How are your workplaces coping?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Safe travels mate 👍 Living angry is not the solution.  My opinion only. Wish you all the best  PS.  The women I work with are some of the toughest  people I know 😉

Just get the Vaccine!! Everything will go back to normal!!  You can trust me!!  😉

2021 was our best year ever.  2022 is stacking up to be even better.  Never stopped working in person.  Remote working is not an option and I don't like it anyway.  I like getting into the office and

5 minutes ago, RichG said:

So does that infer that the original strains die out simply because their potential hosts are infected by the newer strain, leaving them without a host to transfer to?

I'm not an infectious diseases expert and I think you can get infected with multiple strains over time (get original and later get delta or omicron), but yes I think it's something like that. You're much more likely to get the more infectious one (and more and more likely over time as it spreads) and I assume it must give some protection against the older strains.

I think delta was doubling every 2-3 weeks here and omicron at its peak was doubling every 2-3 days. So it just quickly took over.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RichG said:I don’t recall seeing anything on that…how does the development of new variants impact the existence of the prior variants, or does it at all?

If a new strain like Omicron spreads faster but leaves recovered patients immune to other previous variants, it’ll eventually eliminate the old variants by not leaving enough hosts for the old variants to grow in.  But new strains could show enhanced infectivity or virulence due to novel mutations that evade established immune responses, thus being able to re-infect people who had previous strains so they aren’t relying entirely on infection-naive hosts so are more likely to spread freely.

• Like 3

We're currently down about 15-20% of teachers and maybe 20-25% of students. Some percentage of the students are quarantined due to exposure and haven't tested positive (yet), and probably some percentage are being kept at home for precautions. There's no good data out there on students though. Unless they are involved in sports the school doesn't test them so we rely on parents to get their kids tested and report positive tests, both of which are somewhat unlikely given our student population and the shortage of testing at the moment.

The staffing shortages are getting difficult to manage, with many/most teachers having to cover classes for other absent teachers during what should be our planning periods, and I've even seen non-teaching staff listed as having coverage for some of the absences. Got an email today saying central office admin will be sent out to cover classes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, El Presidente said:

It never ceases to amaze me how many people take their moral compass from actors.

You will be quoting a Kardashian next :cigar: 

Wow! Deep response 😂.  You’re so much smarter better than me ..

so based on your response to my comment on racism existing because we keep talking about it as the dumbest comment of 2022….you obviously think it exists? Why do you think it exists? I’d love to hear an honest answer… or do you just pander to your mainly liberal beta male population here? Because I never got that feeling from you in phone calls. Quite the opposite actually. 

Churchill would be embarrassed by today’s men and cigar smokers 

3 hours ago, Bijan said:

Well I don't think it's a direct quote, though he said a lot of similar things along those lines.

Yeah political correctness is a problem. It's one of the reasons a lot of people don't think there's any racism around. It's not acceptable to say what you think directly. I'm not accusing you or anyone else of anything just to be clear. I'm also telling like it is. Most of the people virtue signaling are racist themselves. Minorities discriminated against are racist against other groups. Society is basically racist. Maybe toddlers and younger kids aren't there yet.

Anyways racism is worst when not discussed and taken for granted. There are a lot of societies and countries around the world where overt racism is acceptable and taken for granted, and that's probably worse than political correctness. You talk to people there and they say I live in a nice neighborhood, it's a bit expensive, I can only afford a small apartment but at least there's no blacks or Arabs here. We don't hear that so much.

I agree with most of what you said… the ones screaming racism are the ones that truly believe  they are better than minorities. It’s referred to as liberal guilt by Shelby Steele in his documentary what killed Michael brown. Well explained. 

BUT it’s still because the left keeps using racism as a political tool. Or I  other words  “Talking about it” 

Morgan freeman is correct about that. And yes it was a direct quote on 60 Minutes. He also said it on Don lemons cnn show. 

There was no racism when I was in school in the 70s/80s. We were busy laughing together while watching blazing saddles, 48 hours, SNL, etc.. 

there is no real racism in civilized countries anymore. It’s all a made up political tool like so many other things today. 

instead of the Kardashians,  who Rob apparently is familiar with,  I would recommend folks read views of people like Thomas Sowell and Shelby Steele. They are great minds 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Your opinion, certainly

Because I certainly battle racist traits within myself. I suspect most people do. 

Morgan Freeman has an opinion. You believe his opinion to be correct. I vehemently disagree. 

You need to find a different way of presenting an idea/position/argument Bob.  Left, Right, Alpha, Beta......it is tiresome for those who have come to the conclusion that division is not the way forward. There are plenty of other boards to fly flags. 

We agree to disagree. Nothing wrong with that. 

You battle racist traits within yourself? I measure every man the same. Do they have integrity, are they loyal, do they have work ethic, can I trust them, do they think for themselves?

Never in my life have I thought of skin pigment or ethnic background. I don’t know of anyone who does and I grew up in east Texas! 

To the original post. No, Covid has not effected my businesses in any way. It’s a cold virus that was like 98% survivable from day one. It was suppose to be 2 weeks to not overwhelm hospitals for Christ’s sake…then politicians, media  and greenies got ahold of it….I wouldn’t employ anyone that was scared to drive a car, cross the street, smoke a cigar, fish offshore, etc. Everything in life requires assuming some level of risk. If I was worried about a 2% risk I would never get a dental implant! Those of us that have actually been in real danger understand that. Scares me to think that men have become so fragile. Glad todays men weren’t the ones I went into battle with. 

By the way the ones screaming about division are the ones causing it. Just like racism and every other ism. 

I responded  because of your “dumbest comment of 2022 ” remark…Maybe you could also use a “different way of presenting an opinion” to respond to opposing views other than just calling them the dumbest of the year? 

I’ll go ahead and take your advise of finding another board. Thank god I work in an industry where I never have to deal with lefties. Life is to short to be scared of everything and worried about a million made up crises. Women are good for those traits. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Chas.Alpha said:

Anyway, spray insulation crew that was supposed to show up this week, out with COVID. That one is holding up ceiling framing in the main dining area. No bueno. A couple more hits like that and I won't make the contractual completion date...

I could hear you sigh when typing "Anyway..." 😁

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Chibearsv said:

I could hear you sigh when typing "Anyway..." 😁

Where do we get these guys? 🙄

• Like 2

Double-vaxxed required to enter the office since last summer, no exemptions. Most of us can work remotely but there are clear disadvantages to not being together in person, so we went to mandatory 3 days a week starting Sept 1.

With the New Year and the advent of Omicron we have gone back to essential workers only in office, and are looking at introducing a booster requirement. Will reassess end of month.

It's extremely tiresome but business has been robust throughout.

We’ve just gone back to mostly remote work with omicron spreading fast and everyone coming back from holiday travel and parties. My hope is that within the next few weeks this wave has peaked and we can get back in the office regularly. Sucks, but like a lot of other things in business and life those who are able to adapt best to changing circumstances will be okay.

.. the biggest tragedy... Not being in any real rush, paying holiday bills, property tax etc... I missed the Ayala Lanceros!

In my view, America will be poorly served if the SCOTUS decides that the ultimate arbiter for ones' ability to work in the US will be via fringe wing of nut-cases from OSHA. MHO!

By all means, please carry-on!

-Piggy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, PigFish said:

.. the biggest tragedy... Not being in any real rush, paying holiday bills, property tax etc... I missed the Ayala Lanceros!

In my view, America will be poorly served if the SCOTUS decides that the ultimate arbiter for ones' ability to work in the US will be via fringe wing of nut-cases from OSHA. MHO!

By all means, please carry-on!

-Piggy

Are you in the US? If so, I'll gladly send you a couple of A lanceros once they arrive. I went for the Ebony & Ivory pack!

• Like 1

So blessed to live in the free state of Florida! Life here is wonderful. My kids are light years ahead of others these days. Luckily they moved us here in the USA, Feds, from 10 days to 5 days so when you count 5 from onset of symptoms employees don’t miss too much time. Honestly Omicron has been a blessing here because my staff is out for a lot less time and with much less symptoms compared to the last delta wave. Economy here is absolutely booming and people are flooding to move down here for the freedom. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, miamipadronsmoker said:

Luckily they moved us here in the USA, Feds, from 10 days to 5 days so when you count 5 from onset of symptoms employees don’t miss too much time.

Same here in Ontario Canada, 5 days from symptoms. My son got symptoms on Friday so my wife can go back in office on Wednesday.

Same here in Ontario Canada, 5 days from symptoms. My son got symptoms on Friday so my wife can go back in office on Wednesday.

Here only on a positive test, exposure doesn’t count. So a household member can have COVID and you can still work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, miamipadronsmoker said:

Here only on a positive test, exposure doesn’t count. So a household member can have COVID and you can still work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure same here my kid did test positive on Saturday but it's 5 days from symptoms or test whichever is first.

Edit: oh I see. Yeah if a household member tests positive you have to wait 5 days or until they test negative here.

On 1/8/2022 at 7:53 AM, Chas.Alpha said:

Anyway, spray insulation crew that was supposed to show up this week, out with COVID. That one is holding up ceiling framing in the main dining area. No bueno. A couple more hits like that and I won't make the contractual completion date...

Monday update: My operations manager is out with COVID. I had lunch with him last Wednesday... 😳

On 1/4/2022 at 8:03 PM, Bijan said:

We're at 80% to 90% vaccinated here and the effectiveness at preventing infection/symptomatic infection against omicron with two shots is between 0 and 12% more effective than being unvaccinated based on recent data from Quebec and Ontario. I think hospitalizations are 12x lower in the vaccinated so it's useful but it's really not helping stop omicron from spreading.

My doctor friend says the vaccinations stop the spread narrative is dead now.

Nothing is going to slow or stop the Rona. People just need to live their lives the best they can. Vaxed or unvaxed who cares. You do you boo. If people are high risk they need to stay home, not the majority.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, backslide said:

Nothing is going to slow or stop the Rona. People just need to live their lives the best they can. Vaxed or unvaxed who cares. You do you boo. If people are high risk they need to stay home, not the majority.

I'm double vaxxed with the booster, yet I can't help myself from believing that it is the copious amounts of beer and rum I consume that have kept this virus at bay...

• Haha 2