Montecristo differences

Can anyone provide some perspective on the differences between a Montecristo and a Montecristo Open Regatta?

Fairly new to Habanos and this forum.  I am working on building up a solid inventory of cigars in my aging humidor. 

As I begin to collect cigars I am finding it difficult to determine what differences there are between different lines.  This is important because I am limited on what I can buy and I do not want to waste money on a whole box of something if it is the same or very similar to something that I already have. 

Case in point -  I recently found a box of Montecristo Open Regatas.  I have several sizes of montecristo already, but I am completely unfamiliar with the Regata.  

The Regata intrigues me because 1) I can actually obtain a box of them at a reasonable price, and 2) the size of this vitola is exactly the range that I prefer.

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

56 minutes ago, Lamboinee said:

Can anyone provide some perspective on the differences between a Montecristo and a Montecristo Open Regatta?

Fairly new to Habanos and this forum.  I am working on building up a solid inventory of cigars in my aging humidor. 

As I begin to collect cigars I am finding it difficult to determine what differences there are between different lines.  This is important because I am limited on what I can buy and I do not want to waste money on a whole box of something if it is the same or very similar to something that I already have. 

Case in point -  I recently found a box of Montecristo Open Regatas.  I have several sizes of montecristo already, but I am completely unfamiliar with the Regata.  

The Regata intrigues me because 1) I can actually obtain a box of them at a reasonable price, and 2) the size of this vitola is exactly the range that I prefer.

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

As @NSXCIGAR alluded to, you won't find much love around here for the Monte Open series. Without piling on, I'll just say they are very different from the rest of Montecristo. If you're looking for a profile similar to what you've got, look elsewhere (unless what you've got is Monte Open!). 

If you're hesitant about jumping into whole boxes, keep an eye out for 1/4 boxes on 24:24. You'll usually see a few each week.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Nevrknow said:

Amen. Those ESP 2’s are incredible.

Most of these seem to be rolled at Camajuani [Villa Clara]....LAU>REG>SOP>EBP.....I don't know what they're doing down there, but they roll some great stuff year after year

*sorry for the thread hijack!*

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Monte Opens are basically the laughing stock of Habanos cigars. The ugly freckled kid in class everybody laughs at. There is good reason they are readily available in these times of shortfalls. NOBODY WANTS THEM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2022 at 8:46 AM, Lamboinee said:

Seems there is a clear distaste for them....but now I want to smoke one just to see how bad it is. lol.  smoke 'em all.

This! This exactly. We all have been there at some point. Try it out for yourself. Smoke, buy, smoke, repeat. Try ageing a little. Or at least give fresh cigars some rest in the open (‘dry boxing‘) for full enjoyment. Try out a diverse range of singles before committing to whole boxes. Buy singles, samplers, Petacas 3er, 4er, 5er, quarter boxes (6er) like Rob is regularly putting up. You can’t build up a ‚solid inventory‘ of cigars on the „ideas“ of others. Listen? - sure! but find out critically for yourself. Plus: your taste will develop, and preferences will change. Perhaps the Opens are perfect for you at this very moment, who knows (might try the Regata). These cigars are selling, some folks must be smoking them - while probably not the most seasoned ones 💨.

Me, I recently stocked up heavily on JLP Brevas & Short Cazzies, Quintero Panetelas. Gathered last available boxes of Boli T3. Had never bought them and still wouldn’t had I observed what others say, including most cigar-publications. 😂😈

But perhaps I got the palate of a goat. So, don’t listen to me either!

• Haha 2

• 3 months later...
On 7/31/2022 at 3:32 AM, Fugu said:

Smoke, buy, smoke, repeat

Well.... I'm doing it. . progress slow. But you're right, it's the only way. Just like when I started with NCs. I even got some vag taps to try as a more affordable cc option. I usually love a good vag tap. But I've never had a vageuros tapadores.  But why not right?! 

1 minute ago, NSXCIGAR said:

You should try the Vagine Justthetipos. Just make sure they don't have loose draws and a nice aroma

Es que lo Ella dije! Lol. El Tipo Dipo No. 2.... Better get tested mam. I think we're on to something here.