into cigars or not, engaged to vote daily, etc.). Personally - I quite like the Rumours angle. Simply because I feel more typical 25 y/o social media users would pick Fleetwood Mac over LZ. But who knows. Curious to watch it play out. 

Appreciate it! What I like about doing the Cigar Jukebox shows is it's not so cigar heavy so I get to have more fun with it.

I think it's completely possible Rumours ends up sweeping the brackets.  I am definitely one of the lowest musical IQ people involved in cigars so it will definitely be interesting to play out.  I'll be doing links to the voting brackets once they go up. I wish we didn't have to use Xwitter for it but Coop has found it's the least painful and most broadly available platform to run the voting on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jazzboypro said:

I believe Pink Floyd have 4 records in that decade 

Atom Heart Mother, Meddle,Obscured By Clouds,Dark Side,Wish,Animals ,The Wall. They kinda dominated lol . Meddle is great. Animals is my favorite . Wish and Dark Side will always be the measuring stick though.

• Like 4

The twitter vs another platform is quite interesting - eg I’d expect entirely different results if the same thing ran here vs twitter. I’d probably expect completely different results on twitter prior to any algorithm / UI changes that have been implemented since Musk’s takeover too. Anyway, curious to watch it play out and nice you’ll be posting links too 👍

Did not see any jazz band/artist mentioned so far. In my opinion the jazz golden age was when we got to the 70's but some masterpiece were released:

Keith Jarret: The Koln Concert

Pat Metheny: Bright Size Life

Miles Davis, Woody Shaw. Freddy Hubbard just to name a few did wonderful stuff.

• Like 2

Elvis Costello and the Attractions.

Talking Heads

Jethro Tull

Truth is, late 60s into the 70s was a golden period of Rock and Roll and popular music. I think we haven’t seen the like since and with the technology for distributing and producing music we probably won’t hear it again. 

• Like 2