THE BEST WAY TO LIGHT A CIGAR....WHAT I’VE LEARNED THE HARD WAY

I guess we all have our ritual which kind of adds to the smoking experience but isn't the mission to get the foot to glow....and that's about it?  Aside from adding unwelcome flavor with a pungent fuel like oil or sulfur, is there really a measurable taste difference in how the cigar is initially lit?  Does anyone say, "boy if it hadn't been for the way I lighted that cigar it would have been a 93 but instead I give it an 89"?
I have honestly never been able to tell a difference between Bic and torch, toasting the foot first or just lighting directly with the flame.

That said, after 15 years smoking Cigars, I am unable to taste all the different flavor descriptions that people use in reviews. They all just taste like different tobacco to me

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

1 minute ago, smbauerllc said:

That said, after 15 years smoking Cigars, I am unable to taste all the different flavor descriptions that people use in reviews. They all just taste like different tobacco to me

Some of the more flavourful descriptions may be reaching or hyperbole. But I rarely get plain tobacco flavour in long filler CCs.

• Like 2

Just light it inside your shirt.  All the other Ex cigarette smokers here will know what I’m talking about
I'm a soon to be (hopefully) ex-cigarette smoker and have done it before. Even then the wind is typically so strong here that the flame bounces all over or goes out.

I typically smoke my cigars inside the little smoke shack here and wind isn't an issue then

Just now, mprach024 said:

I use a bic a lot when I travel, can’t take torches on airplanes.  There’s a learning curve but can be done successfully!

Been quite successful with the Cigar Traveller FOH lighter. Not the most durable item, though to be honest, we play with them too much. 

• Like 1

Some of the more flavourful descriptions may be reaching or hyperbole. But I rarely get plain tobacco flavour in long filler CCs.
I have always wondered if cigarettes just hadn't destroyed my palate, and that is the reason.
Plan to quit this week so we shall see if there's an improvement

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mprach024 said:

I use a bic a lot when I travel, can’t take torches on airplanes.  There’s a learning curve but can be done successfully!

Is that carry on or checked luggage? Never had a problem in checked luggage.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bijan said:

Some people do. There's a whole theory on lighting the cigar before cutting it. Watching it done it seems like it takes 5 minutes to scorch the end in that case but the theory is that uncut the initial smoke won't get into the cigar.

I've seen and heard of the opinions and theories, I just wonder if there is reality to any of it.  I mean really, we don't don't want smoke to enter the cigar?  Maybe if my palate could distinguish sweet vanilla cream from marshmallow, I'd understand, but I can't pretend that I've got that kind of tasting ability.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chibearsv said:

I've seen and heard of the opinions and theories, I just wonder if there is reality to any of it.  I mean really, we don't don't want smoke to enter the cigar?  Maybe if my palate could distinguish sweet vanilla cream from marshmallow, I'd understand, but I can't pretend that I've got that kind of tasting ability.

I think it's nonsense and I'm one of those who claims to be able to distinguish those flavours.

An aged Hoyo Epicure No. 1 can have a cream flavour and mouthfeel. Fonseca No. 1s will have what is called marshmallow, can't claim it's quite marshmallow taste, but it's a bit sweet but hollow and without the creamy mouthfeel.

Some flavours do resemble the descriptors (cream, vanilla, cloves), others are just labels for common flavours that come up time and again. For me Cohiba grass tastes like lemongrass not actual grass, and what's called Cohiba hay tastes like plain tea.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, smbauerllc said:

I have always wondered if cigarettes just hadn't destroyed my palate, and that is the reason.

Good luck!  If you need a sponsor let me know 😁

2 hours ago, La_Tigre said:

Been quite successful with the Cigar Traveller FOH lighter. Not the most durable item, though to be honest, we play with them too much. 

I’ve seen those, just never tried one.  Will it hold an actual bic or just those rectangular cheapies that shred your thumb?

• Like 1

Good luck!  If you need a sponsor let me know
Thanks
I know that its not going to be easy, as i have quit for a few months several times before and honestly don't get much in the way of nicotine withdrawal, its more of a mental addiction, especially living here in the veteran's home since I have nothing but free time.
Smoking is my excuse to get out and just something to do

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've pretty much followed this with torch lighters, use cedar at the local lounge when the torch is running low. 

When around the campfire with a couple drinks in me though I've nearly gone wiith the full Mongo Method

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bijan said:

Some people do. There's a whole theory on lighting the cigar before cutting it. Watching it done it seems like it takes 5 minutes to scorch the end in that case but the theory is that uncut the initial smoke won't get into the cigar.

This is what I do, and when I tried to do it on camera it becomes complicated to show the process and not take much longer. On average it takes about 20 seconds to get going.

But I certainly don't and wouldn't make any claims about 'the best method of lighting'.

I have honestly never been able to tell a difference between Bic and torch, toasting the foot first or just lighting directly with the flame.

Yes, cigarettes absolutely inhibit your sense of smell and sense of taste. When I was the GM for a tobacconist chain we had so many customers who quit smoking who came back and said they were shocked how much better everything smelled and tasted. One of the women I worked with quit by going to vape and she said it was unbelievable how little she had been able to taste compared to afterwards.

I hope it works for you and you're able to get more out of your Cubans, that would be awesome!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, smbauerllc said:

Thanks
I know that its not going to be easy, as i have quit for a few months several times before and honestly don't get much in the way of nicotine withdrawal, its more of a mental addiction, especially living here in the veteran's home since I have nothing but free time.
Smoking is my excuse to get out and just something to do

@smbauerllc Thank You for your service ..

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nino said:

Seen this technique used a lot in Cuba by cigar sommeliers and/or waiters/bartenders.

I was going to say the same, I have seen it done by waiters & cigar sommeliers.

Call me uncouth, but I'll light my cigar from my kitchen stove more frequently than using a Dupont.  I am beyond the pomp the circumstance.  In a formal setting I will be more high brow if needed lighting a cigar.

46 minutes ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

Yes, cigarettes absolutely inhibit your sense of smell and sense of taste. When I was the GM for a tobacconist chain we had so many customers who quit smoking who came back and said they were shocked how much better everything smelled and tasted. One of the women I worked with quit by going to vape and she said it was unbelievable how little she had been able to taste compared to afterwards.

I hope it works for you and you're able to get more out of your Cubans, that would be awesome!

Totally agree. When I quit smoking cigaretts cold turkey the challenge was 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months where when the cravings hit me the worst. Shortly after I made it past the 2 month mark something changed. Sense of taste and smell increased substantially. One of the most repulsive odors was someone walking in from the cold from smoking a cigarette. I could smell the smoke wafting the air as the passed and everytime I could barely stand the stink. 

The tough part of staying free of cigaretttes is change of the habit and if you hang out with other cigarette smokers. Once I broke free of cigarettes for a solid year or more before going to cigars I found I enjoyed cigars much more than I did previously. In part because I didn't have the high nicotine cravings of cigarettes so I controlled the cigar instead of the cigar controlling me. I could go days, weeks months without a cigar. Not so with cigarettes, about 2-3 hours before I needed another cigarette. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, smbauerllc said:

They do get the job done as long as there's no wind. Just have to be well practiced and checking on the light as you go to avoid uneven light and burn.

I was working in Oklahoma City for a couple of years (M-F and fly home).  Was so windy, I could hardly ever a light a cigar outside.  I ended up just lighting the cigar in between the two hotel doors and walking outside.

Great thread and a great reminder!  Given all the work from home action this past year, my cigar consumption has gone through the roof.  Nothing better than sinking into the sensory experience of a good smoke while ignoring all the blah-blah-blah on Zoom, haha.

When this thread popped up it reminded me I should stop using the jet torch and gently light with my table top instead...I have the time, why not?!  Had an Illusione Epernay this morning from a box I've been smoking all week.  Lighting gently makes a tangible difference.  Thanks y'all  :)

• Like 3