MoeFOH's Album of the Week... Week #17

MoeFOH's Album of the Week 🎶

Same as the movie thread, each week we're going to spotlight an album... be it a classic, new release, hidden gem, or outright turd... and open it for discussion: i.e. post up your favourite tracks, clips, lyrics, experiences if you saw live, etc... or dive deeper and give us a critique on why you think it's great, overrated, or a complete train wreck... And finally score it for us... :looking: 

All contributors go into a monthly prize draw for a 3-cigar sampler! :cigar:

PM me with suggestions if there's an album you want to nominate for next week's discussion. :thumbsup:

Week #17: Aqualung

Wiki says:

Aqualung is the fourth studio album by the British rock band Jethro Tull, released on 19 March 1971, by Chrysalis Records. It is widely regarded as a concept album featuring a central theme of "the distinction between religion and God", though the band have said there was no intention to make a concept album, and that only a few songs have a unifying theme. According to one reviewer, the album has "dour musings on faith and religion" which for him have marked it as "one of the most cerebral albums ever to reach millions of rock listeners". Aqualung's success signalled a turning point in the career of the band, which went on to become a major radio and touring act.

Recorded at Island Records' studio in London, it was their first album with keyboardist John Evan as a full-time member, their first with new bassist Jeffrey Hammond, and last album featuring Clive Bunker on drums, who quit the band shortly after the release of the album. Something of a departure from the band's previous work, the album features more acoustic material than previous releases; and—inspired by photographs of homeless people on the Thames Embankment taken by singer Ian Anderson's wife Jennie—contains a number of recurring themes, addressing religion along with Anderson's own personal experiences.

Aqualung is Jethro Tull's best-selling album, selling more than seven million units worldwide. It was generally well-received critically and has been included on several music magazine best-of lists. The album spawned two singles, "Hymn 43" and "Locomotive Breath"

Thanks to @Chas.Alpha for the suggestion :thumbsup:

Over to you...

Who's a fan? How highly do you rate this album?

Thoughts, memories, experiences, favourite tracks...? 

Post em up!

Score it out of 10!

:perfect10:

• Like 3

I would rather listen to Iron Maiden's cover of Cross Eyed Mary over Aqualung. That said it does have it's place. I give it 6/10. Martin Barre is a good guitar player. The best guitarist that Tull ever had went on to form Black Sabbath. You can see Tony Iommi with Tull in 68 in the Stones Rock and Roll Circus dvd. You also see Keith smoking a cigar lol.I love Keith.

Classic rock, so classic that most of the songs sound like they're from the Renaissance era. Locomotive Breath, Cross-eyed Mary, Aqualung, in that order, then the rest of the ren-fair songs. 5.5/10 

• Haha 2

Haven't listened to this album in years. Was a big fan in high school, a decade after its release. I remember camping with friends back then and playing this on a cassette player over and over all day and night. Back then, it was an 8.5/10 for me.

I heard Locomotive Breath not long ago walking by a bar somewhere, and thought that still sounded pretty good. But I was somewhat inebriated... just like in high school.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I listen to a lot of Jethro Tull while smoking cigars and contemplating the universe.  I'm a fan.  I wore out the groove in the vinyl on Locomotive Breath back in the day.  Loved rocking that song loud.  Like all of Tull, this album is quirky but I don't mind that.  8/10.

• Like 2

I was 13 when Aqualung came out and I knew it well by the time I was a sophomore in high school. The big hits, Aqualung and Locomotive Breath aren’t by a mile my favorites on the record. My God, Hymn 43, and Wind Up will still push me back in my seat. Jethro Tull played most of the album when I saw them in ’78 at SUNY Binghamton. General seating, if I remember, we got there early and sat in the 10th row center. I haven’t seen too many R&R shows that would compare because the band was on and the seats were outstanding. 9 out of 10.

• Like 3

brilliant stuff. love it.drag it out every few years and give it a hiding. 
Fnarr

Sent by spooky action at a distance

8 hours ago, brutusthebuckeye said:

Jethro Tull…he rocks..lol

Always wanted to see a duet with Jethro and Pink Floyd.