Deep Dive: Trinidad Reyes

El Presidente

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Step1. Forget about the price. 

Step 2. Look at Step 1.  :D

It's not Reyes fault! He was going along nicely minding his own business and then.......BAM......the princes of cigar darkness go and  turn him into some shiny habano deity. 

I have always loved Reyes. I still do. I just now look at my Reyes collection as Smeagol looks at the ring. 

Let's talk  Trinidad Reyes 

• Do you like the Trinidad Reyes  ?
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Trinidad Reyes 
  • Discuss and do the poll!

Trinidad Reyes  :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES

Trinidad Reyes PSP APR 21.jpg

Even before the step 1 and 2 discussion, these little guys just never resonated with me. The only real flaw I saw was the size, I was often left wanting just a tad more at the end of a Coloniales, so the Reyes were almost just a tease. On average, I think they were a bit fuller than your regular Coloniales, but pretty similar otherwise. Either at the current prices, or the old, My money was going to Coloniales, then Fundy's. It used to be probably 3 boxes to one, I just never found a spot in my rotation for the Reyes. 

• Like 1

Step 2. Look at Step 1.  

Can't.  To hell with them. I smoked the ones I had and will never revisit this marque as it stands.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ford2112 said:

Step 2. Look at Step 1.  

Can't.  To hell with them. I smoked the ones I had and will never revisit this marque as it stands.

........would it be possible to give a thought on how the cigar tastes :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

Smoked thru a quite a few boxes over the past 6-7 years and would say as much as I like them consistency was always an issue. I've experienced inconsistency box to box as well as within the same box. At the top of their game I'm a fan.  With the issues I mentioned I can do without. I'll save my last 6 for a trade someday. I really enjoy and even love the marque. Gimme a Coloniales any day of the year.  Esmes are a sweet treat,

I like 'em. I have 54 sticks left, all from 2019 and I'm kind of hoarding them now.

Hard to compare in some ways, but when I reach for one it's due to time constraints, so I'm usually deciding among this and one of the many CC perlas/minutos or even PCs, an Illusione Epernay Le Petit, a Padron 1964 Principe. I can't say a Reyes is necessarily better than any of those, though... not considering price, either.

9 hours ago, Popof4 said:

consistency was always an issue.

I would agree with that. Mostly construction issues--draw, burn etc. Flavor and blend were pretty consistent. But I've had some very poor performing Reyes. Defnitely not as consistent as the Minutos/Perlas like El Principe and RG Perlas. 

12 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

On average, I think they were a bit fuller than your regular Coloniales, but pretty similar otherwise.

I'd agree with that. Coloniales are a bit more refined. They do dip into below medium from time to time. I like the fuller Reyes. And sure, I would love the Reyes to be 10mm longer. Certainly for a now $30 cigar.. :(

• Like 3

Fantastic little cigar. HSA has been killin’ it for me. Completely nuts. Still got a few boxes, but has now been widely replaced by the duDep in my rotation.

• Like 1

I really love these cigars on a summer morning or afternoon. I agree with most of what’s been said - coffee, cake/doughnuts, cream - but the thing I really love about Reyes is that you occasionally get a sorta salty buttery note that hangs around for the first third or so. I think it’s maybe when they are slightly underfilled (but who knows - I just know it’s not there most of the time). It’s one of my favorite flavors Habanos puts out, and certainly ranks high among similarly-sized cigars for me. 

• Like 1

Great summer morning coffee cigar for reading the Sunday Times on the porch. Agree with @Chibearsv that they also are perfect for ending the night. 

Right around medium, with coffee and donuts. Only have 2 boxes in reserves which is a shame. Not sure I love them at the price point--especially with Principe serving a similar function, albeit different profile, for me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bishop532 said:

the thing I really love about Reyes is that you occasionally get a sorta salty buttery note that hangs around for the first third or so

Smoking one now and I can see what you mean - it's a flavor I associate more with Vigia but there are certainly some hints of it in there.

• Like 2

A fond favorite for me. I have one every Sunday morning before anyone else is up around here. Cuppa Joe, with dog curled up at my feet while I'm doing the electronic equivalent of reading the Sunday paper. I have about a year left to enjoy that ritual. Just one of those special cigar things, you know? When it ends, I suppose I'll continue with Parti Shorts but some of the magic will be missing.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I realized it's one of the few cigars I can enjoy equally early or late. Pleasant and smooth enough for morning and rich enough for evening. Few cigars are as versatile. 

Never thought of Reyes in this way, but your 100% right. 

14 hours ago, Ford2112 said:

Breaks my heart I have no more of them 💔 

I've got two left (and two Media Luna and four Siglo II) that are going into the "probably never smoke them" drawer. I just stare at them while a single tear forms. 

It's like we woke up June 11 and Trini had been excised from the portfolio for many of us including me.