Does anyone still have an election party?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is difficult to think of hosting a bi-partisan election night party when one side sees the other as rioting, looting arsonists and the other sees their opponents as Nazi, KKK fascists. Neither

I think we all know it is a cluster**** out there of political intolerance largely fueled by media manipulation in all its forms.   At some stage those who don't like it need to take a stand and

I’m having a small one this morning ?

13 hours ago, NYgarman said:

We have 400 million firearms in the USA, more than one for every man, woman and child. There is very little tolerance and understanding here in my country in the year 2020. I am in a safe suburb, but there is concern about violent riots in the big cities tomorrow night. Pray for peace. 

The vast majority of gun owners have not been the ones rioting, looting and burning down cities these past 5 months or so. And I do not expect that to change tomorrow. Regardless, we are well overdue for peace and hopefully the next few hours, days etc are smooth without incident. If only we could all just sit down and have a smoke things would likely be a lot more civil.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I grew up in the most apolitical household in America - my parents wouldn’t even tell me who they voted for. I guess getting involved with politics was my form of rebellion?

• Haha 1

It’s a sad state of affairs, not just here but world wide. If you havnt watched the documentary The Social Dilemma, it encapsulates perfectly why our world is so polarized right now. Since then, I’ve shut down my social media and I’m only focusing on the things I can control. 

• Like 4

Covid isn't helping anyone.  The lockdown's and authoritarian policies world wide have exacerbated ideology & cemented division.  When people feel threatened or scared, emotions flare.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MrBirdman said:

my parents wouldn’t even tell me who they voted for.

My father is a lifelong Democrat, my mother a lifelong Republican--and they will be celebrating their seventieth anniversary soon.

Their secret--no discussion of politics within the home--ever.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cairo said:

My father is a lifelong Democrat, my mother a lifelong Republican--and they will be celebrating their seventieth anniversary soon.

Their secret--no discussion of politics within the home--ever.

Ha that's how my lady and I deal with it, great to know it works! 

I'll be attending a party among friends with differences of opinions. Totally normal here. As usual there will be a peaceful transition of power and the bets will be settled with fun. Most of what you see on the news and media these days don't represent real life. The media is way out of touch probably purposefully. I think the results will prove that. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, PigFish said:

Hell no. I am bringing a gun to zoom!!!

This has me pondering...which firearm is best for video chat?

With vitolas ranging from the Beretta 3032 Minuto to the Barrett A, it's tough to choose.

Or, this being a Habanos-related chat, would it be gauche to show up with anything Non-Combloc?

1 hour ago, Cairo said:

Their secret--no discussion of politics within the home--ever

Good advice, though it wasn’t enough to keep my parents married.

I’m in a relationship right now with someone who votes the opposite of me in every election (including this one). Also hates politics, which is a major plus for me since I need somewhere to take a break. Copious political discussion - even if you mostly agreed - isn’t a recipe for success. It’s too raw, too emotional, and too personal now. 

I was speaking to my mother yesterday and she shared how people we know voted for President. Her tone gave the impression she was sharing something deeply personal and revealing, as if so-and-so were closet swingers and she couldn’t believe old Mr. Smith was a Communist.

It’s even worse here in Pennsylvania because we are being made to feel as though we will decide the election. Thank goodness today marks the beginning of the end of the campaign. Quite enough of that for four years!

4 hours ago, Kaptain Karl said:

Ha that's how my lady and I deal with it, great to know it works! 

Another thing that works great; when you agree 99% of the time about politics.  I did not even plan for this, but boy is it an asset. 

Now if I can just get her to be a little more of a 2nd amendment supporter, I'll have it made.  

• Like 3