Storage Question for the Wine-iacs

dominattorney

I hope some of the more wine initiated of the members might enlighten me on a burning question. I went to a tasting at my country club, got carried away, and bought about 100 bottles of wine. The question is about proper storage of some of the more expensive bottles that I'd like to keep on hand for special occasions. I understand that temperature and darkness are important factors.  Will be stored in my basement which doesnt get above 65 degreew, and in a dark cabinet for the next 18 months until we move to a home im building that will have an actual wine cellar. How important is storing upright va horizontal though? I saw that a recent study showed no detriment to storing corked bottles upright but wanted to put it to the initiated for anecdotal responses. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

People will argue about this as long as they're bottling wine! I think that for 18 months you are going to be fine as long as your storage conditions are reasonably stable, dark, and not excessively dry. 

• Like 1

I'm definitely not an expert in wine, but I do have a wine cellar. I would think that you would want the wine in contact with the cork.

Although @MrBirdman has a great point, if the conditions are right and its not excessively dry, I wouldnt think the cork would dry out. What's the humidity in the area you are storing them? Curious to see what the input from others will be 👍 

7 hours ago, BossHogg said:

I would think that you would want the wine in contact with the cork.

I definitely agree for long term storage this is ideal - whatever studies may say, it's got centuries of history supporting it. For 18 months though I think it's fine for them to be upright unless the air is very dry. 

• Like 2

I’m not an expert but I own alot of wine and believe people overthink it unless you’re talking 15+ years. I agree, store them horizontal if you can just to be safe…vertical you run the risk of the cork drying, that is a real problem I believe. A dark room that doesn’t get above 65 (and presumably doesn’t vary alot) and no light that wine will be fine for quite some time I wouldn’t sweat it. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input everyone. My thoughts and research led me to a similar conclusion to those voiced here. The studies were interesting to me, especially the Australian one I read that said vertical storage was actually more optimal because vapor will always keep the cork moist and storing horizontal exposes more of the wine to oxygen. I felt that was suspicious because, as others said, horizontal storage has centuries of history to back it up. Why reinvent the wheel? The wine cellar at the new place will have horizontal storage, so I will Sally forth and feel ok with 18 months of vertical in the mean time. Probably better than half the bottles will get consumed before the move. I bought a case if a chenin blanc/viogener blend that was only 150 bucks and probably wont survive the summer anyway. I'm really only worried about some of the more expensive big reds I picked up. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MrBirdman said:

I definitely agree for long term storage this is ideal - whatever studies may say, it's got centuries of history supporting it. For 18 month though I think it's fine for them to be upright unless the air is very dry. 

Definitely agree brother 👍 

• Like 3

Are all 100 bottles going be in cabinet for 18 months?  I would not store them vertically (unless a screw top) for 18 months, but that's me.  Why cannot you store horizontally?

My suggestion is buy two small wine fridges.  Plenty used on CL or just a Home Depot job.  Use those until you move.

• Like 1

No expert, just been cellaring wines for decades (usually not same bottles).  If corks (not screw tops) you’d be wise to store horizontally.  Small stacks on floor (and no UV) is ok, if you don’t want to pop for a couple used or Home Depot fridges.  Storage studies have been done in past, but it’s so long since I’ve read I can’t cite links here.  But they found 55F ideal, many people store fine in basements/cupboards at 60F for a few years, and 70F can degrade wine in as little as month.  I’d be wary at 65F.  Maybe pushing it.  @BrightonCorgi’s suggestion is a good one.  Enjoy your new haul 🙂

I would think the humidity in your storage place is relevant. The risk is the corks drying out. That stuff about surface area exposed to air is nonsense. 

If the ambient air is reasonably humid, then probably fine upright for 18 months.

But why not just take them out of the cases and lie them down?

Welcome to another (much worse and larger) rabbit hole.

• Haha 1

• JohnS locked and unlocked this topic
16 hours ago, RDB said:

I would think the humidity in your storage place is relevant. The risk is the corks drying out. That stuff about surface area exposed to air is nonsense. 

If the ambient air is reasonably humid, then probably fine upright for 18 months.

But why not just take them out of the cases and lie them down?

Welcome to another (much worse and larger) rabbit hole.

If I lie them all down I'd have to buy something to rack that many, which I'd wind up getting rid of upon the move. Not saying it'd a deal breaker but wanted to see whether it was necessary in order to ensure the wine stays good. 

4 hours ago, dominattorney said:

If I lie them all down I'd have to buy something to rack that many, which I'd wind up getting rid of upon the move. Not saying it'd a deal breaker but wanted to see whether it was necessary in order to ensure the wine stays good. 

40ish bottle wine fridges are really cheap.  You can sell them in an instant when you want to move.  They actually can come in handy on your next home too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BrightonCorgi said:

40ish bottle wine fridges are really cheap.  You can sell them in an instant when you want to move.  They actually can come in handy on your next home too.

Maybe I'll just do that then 

agree with BC.

as for vertical/horizontal, screwcaps fine upright but corks definitely laid down. 

18 months is more than long enough to stuff the wines if you get it wrong (yes, personal experience).

you say 65. based on? unless you have had a 24 hour gauge measuring that, you'll be staggered at how that is likely to vary. i have seen this so many times.

but it really depends on how good the wines are. if they are seriously good, a wine fridge or put them in professional storage. even if you have measured it at 65 max, what about variation. you want it as steady as possible. if it is a big variation, whether diurnal or over the seasons, that can also be very harmful. 

• Like 1

If they are 6 packs, you can stack the bottles on their side in a pyramid with 5 cases on the bottom, that would be about 90 bottles. Wouldn't be a problem with breakage, as I've seen bigger stacks like that. If they are 12 packs, just do 3 cases on their side at the bottom.

But as Ken says, if it is really good wine, invest in a wine fridge.

And don't do what Martha Stewart did. The way she stored her wine gave me nightmares. :surprised: