Deep Dive: H. Upmann Magnum 50

El Presidente

H. Upmann Magnum 50  

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Deep Dive: H. Upmann Magnum 50 

One of my favourite Upmanns. Flavour profile? Sir Winston sleeps with SLR DC. 

H. Upmann Magnum 50

• Do you like the  H. Upmann Magnum 50?
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars?
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a H. Upmann Magnum 50?
  • Do the poll!

H. Upmann Magnum 50 :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES 

H. Upmann Magnum 50 PSP DEC 20.jpg

Needs a long long time down to come into its own.     Are you desperately chasing a cab of SLDC?,   Well,  an old Mag 50 (correctly stored) will give you green ripe melon notes, peach/stone fruit.   I would suggest the clever money would be trying to find an old 50 cab of old Mag 50's.    they are also creamsicles.  top cigars

They are however a massively underwhelming cigar if smoked young.  People that give them poor reviews in their first 4yrs,  I totally get it, if smoked young, they often taste muddled or papery

These are ugly ducklings into swans given a long time down

• Like 3

Bought 25 ct of original release. Fantastic sticks. Then bought a 50 Cab and ALL DUDS. Still have at least 25 left. Try one a year and no different than smoking a cigarette. Bought a 10 ct of 18s as heard were very good. Terrible. Gave most away. Will not buy again. 

2 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Young, old, in between--the Mag 50 is a very light cigar that just doesn't have much richness. The flavors are fine but I need a little more spice in the meatball. I've smoked many and wondered if they forgot the seco entirely. 

Agreed. Flavorless large boring cigar. I love Upmann, but not these. 

4 hours ago, KCCubano said:

Bought a 10 ct of 18s as heard were very good.

Yeah, I fell for that one 4 or 5 years ago. Kept hearing the current run was the "best in years!" "Best ever!" Bought a 10 box to see if maybe I could finally figure this cigar out and nope, all 10 were as bland and flavorless as usual. 

32 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

I am in no need for as you put it "spice and meatball" in every cigar.

"Spice in the meatball" was a metaphor. Maybe should have said "salt in the soup" or something. You know--flavor. I don't mean it needs to be full like a BBF. I do mean it needs to have some character and richness. I find the QdO Coronas far, far richer than the Mag 50. Or even a Fonseca usually delivers more in terms of character and richness than the Mag 50. 

Mag 50 is one of the few cigars (RyJ WC is another) I've had that can taste like straight air. Now, I may have had some bad luck although I've tried probably 30 examples over the last 15 years. 

Obviously the Mag 50 and WC are pretty popular cigars so maybe I'm just not sensitive enough to taste what's going on. All I know is I've puffed on hookahs that are more flavorful. But hey--hookahs are popular too. 

Like when a des Dieux is dry, tannic and woodsy to the point of unpleasantness, then one day around the 8yr mark, they turn into luxurious vanilla bombs.

The only difference I would suggest it that the Mag 50 doesn't really show much on anything until they turn the corner. I have a young box now and in trying one, they are airy and light and a bit uneventful, but there is that slight over ripe fruit note way way in the background, I know that is going to blossom into theat creamy peach Melba thing the SLRDC succeeds at way down the line

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Love this cigar. Two cabinets of Mag 50's back in 2009 was my first major cigar box purchase.  I still have about 20 sticks left over. An odd thing though I've noticed is that the cigar has become stronger/bolder with age?  Never experienced that before. 

• Like 1

I’m also in the “I don’t get it” group but I’ve only had younger versions and also find them uneventful. I’ll put my remaining stock in the time capsule crate along with RASS, PLPC, Hoyo DC, and Lusitania; not to open until 2030 and see if I get them then. Stay tuned for the update. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 99call said:

Like when a des Dieux is dry, tannic and woodsy to the point of unpleasantness

A perfect descriptor for every Des Dieux I've ever had. Haha I do like the Mag 50 though. Preferably with at least 8-10 years on them. As Rob said different strokes, no one is right or wrong, we just have different tastes.  

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 12:00 AM, Puros Y Vino said:

I've noticed is that the cigar has become stronger/bolder with age? 

MRN mentioned this in his Encyclopedia. I’ve never seen it said anywhere else until now. H Upmann gets stronger/ bolder with age? How can that be? I’ve not smoked enough of the Mag 50 to have an opinion on the cigar.

• Like 1

I've had young Mag50 from our host that smoked deliciously from the off. Stone fruit, cream, wonderful burn, palate coating voluminous smoke. 

• Like 3

I have had a few, but it has been a while. I like that it’s quite a bit deferent from the Mag46. The 46 is a punch you in the face with flavor intensity, the 50 is much more subtle and delicate. The cream and baked cake notes are there, but again, you have to really concentrate to appreciate them. 

I wish these came up more often, they definitely have a place in my rotation. 

I don't get em. I also haven't had one older than 3 years, so I might be missing something. Very much a wind tunnel for me. Mag 46 and Connie 1 all day if I am going for the Upman line. 

On 1/24/2023 at 3:17 AM, 99call said:

Like when a des Dieux is dry, tannic and woodsy to the point of unpleasantness, then one day around the 8yr mark, they turn into luxurious vanilla bombs.

The only difference I would suggest it that the Mag 50 doesn't really show much on anything until they turn the corner. I have a young box now and in trying one, they are airy and light and a bit uneventful, but there is that slight over ripe fruit note way way in the background, I know that is going to blossom into theat creamy peach Melba thing the SLRDC succeeds at way down the line

Creamy peach Melba? No hint of mushrooms?

• Haha 1