Deep Dive: Ramon Allones Gigantes

El Presidente

Ramon Allones Gigantes   

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ramon Allones Gigantes 

We may struggle to get 50 responses to this cigar as it has been in short supply for many years....and even before then it was the least popular of all the Double Coronas.  Yes, even less popular that the Vegas Robaina Don Alejandro. In my eyes they are both brilliant cigars ;). This week we will look at the Double Corona ranks. It will be interesting to see who pokes it's nose in front. 

Ramon Allones Gigantes. 

• Do you like the Ramon Allones Gigantes. 
  • Where does it stand compared to other similar cigars. 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke a Ramon Allones Gigantes. 
  • Discuss and do the poll!

Ramon Allones Gigantes.  :cigar:

CLICK HERE FOR OTHER DEEP DIVES

On account of its size, it's different to the other regular production Ramon Allones cigars (i.e. Small Club Coronas, Specially Selected and LCDH Superiores). You can certainly count on that Ramon Allones 'fruitiness'. In general, they're lighter and more nuanced. I wish I had them more often.

• Like 4

Honestly, a good Lusi and a good RAG are so close in my personal ratings.  They are just such a different experience it’s more about my mood.  Sir Winston is my fav, and then the Lusi and RAG are right behind.  Absolutely delicious.  Rob send me another box!

• Like 1

Punch DC, Luthy, and the Hoyo DC are in a constant battle as my  favorite DC's. Usually whatever I just had I tell myself is my favorite of the DC's.    RAG is always 4th.  While enjoyable, it just doesn't stand up to the others  I find it milder and it didn't age as well.  But I haven't had a box of these in over 5 years, maybe longer  Perhaps they have improved since then.

• Like 1

I like all the DC's but dont smoke them often. Last box I purchased of RAG was in 2014 which I split with Bassman shortly before he passed. It was an exceptional box. Smoked my last one for last years Super Bowl and it was superb. I should have bought boxes of all DC's before the increases. Really kicking myself now. 

• Like 1

RAG has become a bit too subtle for me in the last decade. Too "lilting" in flavor. Gone are the days when the RAG could be considered a large RASCC as MRN described it. It's pleasant enough with its herbal, nutty and light stone fruit edges but it has really just become a bigger, milder version of the RAS. I would take a Lusi or Punch DC over it every time. The Hoyo DC is a toss up.

Shocking that HSA has decided to make the RAG the most expensive DC. 

• Like 1

After I get past the Sir Winnies and the Lusi's, the Punchies and RAG's follow for me.  Sadly I hardly ever smoke DC's that were a stable for me for many years.  First you just don't see them often and secondly I can't afford them when i do. :tantrum:

I’m a big fan - fantastic at the end of a long lunch and they taste for me the way I hear others talking about RASS (but I am yet to get the RASS flavour from a RASS).
All the RAG’s I’ve had have been 2019 on so can’t comment on changes over the years. They pull up second behind Lusi for me. I’ve got a lot of aged Hoyo DC’s but I prefer the RAG. The Punch DC’s I have are so ultra mild it’s insulting.
Sounds like Habanos are trying to go from Rags to riches…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I’m a huge fan of this format and the RAG is one of the best. I stocked up on these, HDC, and PDC. When I smoke I’m rarely if ever in a rush. I’m on disability and have nothing but time to kill which makes the DC my favorite format since it kills a lot of time. It’s a lot of bang for the buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I haven't had a ton of these over the years, and mostly just in the last three years, but I LOVE this cigar. To me the RASS and RASCC are different cigars in terms of flavor profile and I think RAG has the complexity to capture a mix of both profiles, in a more mild bodied cigar. The last one I had was more than two hours of stewed fruit, fresh ground coffee, cocoa, and leather notes.  

• Like 2

I used to smoke them fairly often but I lost interest in the cigar. The other Cuban DCs are more to my taste and I haven’t had a RAG in a long time.

I like them better than Lusi's and DA's, but tough call between Punch and Hoyo.  Photo finish in that regards.  Gigantes and Corona are the best of the RA's with the 898 just behind.

Double coronas just don't get as much love.  We are all too busy these days or so it seems.  Big fan of Gigantes.  Have about a 2/3 a box left.  Without seeing any new boxes coming on the horizon, but I a little tentative to smoke one. 😪

• Like 1