Deep Dive: Rafael Gonzalez Petit Corona

El Presidente

Rafael Gonzalez Petit Corona   

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I saw a few dribble through late last month after a long hiatus. I forgot how much I missed them!

Being a huge fan of good Monte 4, I feel the same way toward the RG Petit Corona. 

• Do you like Rafael Gonzalez Petit Corona?
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Rafael Gonzalez Petit Corona?
  • Do the poll!

Rafael Gonzalez Petit Corona  :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES 

Rafael Gonzales Petit Corona.jpg

• Like 1

One of my favourite cigars.   It's like a gateau of rich glacé chestnut mousse, layered with light sponge and dark chocolate. A little touch of salt on the wrapper, sets it all off perfectly. 

When you get into the 2nd 3rd of this cigar, it adds a little umami complexity. 

Those who know, realise this cigar performs way...way....way above its price point.  would always reach for it over any other PC

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Just doesn't have enough depth and richness for me. I find the Perlas to be far more substantial. I would always take a SP Non Plus over the RGPC and it just can't compete with Monte 4 most of the time. 

I agree. No real complexity to them and no real value in aging them . Yard sticks fishing sticks etc . I actually prefer a RG Panetela Extra I always have them on hand 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RDB said:

I’m a fan. In fact this is the marca that I most wish had a wider range of sizes available. Would love a corona gorda and hermoso #4 in a similar blend.

It had a corona extra size. Disco'ed in '09 I believe. All other sizes were also axed. Pretty sure these are also living on borrowed time

2 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Just doesn't have enough depth and richness for me. I find the Perlas to be far more substantial. I would always take a SP Non Plus over the RGPC and it just can't compete with Monte 4 most of the time. 

What other Mareva can compete with Monte 4? It pretty much is at the top of the pyramid

• Like 2

Part of me died inside when I read someone posting that the Non-Plus (the worst cuban cigar ever, a most deserving deleted status) was better than the RGPC.  To me, this is one notch above the Monty 4.  I would put this up against the Bolivar PC.  Such a wonderful cigar.  Complex.  So glad they came out of hiding recently.  Stocked up on these about 6 months ago.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Monterey said:

Part of me died inside when I read someone posting that the Non-Plus (the worst cuban cigar ever, a most deserving deleted status) was better than the RGPC.  To me, this is one notch above the Monty 4.  I would put this up against the Bolivar PC.  Such a wonderful cigar.  Complex.  So glad they came out of hiding recently.  Stocked up on these about 6 months ago.

Just goes to show how subjective cigar smoking is. You and I love these, and others feel they are not worthy of anything but being a yard 'gar. 

• Like 1

One of my favorite PC's up there with Boli's.  Smoked through 2 boxes and have 5 left.  The first one I ever had was pure walnuts - a very surprising flavor - the strongest walnut flavor I've ever tasted.  Since then I am always on the search for that flavor and get rewarded about every 4th or 5th cigar.  Agree with @99call and @JohnS above, when I do not get walnut I am usually rewarded with either the sweet and savory, earth-like forest floor or the occasional umami (more typical of a SPNP - which I also love).  

Always on the look-out for more. The 2017's that I bought from our host PSP (SOM MAY-17) are smoking lights out right now.  I followed those up with a bunch of (ALO MAR-17) purchases.  I have to start buying some 2022's as @El Presidente says I've seen them becoming available again.  A big shout out to @Buck14 - don't know if he'll remember back in 2020 when I was a newbie we were PM'ing about RGPC's.  I noticed he posted a lot of these in the FOH'ers Daily Smoke.  I don't remember how many boxes he told me he had - it was a lot - but I do remember him telling me he thought it was one of the best under-rated CC's on the market.  After his recommendation and my first walnut RGPC - I was hooked.  Thanks !!!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Monterey said:

I do enjoy how much venom you have towards the Non-Plus, and I say that genuinely, I also have my cigars that make me angry as to why they are even made.   I love the good boxes NP, that I have, but there are many terrible boxes out there, and there is no excuse. The SP blend should be a thing of joy and wonder, and getting it wrong so often is just criminal.    I would agree that the RGPC is superior (for me that is) to the Monte 4, and unlike the Monte 4 does not suffer from inconsistency.       The RGPC is one of the most trust worthy blind buys out there.

Can't wait for the 'Coronas de Lonsdales'  to be released, even if they have the most toe-curlingly thick name since 'Walk in Humidor' or 'Ammunition'.   Whats next 'Ride on Lawnmower'?   

• Like 3

On 1/4/2023 at 1:30 PM, NSXCIGAR said:

Good thoughts.  I like both but for some reason they don’t taste that “related” to me.  I really like the Perlas.  They are full-bodied magic tricks.  The RGPC tastes unbalanced when young.  When aged properly, they do come into focus and give you a nice woody experience but the Perlas have more going on.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wailbait said:

Good thoughts.  I like both but for some reason they don’t taste that “related” to me.  I really like the Perlas.  They are full-bodied magic tricks.  The RGPC tastes unbalanced when young.  When aged properly, they do come into focus and give you a nice woody experience but the Perlas have more going on.  

I find them rather bland to be honest. The Perlas, not bland by any means. I think the RGPE is closer to the PC but still richer. The PC is just kind of uninspiring.

I'm really looking forward to what they do with the Coronas de Lonsdales. They have a lot of room to blend with a 48 RG.  

I agree with a lot of the sentiment above, definitely sweet and savory, a lot of earth and roasted nut alongside a sweet cream/coffee. I have always found the RGPC to be a balance between the Monte 4 and Bolivar PC, plus some more. Not quite as sweet or chocolatey as a Monte 4, and not as much earth or coffee as in the Boli, but I guess the last many years of Bolivar blends this doesn't hold up as much. But there is always another sweet dimension that presents differently in different examples I have tried, floral or banana, that keeps me loving this one. I think the RGPE has a similar feel but not quite as complex and nuanced.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GoodStix said:

For those who enjoy the RGPC, how long do you recommend resting ("aging") them?

I'd say at least a couple years. Once they have 5+ they are really divine. Only cigar that i get that roasted chestnuts note. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/5/2023 at 6:23 AM, westg said:

I agree. No real complexity to them and no real value in aging them . Yard sticks fishing sticks etc . I actually prefer a RG Panetela Extra I always have them on hand 

Completely with you on the RG Panetela Extra. Regardless it is a short filler cigar, it's a great morning smoke with coffee and a newspaper. Reyes was my previous go-to for a lazy weekend morning with coffee. The Panetela Extra have filled that void nicely after the last round of price increases.

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2023 at 4:34 PM, Monterey said:

Part of me died inside when I read someone posting that the Non-Plus (the worst cuban cigar ever, a most deserving deleted status)

I will admit there is a lot of inconsistent Non Plus out there. I've been pretty lucky with mine. I certainly wouldn't call them a regular rotation cigar for me by any means but I do like to keep them around as a nice change of pace cigar. But certainly the SP blend isn't for everyone. 

The good news for you is that I suspect that this 22 burst of NP we saw is probably the last hurrah for them. You'll be in a NP-less world very soon. 

8 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I will admit there is a lot of inconsistent Non Plus out there. I've been pretty lucky with mine. I certainly wouldn't call them a regular rotation cigar for me by any means but I do like to keep them around as a nice change of pace cigar. But certainly the SP blend isn't for everyone. 

The good news for you is that I suspect that this 22 burst of NP we saw is probably the last hurrah for them. You'll be in a NP-less world very soon. 

The fact that the SP marca is so "salty", that is likely off putting for many people. The Belicoso is not as salted as the NP, but it still is there. They are much more an acquired taste than other marcas/blends. 

• Like 2