Supply Update.

6 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

Besides all that, I'm surprised you would be stumping for a system 

Trust me, I am not stumping for any system. 

Simply pointing out hypocrisy.

Those "communists" appear to  very very good capitalists by following some exceptionally solid international models  ;)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

...and Rolex? 

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't disagreeing that price fixing generally sucks.  For companies like Rolex and Habanos, they are definitely taking away the potential for a retailer to profit based on the retailers marketplace.  Those companies are simply shifting the bulk of the profit for their goods to their own pockets rather than supporting the retailer that's been supporting them.  I'm just pointing out that there's no need to sympathize with a new car dealer if his new car prices are fixed, since he's got other ways to filet the fish. 

1 minute ago, Chibearsv said:

I'm just pointing out that there's no need to sympathize with a new car dealer if his new car prices are fixed, since he's got other ways to filet the fish. 

Don't get me wrong, I am no fan of stealerships. 

However, I believe there is a lot of "splitting hairs" in the discussion. 

The "global" move by car manufacturers is all about CONTROL.  No different to Rolex or Habanos and a host of other "luxury" brands. 

For cars internationally, the sales model is changing. Stealerships will need to challenge or jump on board and adjust. It is no different to Habanos retailers. Challenge, jump on board or adjust. 

Under the current/proposed HSA model, a lot of Habanos retailers will go to the wall unless they can adjust. Some will be able to, many won't. They have invested a lot of time, money and passion. Good bye. 

Those who hold on and adjust will do very very well. Think Rolex retailers today.  They will just need to also sell Omega/PF/IWC etc etc. 

Retailers who have invested in such cigar businesses (London comes to mind) cannot believe their luck ;)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, GoodStix said:

True.  Our tax burden is a significant drain on quality of life.  Generally speaking, earnings are better and taxation less in many — not all — US states.  Over my lifetime, many of my friends have moved to the States for this very reason.  Smart bastards 😉

I thought your tax burdens were to help improve quality of life? Free health care, and more government programs? I have a few friends from Canada who have came to the U.S. for medical procedures and paid out of pocket due to the wait times for treatment. Not knocking Canada in any way, the US is just as screwed up. Ever since Obamacare came into play, getting a dr. appointment is almost impossible. My brother in law tore a muscle in his shoulder 4 weeks ago and cannot lift his arm.  Still hasn't seen a surgeon to schedule an operation to repair it. He will probably lose his job from being out of work for such a long time. It's getting ridiculous everywhere. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

Under the current/proposed HSA model, a lot of Habanos retailers will go to the wall unless they can adjust. Some will be able to, many won't. They have invested a lot of time, money and passion. Good bye.

Think of all the lost cake boxes lined with an envelope of cash seeing the Siglo VI freed at Habana Libre….the horror….

The irony being the controlling interest tanks the cigar tourism of the country it essentially bought. The workers (flipper or shopkeep) absolutely lose. Certainly an interesting dynamic for the island. 

9 minutes ago, La_Tigre said:

The irony being the controlling interest tanks the cigar tourism of the country it essentially bought.

The Cuban Govt is the only "controlling" interest.  

....as Imperial found out  ;)

22 hours ago, SCgarman said:

Aren't American made vehicles such as full size pickups significantly more in Canada primarily due to Canadian government taxes? That is what I was told by a citizen when we were visiting the country.

I’m not an expert on this but Canada, the US AND Mexico have trade agreements to eliminate duties and autos are a main component of those. I don’t think it makes a difference and they would single out one type of vehicle. Our sales taxes and other taxes are higher than the US but the wide gap in what companies charge in one country vs the other for the same vehicle are their choices. Typically a particular car company uses a similar pricing strategy on different types of vehicles. 

9 hours ago, El Presidente said:

The Cuban Govt is the only "controlling" interest.  

....as Imperial found out  ;)

Definitely looking forward to that string pulling the rug…should be a very interesting dynamic

Rolex employees cannot even buy a new Rolex at MSRP.  They can get an employee discount, but that takes time before they eligible & it's not all models.  Their Geneva & Zurich flagship stores have nothing to sell.

48 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Rolex employees cannot even buy a new Rolex at MSRP.  They can get an employee discount, but that takes time before they eligible & it's not all models.  Their Geneva & Zurich flagship stores have nothing to sell.

Normal people can't either. Some AD's require you to spend 100K or more on junk you don't want i.e. diamonds or gold to even be considered to have the "privilege" to purchase a Rolex. Many have to resort to the secondary market and spend a huge upcharge to even get the Rolex of their dreams. Many AD's have empty display cases but full safes with watches for their VVIP clients and a significant number of watches being sold out the back door for msrp+++ to secondary watch dealers. Tons of shady stuff going on. Thankfully I bought my 18K Submariner back before all this madness started. I have no desire for another watch. One and done for this boy.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SCgarman said:

Normal people can't either. Some AD's require you to spend 100K or more on junk you don't want i.e. diamonds or gold to even be considered to have the "privilege" to purchase a Rolex. Many have to resort to the secondary market and spend a huge upcharge to even get the Rolex of their dreams. Many AD's have empty display cases but full safes with watches for their VVIP clients and a significant number of watches being sold out the back door for msrp+++ to secondary watch dealers. Tons of shady stuff going on. Thankfully I bought my 18K Submariner back before all this madness started. I have no desire for another watch. One and done for this boy.

Have a 1969 Oyster Perpetual Datejust. Given to my father for a birthday gift and he gave to me when he upgraded. Every time I take it in for a tuneup/cleaning they ask if I want to sell it! My answer is always the same! NO

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Monterey said:

Why anyone would buy a watch when your phone tells you the time is beyond me.   Clearly not a fan here of man jewelry!

Ha, I thought it was just me! 

I wore watches to tell time. I stopped when I got a flip phone! Time's right there. 

I've got my grandfather's Seiko 6330 I would wear with a suit but other than that I don't need any clunky thing on my arm. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Monterey said:

You are all aware that there is a thread "Lets talk about watches"  right? :)

Why anyone would buy a watch when your phone tells you the time is beyond me.   Clearly not a fan here of man jewelry!

I am on the same boat... the only time I needed a watch was when I was in boot camp of military for 6 weeks. I would rather get boxes of trinidad, punch and por larranaga :)

• Like 3

On 6/23/2022 at 1:30 PM, El Presidente said:

Trust me, I am not stumping for any system. 

Simply pointing out hypocrisy.

Those "communists" appear to  very very good capitalists by following some exceptionally solid international models  ;)

I'm not calling anyone a communist. Neither plan is communist. Both sound like the fever dream of a communist who just learned about capitalism and is trying take advantage of it. Despite not actually understanding it, at all.  

On 6/23/2022 at 1:30 PM, El Presidente said:

exceptionally solid international models

Proven by what? 2 years of free money and a complete mess of an economy? Cuban's aren't Rolex, or Bentley. They're bundles of dried leaf. Cents worth of input material, versus thousands or tens of thousands of dollars worth of real materials. (you know, gold diamonds, shit worth money) There isn't a comparison, there shouldn't be a comparison, that's where this whole discussion goes off the rails. Ferrari has had a similar model to what's being described here for years and people hate them for it. I know several people who want/can afford a Ferrari, but refuse to go through their asinine sales process. It's worked for them, to an extent. But again, rolled up bundles of leaves aren't quite a Ferrari.

Either plan only works in the nightmare that is the current economy, not through long term ebbs and flows. I, for one, am very excited to watch HSA fall flat on its face here. Honestly, I'd be happy to the Volkswagen group in trouble too. I'd love a new Audi. 😁

1 hour ago, Corylax18 said:

I'm not calling anyone a communist. Neither plan is communist. Both sound like the fever dream of a communist who just learned about capitalism and is trying take advantage of it. Despite not actually understanding it, at all.  

Proven by what? 2 years of free money and a complete mess of an economy? Cuban's aren't Rolex, or Bentley. They're bundles of dried leaf. Cents worth of input material, versus thousands or tens of thousands of dollars worth of real materials. (you know, gold diamonds, shit worth money) There isn't a comparison, there shouldn't be a comparison, that's where this whole discussion goes off the rails. Ferrari has had a similar model to what's being described here for years and people hate them for it. I know several people who want/can afford a Ferrari, but refuse to go through their asinine sales process. It's worked for them, to an extent. But again, rolled up bundles of leaves aren't quite a Ferrari.

Either plan only works in the nightmare that is the current economy, not through long term ebbs and flows. I, for one, am very excited to watch HSA fall flat on its face here. Honestly, I'd be happy to the Volkswagen group in trouble too. I'd love a new Audi. 😁

I'd love a new Ferrari, Bentley and a second precious metal Rolex (Platinum)!!🤩

5 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

Both sound like the fever dream of a communist who just learned about capitalism and is trying take advantage of it. Despite not actually understanding it, at all. 

It also matches what happens to capitalists during periods where there is both unpredictable international inflation and supply chain disruptions--they radically raise their prices in an effort to compensate for the new risks.    It looks like "greed" from the outside--and gets everyone screaming and pointing fingers at each other.

😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cairo said:

It also matches what happens to capitalists during periods where there is both unpredictable international inflation and supply chain disruptions--they radically raise their prices in an effort to compensate for the new risks.    It looks like "greed" from the outside--and gets everyone screaming and pointing fingers at each other.

😀

If I had any reason, at all, to believe that these prices increases where tied to increases in Tobacco prices, or Labor, or Packaging, I would agree with you.

People are freaking out that Verizon is raising their prices now. As someone who built cell tower infrastructure for almost a decade and is currently competing with them for crews/materials, I can say that their cost increases are very, very real. Not greed based at all, a perfect fit with what you describe. But that isn't what's happening here. 

Tabacuba is paying less for tobacco, not more. No raises for the rollers, managerial staff, cuban cigars store workers. Not even some new/extra B.S. tax to the government. Nothing. Just greed, based on a very flawed view of their market position. Sure the bands and boxes they buy from outside the country are more expensive. Same with freight, if they can get it. Shipping can be passed along to the distributor, easily. Packaging prices have not increased 300%. Where else does all this new profit go? 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

If I had any reason, at all, to believe that these prices increases where tied to increases in Tobacco prices, or Labor, or Packaging, I would agree with you.

Except their production numbers are in the toilet and there is an outside chance the CC industry will collapse, if not the regime itself.

• Like 3