Deep Dive: Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Number 2

El Presidente

Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Number 2   

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Epi 2 have had a big revivial in 2020/22 but the same could be said for most Robusto. 

Let's talk Epi 2. 

• Do you like Hoyo dE Monterrey Epicure Number 2?
  • Where does it stand in the ranks of the other existing Robusto? (BRC/CORO/CX/D4/E4/SHC etal). 
  • Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
  • How long does it take you to smoke an epicure number 2?
  • Do the poll!

Let's kick around Epi 2.  :cigar:

• Like 1

I'm not really that good at picking out detailed flavors in a cigar, but the Epi 2 was the first cigar that I really tasted some flavors other than pepper, dark chocolate and some cream.  Of course that was always in NCs that I used to smoke exclusively. With these I got a creamy and cinnamon flavor with some bread and I still remember the day I smoked my first one. I like to smoke them on an early afternoon weekend day outside when I'm only going to have one cigar that day.  Usually takes me about 1.5 hours.  I haven't smoked enough different years to know if they have changed.  As far as where they rank, it's right behind CORO for me, but still haven't got to try a SHC yet.

Such a great light and easy cigar.  I love them.

• Like 2

Not what I'd reach for and haven't tried one for quite some time. Was a 'go to' cigar when starting my cigar journey. Have a soft spot for them but I tend to look for more rustic flavours. Hard to go past the JL#2, Coro and RASS for me. Thinking the epi 2 would be nice on a sunny late Autumn or early Spring day with a breakfast tea with a splash of milk perhaps. Always tried light whisky like a Macallan and a splash of soda but never really worked for me. Good memories though. May have to revisit if they recently have a bolder flavour profile. Cheers.

• Like 2

Creamy, Woody, Cinnamon, but the flavor that for me that stands out the most, brown sugar.  I never hear anyone mention that, so it is unique to me.  Wonderful 1:15 smoke. Keep many cabs on hand.

Ranking, for me from best to worst:

Famosos
Bolivar RC
HDM Epicure#2
Juan Lopez #2
RASS

RyJ Exh4
PSD4

CORO left off the list for personal reasons.  ERDM CX is a newer cigar, for me and haven't had many.  Working on that. 

• Thanks 1

pretty much the gateway drug to regular smoking for me. Picked "woody" in the poll but usually it's more "cedar" actually. 

Do you like Hoyo dE Monterrey Epicure Number 2?
Yes

Where does it stand in the ranks of the other existing Robusto? (BRC/CORO/CX/D4/E4/SHC etal). 
I find that I can have it much more often on a regular basis whereas the others need a bit more of time in between .. it was pretty much the first cigar where I went "I can do this every day"

Have you noticed a blend/flavour/body change over the years? If so, approximately when?
Not exactly sure but I find it less creamy and more baking spice in recent batches. Probably in the past 2 years. It used to be 100% sweet cream

How long does it take you to smoke an epicure number 2?
1 hour min and if I'm taking it slow I can go up to 2 hours

• Like 4

I haven’t smoked many but I only kind of get it…

Has that Guiness/Beef Bouillon hit for me out the gate with a gentle woodiness and an actual cream component…I feel that cream is a little vague because HdM DC are like marshmallow cream and Rio Seco is a rock sugar and cream type profile. 

It is a pretty cool smoke because it is one of the first that was really cerebral for me with savory flavor but not my favorite…

• Like 1

It’s quite light in body for me, cream/woody (cedar in particular)/sometimes nutty and fruity, but dried fruit like dried apricots or raisins.  They can be quite complex in their simplicity, if that makes sense. I like them, but don’t often go for them. 

• Like 1

I love a good Hoyo EPI 2. When they are good they are approachable and delicious. It’s a bit border mine pricey for it but is a great everyday smoke! For me stands behind CORO, and similarly to D4 and RASS but after CORO I tend to go from one name to the other a lot interchangeably. I love JL and other robustos too, though these ones more

• Like 1

about one hour give or take 15 minutes

JL #2, CORO, Famosos, PSD 4,ERDM CX, EPI 2, RASS, BRC in the order from most to least favorite

I do like them, all though that by itself isn't saying much because I generally like them on when the box is up to par :)

I don't have enough experience to have noticed a blend change--either that or I just don't keep track worth a s#&$.

I always have them on hand.

• Thanks 1

I've only had a few epi2, they seem to be much better from cabs than from 3pks. I'm a big fan of HdM in general, I just haven't lucked into any epi2 on 2424 as of yet. Robusto isn't my favorite size, I'm a corona & minuto fan for the most part. I just had a fabulous epi1 that was better than any epi2 I can remember.

Pencil shavings wasn’t a flavor option!? Hah, I get it, but I find I reach for these less than I used to. I just smoked one (TPO Jun19), and while enjoy them I find the overall flavor profile rather one note. 

• Like 1

Cream, cinnamon, fruity and nutty on the best of the EPI 2 and cedar, woody, slight cream and sweet spice on the worst of the EPI 2 for me.  1. CoRo 2. P D4 3. RASS(PSP FOH best I have ever had) 4. JL2(PSP) 5.EPI 2.   I have never had a CX, BRC or a Famoso yet. It’s amazing to me how different cigars can be from one another yet all coming from the same region, just amazing. I started off with NC and my first Cuban was a Monte N2 second was an amazing EPI 2 and I was hooked for life.  Cuban cigars are pure enjoyment and really never had a bad tasting Cuban. My favorite HDM is a Rio Secco and DC. I will be looking to get some 2021 EPI2’s from FOH soon. Looking forward to it and maybe it will move up my list. I buy from a lot of different vendors but I still have the best experiences buying FOH Cubans honestly.  Must be that Australian Air. 

Great Idea @El Presidente I luv these deep dive forum posts. EP #2 is one of my favorites. Less woodier/earthier than a DC more smoke time than a PR. Definitely a fan. I like the ring guage more than a Rio Secco, less jaw breaking. It's a great utility cigar in the hoyo line up and I think that's why it has so many fans.

This was definitely a cigar that took me a long time to come around to. HdM was largely forgotten in my world due to the construction issues back in 2006-2010ish. So many other things were smoking well it just didn't make sense to pursue them. Really think the HdM resurgence has been great, with the Epi2 leading the way. Love the cream and cedar that I get out of them--a really pleasant smoke. That said, I still prefer the Epi1 over these if only becuase I am a sucker for a CG and I find the creaminess has more depth--evolving almost into a vanilla--and find it burns a little cooler for me due to the more delicate vitola. 

19 minutes ago, jakebarnes said:

I still prefer the Epi1 over these if only because I am a sucker for a CG

Right on.

@El Presidente you've mentioned the Epi 1 fell off quality-wise (while the Epi 2 has improved).  Please let us know when you think the Epi 1 has returned to goodness.  Love CGs.  Thanks 🙂

26 minutes ago, GoodStix said:

Right on.

@El Presidente you've mentioned the Epi 1 fell off quality-wise (while the Epi 2 has improved).  Please let us know when you think the Epi 1 has returned to goodness.  Love CGs.  Thanks 🙂

Still to smoke a late 21 Epi 1.  Looking for one to come through and will report back. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Epi 2 was a cigar I started off with but once I had an ERDM Choix Supreme this totally took over as my before lunch/breakfast smoke. After having a HdM Epicure Especial it totally left the Epi 2 behind.

I haven’t been smoking Epi 2s long enough to comment on year on year flavour evolution although I can say I find it a pleasant smoke but nothing special and certainly I’d reach for an Epi 1 before a 2 

Epi 2s have been a bit of a rollercoaster cigar for me. When I first got into CCs I heard nothing but good stuff about these so naturally I wanted to love them. But I was quickly turned off when the first few I tried were really crappy. A few years down the road I gave them another shot and felt they were boring/bland smokes. Fast forward to '19/'20/'21 and now I "get it". Not sure if I would attribute that to a tweak in the blend or just my taste evolving over the years. Not my favorite HDM nor my favorite robusto, but I definitely have been enjoying them lately. 

• Like 1