My mom loves them and I typically giver he one for mother's day. All I know is they can be a bit tempermental and the best way to water them is with an ice cube and it gives the water slow and steady. Beautiful plant. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife buys one every year and yet we have only one. Maybe we shouldn’t be pitching them like dead parrots. They could be sleeping or pining for the fjords 😁

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Chibearsv said:

My wife buys one every year and yet we have only one. Maybe we shouldn’t be pitching them like dead parrots. They could be sleeping or pining for the fjords 😁

Helps if you just nail them to the perch.

No offense intended for those observing Good Friday.

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Islandboy said:

I ran across this on a recent MTB ride...someone’s been busy bringing them up the trail and stuffing them in the nooks and crannies of the Formosan Koa trees in this little corner. They seem to be flourishing and blooming without any further ado, so I think you’re on the right track Ken...leave ‘em to their own devices.

an orchid fairy? 

While I have not personally messed around with growing orchids I have often given them as gifts, as they are my favorite family of flowers. I was surprised that my mother had been keeping some of the ones I had given her and sure enough, after 2+ years of no bloom they came back as beautiful as ever. Now there are some that she's kept around for 6+ years must be.

Interestingly enough the blue ones from the local grocery came back white as snow. (I had always heard that blue orchids weren't a thing and that they were dyed by florists, turns out that is true to some degree).

Cattleya family, possibly laelia variety. A while back we kept these and other flavors of orchids.

For a plant that thrives in a crack in a rock or a crotch of a tree, people seem to have trouble raising orchids. Water and food, gentle sunlight, warm place to live, it can be a fun hobby.  

I never had any luck with orchids but I have no problems with hibiscus. A former neighbor of mine was a commercial orchid grower and we exchanged orchid for hibiscus and guess what, his hibi died and so did my orchid. On the other hand my mother in Germany had orchids galore. The funny part is that I can grow coffee trees from beans (not the roasted ones). Go figure.

Edited by Squarehead
  • Like 1

They are great fun, and like cigars variable and unpredictable! We had one that flowered almost continuously for about 12 years, then sadly passed away. Others flower once and then go to sleep until you give up.

12 hours ago, RDB said:

They are great fun, and like cigars variable and unpredictable! We had one that flowered almost continuously for about 12 years, then sadly passed away. Others flower once and then go to sleep until you give up.

i can outlast them. they will just sit there until they do something. most of my pot plants do nothing so i have experience. 

2 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

i can outlast them. they will just sit there until they do something. most of my pot plants do nothing so i have experience. 

Orchids are sensitive to sound and when the E Street Band is playing they lose the ability to bloom.

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, cigaraholic said:

I know this may be a bit of a stretch for you, but the best thing you can do for your orchid is after it blooms get some orchid potting mix and repot it into a bigger pot.

thanks. that i can manage. 

• Haha 1