Your favorite Non-Cubans

On 5/2/2022 at 8:29 PM, HoyoFan said:

Thanks. Yeah I’ve found that the 1926 need a few years for me to smoke without putting me on the floor. But once they mellow they are fantastic.

Do you like the melanio or melanio maduro better?

LOL smoked my first 1926 a couple weeks ago...had to take a nap right after to get rid of the dizziness

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

aaand the box came in just as I was typing up the reply.  Here's a few shots of this d'Crossier box:

This arrived today thanks to you guys. Excited to try these!

Illusione Epernay and Oliva Melanio

Could not handle the 1926 either.

Had a Hemingway signature the other day - I've had the box for about a year. Even that seemed strong after smoking mainly CCs and the occasional Davidoff GC.

Was at the Holts B&M in Philly yesterday. One of the problems with NCs is that there are so damn many of them. The selection and varieties, even within a single brand, are bewildering for those of us who mainly smoke Cuban.

I got overwhelmed and didn't buy anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

be43bd43e6a6701f852ec2031133122d.jpg

Had a daughters of the wind robusto today based on your all recommendation and I have to say - you guys were right. Tons of sweet coffee with cream and leather in this one. No strength and no pepper. Just a great smoke! Looking forward to trying some of the other recos!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, HoyoFan said:

Had a daughters of the wind robusto today based on your all recommendation and I have to say - you guys were right. Tons of sweet coffee with cream and leather in this one. No strength and no pepper. Just a great smoke! Looking forward to trying some of the other recos!

Wow that is one good looking cigar. 

2 hours ago, HoyoFan said:

I just saw your post after making mine, great minds think alike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f534fc8d0abc7b4b76439906c9edb53a.jpg

Reporting on another NC attempt: Illusione CG4. Unfortunately this one wasn’t as good as the Daughters of the Wind I had a few weeks back.

There’s a subtle bakers chocolate that’s trying to get through but it’s overshadowed by the typically Nicaraguan earth. In the end, this felt pretty plain to me unfortunately.

More trials to come soon.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2022 at 12:18 PM, HoyoFan said:

Had this one for the first time last night and I gotta say, it’s worth trying. Honduran Cameroon is a very interesting flavor. No pepper or strength. I’m not going to say cubanesque but very much a Cuban cousin. Recommend trying.

I love that cigar. The longsdale is probably my favorite. 

Jason

I think it’s been debated enough here that you can’t compare apples to oranges, but several NC’s are on my rotation as often at CC.

Padron 1964 line cannot beat beat imho for quality, consistency, and bang for buck.  I’ve loved that line for well over 10 years.  Other honorable mentions would be Feunte Anejo and Between the Lines series, but I do feel the quality has waned over the years on them.  Love or hate, I like the Nub Hananos.  Have love for aged My Father and Opus as well, but they need to sit quite a few years for me.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 5:40 PM, Fox Sterlingworth said:

I think it’s been debated enough here that you can’t compare apples to oranges, but several NC’s are on my rotation as often at CC.

Padron 1964 line cannot beat beat imho for quality, consistency, and bang for buck.  I’ve loved that line for well over 10 years.  Other honorable mentions would be Feunte Anejo and Between the Lines series, but I do feel the quality has waned over the years on them.  Love or hate, I like the Nub Hananos.  Have love for aged My Father and Opus as well, but they need to sit quite a few years for me.

Agreed on the Fuente Anejo

17 hours ago, Pinkbottles said:
Illusione epernay today. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I think I’ve got some sampling to do in the lighter body side of nc. Not sure how old this Padron was but it was a great change of pace. No pepper, just syrupy chocolate and spice. I’ll buy more when I go back by my secret honey hole for aged Padron.

I’ve definitely discovered that the Padron thousand series evolve fantastically over the course of 2-3 years

I am happy to see some Aladino love in this thread!! I have to say, they are doing some fantastic things with within company. Between the Original (Corojo), Maduro, Cameroon and the Vintage Habano blends, I'd probably have to choose all 4 as favorites. I'm smoking a Habano right now but earlier this week I had a Maduro that was simply divine. As complex as I could ever ask for.

As far as recommendations that haven't been suggested yet - has anyone ever tried Isabela cigars? They are based out of Miami I believe and sell only extensively pre-aged Nicaraguan tobacco. They also sweeten the tips of their cigars but only faintly and wears off after a few puffs. I believe it's a tip of the hat to the past.

BEB32702-40D2-4097-8DBE-22FE8EB00C03.jpeg

• Like 2

On 6/13/2022 at 4:40 PM, Fox Sterlingworth said:

I do like the 1964 Corona

As a three year cigar smoker I’ve noticed some trends in what I smoke. 

Nicaraguan - black cherry, what I associate with old leather and a strong coffee. Sometimes a catchers mitt taste or ashtray.  My father, Olivia, tatuaje.  

Dominican - wood (cedar?) sweetness and here and there a berry or gum. Also paper shavings. Fuente or Davidoff. 

Top for me would be Fuente Cuban corona, Fuente chateau natural. The Nicaraguans I also need a brandy or something to smooth them out. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • JohnS changed the title to Your favorite Non-Cubans