MLB 2023

MoeFOH

On 3/22/2023 at 8:57 AM, RedLantern said:

I havent been able to watch a game yet, but I was completely blindsided by the big reactions to the pitch timer. Before spring training all the talk in the media I consume was about how impactful the shift rules could be and some chatter about the bigger bases, nary a word about the pitch clock. Once spring training games started though it was clear that the pitch clock will have the most profound change on the game. I'm very surprised that there wasnt more talk about the potential effects of if though, considering that it was in place in the minor leagues last year - it's not like NOBODY knew how big of a change it would be. 

The guys that are smart pitchers are really going to be able to exploit the new rules too.  It’s not just offense that’s getting the benefits, and I think there’s going to be even more of a difference in the quality of pitchers with the rule changes.  

great video of breaking down how Max Scherzer is approaching the new rules:

• Thanks 1

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ready for Opening Day in TX. Go Rangers!!   Had the distinct pleasure of going across the street to Hearsay Arlington before the game, and meeting @Çnote for the first time. Good to see a fe

MLB Thread for 2023!! ⚾ The new season is imminent... how's your team looking?... predictions for the season?... highlights... commentary...  Put it all here!  I'm looking forward to ho

Why? Does winning make you sick?  🤔😃

5 minutes ago, KCCubano said:

Well my KC Royals are off to a blazing 0-3 start having just been swept by the Twins at home! How are your teams faring so far? I saw JohnS's Mets are a solid 3-1

Series dub for the Red Sox after a dropping the opener... Crazy walk-off finish in G2... the reason we watch baseball right there! :D

The Rangers are looking great at the moment, but that could change anytime. So far there seems to be a lot of pop in the bats when needed, and good pitching when it’s needed. I fully expected a 1-2 start against the Phillies, at best. Thought Pérez might struggle in the third game, and he easily could have blown it, but he kept Philly to 1 run on, I think, 8 hits and at least 3 walks. Pitched himself out of self-made trouble several times.

18 hours ago, KCCubano said:

I saw JohnS's Mets are a solid 3-1

The saying, "A week is a long time in politics" can equally be applied to baseball. A 3-1 series win in Miami yesterday isn't looking great today in Milwaukee. Anyway, that's Baseball. I'm interested to see how things are at the end of April, and then at the end of May.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brutusthebuckeye said:

My Tribe who are notoriously slow starters took 3 of 4 from the Mariners. Hopefully they can get into playoffs again this year.  

Yep. Then pour it on in 2nd half of season. They SHOULD win the Central. Lord knows Royals dont have a shot lol

• Like 1

What is really fascinating to me is the longterm, team friendly contracts teams are handing out to their young arbitration-eligible players in the last few years. To me, it seems like it all started with the Braves when they signed Ronald Acuna to an 8-year, $100M extension in 2019, just after a Rookie of the Year campaign and right before a 41-homer, 37-stolen base year. The Braves followed that by signing 22 year old Ozzie Albies for 7-years, $35M (!!), 25 year old Austin Riley for 10-years, $212M, 21 year old rookie Michael Harris for 8-years, $72M, and 23 year old rookie Spencer Strider for 6-years, $75M. This really gives the Braves a young core to contend for the next five years or so.

Other teams have been catching on since then. Here are some other similar contracts in the last 3-4 years.

• Wander Franco, Tampa Bay, 11-years, $182M
  • Fernando Tatis, San Diego, 14-years, $340M
  • Julio Rodriguez, Seattle, 12-years, $209M
  • Corbin Carroll, Arizona, 8-years, $111M
  • Andres Gimenez, Cleveland, 7-years, $106M

21 minutes ago, KCCubano said:

Just turned it on. Rangers have losing record when roof is open so hoping that trend continues!

Grew up a huge Royals fan. They were always on in my house. I saw Brett play many games at Kaufman when visiting my uncle there. They’re my second favorite team.

And you’re right, about the roof. It’s unfortunate.

Blue jays all the way!!
Their line up is one of the most potent offensives in the bigs and right now their 1-4 is on fire Great to see our defensive players Matt Chapman turning into our hottest hitter right now. Our pitching is always an issue down the stretch so let’s see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, havanaclub said:

Blue jays all the way!!
Their line up is one of the most potent offensives in the bigs and right now their 1-4 is on fire emoji91.png Great to see our defensive players Matt Chapman turning into our hottest hitter right now. Our pitching is always an issue down the stretch so let’s see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully they can succeed the 2015/16 Blue Jays record - they’re certainly a more dynamic team now, and so fun to watch again.  The rotation is definitely suspect, but if they can click, they’re definitely going to have a good run this year.

17 hours ago, Capn_Jackson said:

Grew up a huge Royals fan. They were always on in my house. I saw Brett play many games at Kaufman when visiting my uncle there. They’re my second favorite team.

And you’re right, about the roof. It’s unfortunate.

Well you saw a bit of history as Heaney struck out 9 Royals in a row! Broke Ryans Ranger record and tied AL record.

2 hours ago, KCCubano said:

Well you saw a bit of history as Heaney struck out 9 Royals in a row! Broke Ryans Ranger record and tied AL record.

That was great, although I did not realize it was record-breaking at first. Just enjoyed watching batter after batter go back to the dugout. Found out about an inning later about tying the record.

I can be objective enough to cite when my team is doing well and when it is not. Right now, the Mets have questions. Firstly, there was criticism in having the No.1 prospect in Baseball start the year in the minors but Francisco Alvarez has come to the big leagues due to Narvaez's injury and is learning the hard way via making mistakes in his hitting and catching. I guess he will need time to work things out.

On a more pleasing note, Brett Baty (who I think is in the top 10 of prospects this year) is rumoured to be getting a call up very, very soon despite having had an excellent spring training and Eduardo Escobar not doing so. Nevertheless, Escobar got the call to start off the season and he is really doing badly...I mean his batting average is not even halfway to the Mendoza line. (If you don't know baseball colloquialism, that's somewhere in the vicinity of .200 to .215!)

Anyway, please don't take note of the Mets sweep this weekend over the A's. Frankly, I witnessed fairly mediocre, downright ordinary baseball and I would like Justin Verlander to come back from a minor injury soon and the line-up to start hitting (which is a usual request for Mets' fans!).