Eddie Van Halen dead at 65

I remember exactly where I was and who I was with when I first put needle to vinyl on their debut album. Mind blown.

This officially makes 2020 the worst year ever.

• Like 3

RIP Eddie Van Halen.  One of my first concerts.  High School staple blaring out of the cassette deck and aftermarket speakers in my Mom's old 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass 4 door.  Brown with a tan top and one grey door.   

• Like 2

Wish he had been more productive in the last 20 years. Their quality level while active was remarkably high. Very high success to dud ratio despite the different directions he took.

Undeniably, the most innovative and influential guitar player in history, an outstanding songwriter and very good all-around musician. Seems like his son is a great kid who loved him, so apparently a good father as well. 

• Like 2

Sad news. Spent a lot of time listening to and playing their music when I was in my teens. EVH was special. RIP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, rascalmonkey said:

saw them every time they came to town from '79 to '84

the first time i saw them was on their second tour and that was mind-blowing 

From what I understand, those 79-81 shows were legendary. A tremendous band at their peak. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to see them in that era.

I can tell you that San Diegans still remember well the "Van Halen weekend" in 84 when they played three shows in a row on a Fri, Sat & Sun in May. The whole area was one big tailgate party with people from all over SoCal. While not at their creative peak, they were arguably the biggest act in the world at that moment along with Michael Jackson, who Eddie had just played with. 

• Like 2

Listened to VanHalen II last night.   That is my favorite or go to VH album when I need fix.  That album has some ironic titles in light of Eddie's death. 

Does Wolfgang have the chops to play guitar?  They could do another tour with Wolfgang on guitar and Mark Anthony back on base/

2 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Listened to VanHalen II last night.   That is my favorite or go to VH album when I need fix.  That album has some ironic titles in light of Eddie's death. 

Does Wolfgang have the chops to play guitar?  They could do another tour with Wolfgang on guitar and Mark Anthony back on base/

"Michael" Anthony.  Bass guitar, not base. And no, they are done and should not try to resurrect the band. It would not be the same. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

"Michael" Anthony.  Bass guitar, not base. And no, they are done and should not try to resurrect the band. It would not be the same. 

Yeah. Eddie WAS the sound of VH.  Van Halen the band is done and should never be resurrected in any form.  Sure, there are guys like Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, John, 5, etc that could do some respectable renditions of Eddie's work, but I don't think the other members would have the stomach for it.  Outside of a tribute show, this wouldn't fly. 

• Like 1

I had all of their albums.  Saw them several times over the years.  Loved their music and Eddie was second to Page for me. 

I still I’ll remember the shouts of Eddie!  Eddie!  Eddie, just waiting for him to take stage and electrify the crowd. He will be missed. 

RIP EVH

18 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Does Wolfgang have the chops to play guitar? 

Apparently the kid can play just about anything. I believe he's releasing an album playing all the instruments and singing. Obviously he can't play guitar like his father but he's an exceptionally gifted musician. Here he is on drums with Alterbridge. Kid can seriously drum.