True or False? "Men always have one new obsessive interest on the go at any time"

It was a throw away line at lunch on Sunday. Naturally I rejected such a notion that demeans the male of the species to the status of "stimulus junky". 

Then I thought about it. :thinking:....bloody hell she could be right!

My mate on Sunday disclosed that he has a current fascination with cheese. Fascinated to such a point that he airmails his cheese into  Australia from an online store in Holland. Slightly obsessive? :whistle:

I am on a BBQ obsession. It has a few months to run I suspect. 

"Men always have one new obsessive interest on the go at any time"

I am not saying that she is right...but....What is your current hobby/obsession? :D

Yea, I'm definitely guilty of this.  Thankfully though it tends to rotate between my main handful of hobbys, thus keeping the cost down as opposed to breaking into totally new hobbies.  Like this year so far it was doubling down on my interest in cigars, then it moved to my car, and now I'm onto spoiling my new dog.  

• Like 1

I think she's 100% correct.  I have three underway right now, update my home automation with a Raspberry Pi something that it doesn't need, study for my Part 107 so I can get a drone that I don't need and learning how to grill the perfect steak with my new SnS grill, which I didn't need. :lol:

• Like 3

From what i see of my family and friends, abslutely true. I think men tend to have hobbies and interests in general, where as women tend to not do those things. Women would rather catch up and talk over coffee. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LordAnubis said:

From what i see of my family and friends, abslutely true. I think men tend to have hobbies and interests in general, where as women tend to not do those things. Women would rather catch up and talk over coffee. 

Wow...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hemclas said:

I think she's 100% correct.  I have three underway right now, update my home automation with a Raspberry Pi something that it doesn't need, study for my Part 107 so I can get a drone that I don't need and learning how to grill the perfect steak with my new SnS grill, which I didn't need. :lol:

Exactly. I haven't busted my ass all these years just to buy what I need.

Oh look! A new engine/turbo/ blower. 🤣

• Like 2

I think there is an underlying dynamic with "hobbies"  - at least in my feeble mind. I want to get good enough at it- so that I can genuinely enjoy it.

Men - like small children have a limited attention span. They get frustrated quickly when the desired results are not obtained.

As I get older - I would rather enjoy the experience and not get all wrapped up and overwhelmed down some rabbit hole!

1 hour ago, Hemclas said:

, study for my Part 107 so I can get a drone...

On new construction sites, it is common for us to hire a company to do aerial progress photos. Something that could be done much cheaper with a drone.

False, we have several. Haha! Maybe seasonal too. Football, gym, cigars, sneakers, stout, red wine - this year Rhone, slow cooker beef stews, music - this year Irish drinking songs, in winter.  Spring - Football, horse racing, gym, cigars, sneakers, IPA, negronis, fino and Amantillado sherry, tapas, fishing, spearfishing. Summer - Spearfishing, gym, cigars, sneakers, lagers, German beer, Manzanilla sherry, dry Riesling, negronis, tapas, seafood. Autumn - who knows. Ha ha!

Although - I went through a phase of buying Peaky Blinders flat caps earlier in the year. Then got obsessed with temporary tattoos because of a fancy dress party - Good way to avoid the mid-life crisis tattoo.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chas.Alpha said:

On new construction sites, it is common for us to hire a company to do aerial progress photos. Something that could be done much cheaper with a drone.

That is something I've thought about too.  Also, my son and his wife are wedding photographers, I'm thinking I might be able to dip in to their profits.  Those are ideas that are helping me justify a much better drone than what I need. 😀

2 minutes ago, Hemclas said:

That is something I've thought about too.  Also, my son and his wife are wedding photographers, I'm thinking I might be able to dip in to their profits.  Those are ideas that are helping me justify a much better drone than what I need. 😀

As far as I know, they make the airspace test harder than it needs to be. You'll never get to A, and everything else is below 400' AGL.

1 hour ago, therealrsr said:

What drone are you looking at?  Just curious.  And why wait?  You can spend time under recreational/TRUST learning the device while prepping the 107 material.  This is a current obsession with me as well, among several. 

I'm thinking the DJI Air2S, better camera than the mini, but a lot cheaper than the Mavic 3. A friend has the DJI FPV, that thing is really cool.  Why wait?  A few reasons have delayed it, one I added getting the 107 first to help put in some level of self control 😁, plus I like learning new stuff like that.  Then I decided I needed a rowing machine first, that'll be here Thursday.  And lastly, as you know, it's been way too freaking hot in St. Louis lately.

Which drone are you considering?

• Like 1

That would describe me. As others have said, I tend to have more of a rotation. Some of it is seasonal, as one obsession is snowboarding/skiing in winter and the other is fishing, which changes over the year. Right now 90% of the fishing I do is big tarpon on fly rods. I’ll spend my non fishing hours tying flies and preparing.

Cooking provides a nonstop series of obsessions that are more me trying to master something. To master something I’d rather cook it every night 12 nights in a row vs. once a month for a year. My wife is pretty patient with this as we cook as a family and have a 3 1/2 year old so it is fun.  Right now I am obsessed with homemade tortillas (mostly corn but also flour) and tacos.  We’ve had tacos nearly every night for the last month or so! Luckily my wife loves em. I have gone through a pierogie mastering phase (wife was less thrilled about that), pasta/ravioli, simple cheeses, pizza, hummus, lavash, kebabs, BBQ, burgers, roast chicken, and then drinks…sangria, margaritas (that was a fun phase). I failed miserably at sushi that is the one time I accepted failure and gave me a new appreciation for the art of making really good sushi. Typically though I’ll see it through no matter how much blood, sweat, cursing, and broken plates are involved. 

I am also building out an outdoor kitchen now with a kamado, santa maria style grill, and a wood fired Neopolitan-style oven for pizzas, etc. That should be a serious rabbit hole. 

I also have a car problem and am recently getting up the curve on binoculars for bird watching. 

6 hours ago, El Hoze said:

That would describe me. As others have said, I tend to have more of a rotation. Some of it is seasonal, as one obsession is snowboarding/skiing in winter and the other is fishing, which changes over the year. Right now 90% of the fishing I do is big tarpon on fly rods. I’ll spend my non fishing hours tying flies and preparing.

Cooking provides a nonstop series of obsessions that are more me trying to master something. To master something I’d rather cook it every night 12 nights in a row vs. once a month for a year. My wife is pretty patient with this as we cook as a family and have a 3 1/2 year old so it is fun.  Right now I am obsessed with homemade tortillas (mostly corn but also flour) and tacos.  We’ve had tacos nearly every night for the last month or so! Luckily my wife loves em. I have gone through a pierogie mastering phase (wife was less thrilled about that), pasta/ravioli, simple cheeses, pizza, hummus, lavash, kebabs, BBQ, burgers, roast chicken, and then drinks…sangria, margaritas (that was a fun phase). I failed miserably at sushi that is the one time I accepted failure and gave me a new appreciation for the art of making really good sushi. Typically though I’ll see it through no matter how much blood, sweat, cursing, and broken plates are involved. 

I am also building out an outdoor kitchen now with a kamado, santa maria style grill, and a wood fired Neopolitan-style oven for pizzas, etc. That should be a serious rabbit hole. 

I also have a car problem and am recently getting up the curve on binoculars for bird watching. 

Yeah, soft corn tortillas. I got obsessed with gut health and deleted bread and pasta and wheat and most dairy. Had fish tacos at least 3 times a week and lost a lot of fat and bloating. Can get boring so be good to find more recipes. I simply cube the fish and coat in chipotle or cajun spices and pan shallow fry very quick. Then it's just diced tomato, lemon juice, lettuce and chipotle mayo. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 9:44 AM, Digi said:

High power electric scooters 😆

Here’s mine:

Top speed: 62 mph (yes, mph)

0-60: 4 seconds

range: 80 miles

me: 6’1”, 315 lbs

It’s the most fun you can have on two wheels.  Such a hoot!

Now that is a scooter. Fun times 

• Like 1