Avallo Humidor Review

Eric05

9 minutes ago, StogieSteve23 said:

Matt is still working on it.  He said it was supposed to ship this week (3/16) but emailed me last week and said it was his kids spring break this week coming up and forgot about it.  I'm hoping to have it before end of March. He's been good at emailing me updates and I know he's swamped so I'm trying not to rush it. 

I'll post pics of everything when it arrives. Hopefully sooner vs later! 

Hope it works out in the next couple of weeks for you.  He emailed me last week and said that he would be starting back up on my cabinet and a few other large custom cabinets in the next week or so.  I get the feeling he does not have a lot of the large cabinets that he's working on and they tend to get put on the back burner in the shop.  I don't expect to receive my cabinet until summer or maybe fall.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I promised you some pics and my update on first impressions of the unit once it was running for a bit and all my sticks were transferred over.  I placed the order for my DDD+ Cooled on April 1, 2020 a

Good afternoon. I recently purchased a Triple D Avallo humidor from Matt. I will give my honest review. I currently have a Aristocrat from Bob, which was the 48 Plus. As most of you know. I got t

My new humidor arrived and I was finally able to transfer my cigars from my old humidor.  A few pics are attached.  

Hey there gents. I am looking at the Avallos right now and I was wondering if anyone had feedback on the humidification canisters.

I presume these need to be filled with distilled water? Looking at the 2k unit photo on the website, it would seem that regardless of if you opt in for the retractable drawers you are going to have to shuffle boxes around to get to the canisters. 

Would appreciate it if anyone has any info on how often these need refilling (realizing this will vary based on your climate and average temp) and what the level of effort is to access them. 

AH2000RedBrownBeveled027.jpg

• Like 1

I recvd my 2k end of oct (went on Matt’s recommendation) and have 2 sets of the canisters   Yes to distilled and they are easy to access since shelves come all way out on the glides. After break in of 2 weeks unit was steady and filled it up. Added just a little more water but could have gone without adding. Very pleased and would buy again from Matt. 

16 hours ago, Boxer31 said:

I recvd my 2k end of oct (went on Matt’s recommendation) and have 2 sets of the canisters   Yes to distilled and they are easy to access since shelves come all way out on the glides. After break in of 2 weeks unit was steady and filled it up. Added just a little more water but could have gone without adding. Very pleased and would buy again from Matt. 

Thanks for the feedback, they look awesome! I read about having to be patient. I have an unanswered email, do you typically follow up via phone or does Matt get to emails eventually. 

Mostly email, although did speak once before he started my cab. He has always responded to emails- might be a day or two later.  Units are better than pics show. Quality was tops. 

39 minutes ago, Boxer31 said:

Mostly email, although did speak once before he started my cab. He has always responded to emails- might be a day or two later.  Units are better than pics show. Quality was tops. 

Great, thank you. I will follow up in a couple of more days. Yes, the pics on his website are pretty bad! The pics you guys have on this thread of your cabinets look fantastic.

I put down my deposit today for a Triple D. Now to sit back and wait 5-8+ months, the timeframe estimated by Matt! 

I am really excited, I was able to justify it as a 40th birthday present to myself (in June). 

One thing that was really wild was that Matt ran a shipping estimate for the unit to New York and it came back at $700. I confirmed that he was ok with customer pick up. If shipping is still high when its ready I may just take a trip to Nashville with my wife for a few days and drive it back!

• Like 2

I put down my deposit today for a Triple D. Now to sit back and wait 5-8+ months, the timeframe estimated by Matt! 
I am really excited, I was able to justify it as a 40th birthday present to myself (in June). 
One thing that was really wild was that Matt ran a shipping estimate for the unit to New York and it came back at $700. I confirmed that he was ok with customer pick up. If shipping is still high when its ready I may just take a trip to Nashville with my wife for a few days and drive it back!

Congratulations! I recently convinced my family to buy a cabinet for me for my 30th birthday. Celebrating even birthdays has its perks
  • Like 2

First time jumping on the forum in a few weeks.  Funny enough, I just paid Matt for the remainder of my unit and he shipped it out this afternoon.  I should have it on Thursday.  
I thought I was going to receive it about a month ago, but he had some family stuff come up along with both he and his wife contracting pneumonia. Ordered it April 1, 2020 so it was exactly 12 months for completion, despite him saying 8-10 months production time.  
He's a one man shop, so I didn't push too much.  Traded emails about a dozen times over the year and is great about giving you your deposit back come time for you to purchase the finished unit and not wanting it (I still wanted it haha..). 
Here are a few pics of the cabinet just before completion.  I will post more when it arrives later this week. 
IMG_20210404_185102157.thumb.JPG.12c4ed2ae4ec86fb2a370391952e12be.JPGIMG_20210404_185221346.thumb.JPG.055df65817e47164c3926a88ab649177.JPG

Gorgeous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, lovethehaze said:

Gorgeous

Thanks B.  I think so too. Love the black/grey (as Matt calls it) look.  Also, my fiancé didn’t want glass fronts so people could see in and look at all the “messy” boxes. Fine with me, plus Matt made a good point they the glass inserts allow for more temp/humidity fluctuation. Seems more like a piece of furniture vs large humidor cabinet now. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, StogieSteve23 said:

First time jumping on the forum in a few weeks.  Funny enough, I just paid Matt for the remainder of my unit and he shipped it out this afternoon.  I should have it on Thursday.  

I thought I was going to receive it about a month ago, but he had some family stuff come up along with both he and his wife contracting pneumonia. Ordered it April 1, 2020 so it was exactly 12 months for completion, despite him saying 8-10 months production time.  

He's a one man shop, so I didn't push too much.  Traded emails about a dozen times over the year and is great about giving you your deposit back come time for you to purchase the finished unit and not wanting it (I still wanted it haha..). 

Here are a few pics of the cabinet just before completion.  I will post more when it arrives later this week. 

That's a beautiful Humidor brother.  I know you are going to enjoy it when it's delivered, be sure to post some pics when you get it stocked and sorted out.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2021 at 10:20 PM, thebigdog said:

That's a beautiful Humidor brother.  I know you are going to enjoy it when it's delivered, be sure to post some pics when you get it stocked and sorted out.

Thanks BigDog! 

I’ll be posting pics this weekend, got it today.  It’s plugged in and cycling for the day/acclimating to my ambient conditions in the house.  So far, first thoughts are excellent packaging on shipping, beautiful cabinet, great construction, easy to use and setup.  will post pics and give a full rundown in the next couple days.  I plan on filling it tomorrow or Saturday. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, StogieSteve23 said:

Thanks BigDog! 

I’ll be posting pics this weekend, got it today.  It’s plugged in and cycling for the day/acclimating to my ambient conditions in the house.  So far, first thoughts are excellent packaging on shipping, beautiful cabinet, great construction, easy to use and setup.  will post pics and give a full rundown in the next couple days.  I plan on filling it tomorrow or Saturday. 

Thanks.  Looking forward to seeing them.

On 4/5/2021 at 8:43 PM, StogieSteve23 said:

IMG_20210404_185102157.thumb.JPG.12c4ed2ae4ec86fb2a370391952e12be.JPGIMG_20210404_185221346.thumb.JPG.055df65817e47164c3926a88ab649177.JPG

Congrats on the finished build, that black looks real sharp! Looking forward to more pics!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StogieSteve23 said:
I promised you some pics and my update on first impressions of the unit once it was running for a bit and all my sticks were transferred over.  I placed the order for my DDD+ Cooled on April 1, 2020 and it arrived to my house via freight service on April 8, 2021.  It was only in transit for 2 days after being shipped on April 6th, so coming from Nashville area to West Palm Beach area in Florida, I was very surprised at the speed of shipping.  It arrived via RL Carriers on a 53' tractor trailer with lift gate.  Not having the luxury of a garage to move the unit into and it arriving at 11am, I ended up offering the driver $50 to help me unpack the cabinet and get it into my condo.  Even with a hand truck that I borrowed from work, I never would have been able to get it in my condo by myself.  I lucked out with a good, competent driver who was willing to help in a pinch.  
First Impressions & Pros:  Love the unit. Upon unwrapping the cabinet from the excellent packing job Matt did (see pic of how it was packed/shipped below), I opened the doors and was hit in the face by a beautiful but not overwhelming cedar smell. I personally like the smell but I know some people aren't the biggest of fans.  It looks great like a beautiful sleek piece of furniture. My fiancé wouldn't allow any glass on the front so the "messy boxes" could be seen.  This was totally fine with me, plus there is less temperature/humidity fluctuation when you eliminate the glass and have solid doors. It doesn't feel flimsy or cheap at all but rather sturdy and "complete" if you will..  I also paid a little extra to have Matt put casters on it, so even when full, its very easy to move around on our wood floor. 
I added one extra cooler and two additional sets of fans than what it comes with since I was worried about the south Florida summer weather.  I plugged the unit in after getting it into the house, programed the temp/humidity and let it run for most of the day before adding any water into the cans.  Each humidity canister can be plugged in on its own so you can use all, one, two, etc.. Matt mentioned that because of my geographic location and constant relative humidity, let the unit run for most of the day with no water in the humidity canisters and see what happens.  Long story short on here, I ended up filling two (one top left and the other bottom right) to reach the humidity I was looking for.  I tried it with one first then did the second.  The Accumonitor system is great.  Super easy to use and very self explainable.  4 screens which show humidity set point, actual humidity, temp set point and actual temp.  There is also a separate control for the fans which you can adjust each set of fans on their own.  So, in my case, I have 4 sets of fans throughout the cabinet going top to bottom. You set each pair of fans for how long you want them to run per hour.  
I woke up on Friday morning, checked the temp/humidity levels and they were pretty much where I wanted them.  I went to work for half the day, came home and spent hours putting my stash into the cabinet.  The hardware is great with heavy duty magnets and soft closing sliders on the shelves.  I love the black/grey color and the brushed stainless door pulls. 
Cons: The unit is certainly noisier than I thought it would be or hope for, but its only when the coolers and running.  The singles drawer is smaller than I would like and also not as deep as it shows in the pictures on the Avallo website.  My opinion if I knew then what I know now, I would have asked for a deeper drawer or a second one below to be installed.  Much like an air conditioner, there is a condensate line on this unit to drain excess moisture generated by the coolers.  A small hose runs from the back and needs to be put into a recepticle for the water to drain into.  Not a big deal at all, but somewhat of an annoyance having to remember to check on the fluid levels and empty whatever has dripped out.  The amount of moisture will also depend on what conditions you're trying to keep the unit at and what your climate is based on geographic location.  
Overall, I'm very impressed with it and think it was well worth the wait.  Here are some pictures of unit.

Gorgeous

18 minutes ago, lovethehaze said:

Gorgeous emoji7.png

4 minutes ago, LLC said:

Looks great. Enjoy.

Thank you both! 

• Like 2

Beautiful humidor and thanks for sharing the pictures!  Impressive collection too.  Curious, what were you using for storage prior to receiving your new humidor?  

5 hours ago, StogieSteve23 said:
I promised you some pics and my update on first impressions of the unit once it was running for a bit and all my sticks were transferred over.  I placed the order for my DDD+ Cooled on April 1, 2020 and it arrived to my house via freight service on April 8, 2021.  It was only in transit for 2 days after being shipped on April 6th, so coming from Nashville area to West Palm Beach area in Florida, I was very surprised at the speed of shipping.  It arrived via RL Carriers on a 53' tractor trailer with lift gate.  Not having the luxury of a garage to move the unit into and it arriving at 11am, I ended up offering the driver $50 to help me unpack the cabinet and get it into my condo.  Even with a hand truck that I borrowed from work, I never would have been able to get it in my condo by myself.  I lucked out with a good, competent driver who was willing to help in a pinch.  
First Impressions & Pros:  Love the unit. Upon unwrapping the cabinet from the excellent packing job Matt did (see pic of how it was packed/shipped below), I opened the doors and was hit in the face by a beautiful but not overwhelming cedar smell. I personally like the smell but I know some people aren't the biggest of fans.  It looks great like a beautiful sleek piece of furniture. My fiancé wouldn't allow any glass on the front so the "messy boxes" could be seen.  This was totally fine with me, plus there is less temperature/humidity fluctuation when you eliminate the glass and have solid doors. It doesn't feel flimsy or cheap at all but rather sturdy and "complete" if you will..  I also paid a little extra to have Matt put casters on it, so even when full, its very easy to move around on our wood floor. 
I added one extra cooler and two additional sets of fans than what it comes with since I was worried about the south Florida summer weather.  I plugged the unit in after getting it into the house, programed the temp/humidity and let it run for most of the day before adding any water into the cans.  Each humidity canister can be plugged in on its own so you can use all, one, two, etc.. Matt mentioned that because of my geographic location and constant relative humidity, let the unit run for most of the day with no water in the humidity canisters and see what happens.  Long story short on here, I ended up filling two (one top left and the other bottom right) to reach the humidity I was looking for.  I tried it with one first then did the second.  The Accumonitor system is great.  Super easy to use and very self explainable.  4 screens which show humidity set point, actual humidity, temp set point and actual temp.  There is also a separate control for the fans which you can adjust each set of fans on their own.  So, in my case, I have 4 sets of fans throughout the cabinet going top to bottom. You set each pair of fans for how long you want them to run per hour.  
I woke up on Friday morning, checked the temp/humidity levels and they were pretty much where I wanted them.  I went to work for half the day, came home and spent hours putting my stash into the cabinet.  The hardware is great with heavy duty magnets and soft closing sliders on the shelves.  I love the black/grey color and the brushed stainless door pulls. 
Cons: The unit is certainly noisier than I thought it would be or hope for, but its only when the coolers and running.  The singles drawer is smaller than I would like and also not as deep as it shows in the pictures on the Avallo website.  My opinion if I knew then what I know now, I would have asked for a deeper drawer or a second one below to be installed.  Much like an air conditioner, there is a condensate line on this unit to drain excess moisture generated by the coolers.  A small hose runs from the back and needs to be put into a recepticle for the water to drain into.  Not a big deal at all, but somewhat of an annoyance having to remember to check on the fluid levels and empty whatever has dripped out.  The amount of moisture will also depend on what conditions you're trying to keep the unit at and what your climate is based on geographic location.  
Overall, I'm very impressed with it and think it was well worth the wait.  Here are some pictures of unit.

Wow! Looking great. Makes me feel like I need to step up my game. I thought my Avallo 2000 Cooled was starting to look like it was filling up and now, not as much...

36 minutes ago, thebigdog said:

Beautiful humidor and thanks for sharing the pictures!  Impressive collection too.  Curious, what were you using for storage prior to receiving your new humidor?  

Thank you and my pleasure! I had several large desktop humidors, 3 large 74qt tupperdors and a coolidor. Everything was in different locations around our condo, so this was the perfect way to condense and preserve. 

31 minutes ago, moellert said:

Wow! Looking great. Makes me feel like I need to step up my game. I thought my Avallo 2000 Cooled was starting to look like it was filling up and now, not as much...

It’s all relative! No doubt your 2000 is equally as great. It’s not the size mate, it’s how you use it.. 🤣

• Like 1

How much would you estimate the humidor weighs?  You mentioned that you and the delivery driver moved it inside, how much of the packaging did you remove prior to taking it inside (if any)?

7 hours ago, StogieSteve23 said:

IMG_20210406_181446246_HDR.JPG.35a4fc140b8f3314c4cf4e57e1169493.JPGIMG_3173.jpg.161a1dfd33a507837d03c0ab9c2883ee.jpgIMG_3153.jpg.b8fd2bd50c8387f9736fbf827c142fe9.jpgIMG_3174.jpg.c3b428e4326b15cd4b5d3800c1345d6b.jpgIMG_3175.jpg.05a924c5f15209528e2f3ee7bb675c9e.jpgIMG_3178.jpg.a38694dcb857dc03730396aca82ead43.jpgIMG_3180.jpg.aecfb851e7043c9fe5ca77f6ad6c5bae.jpgIMG_3181.jpg.853657b98459fc8cc9cd06c85ac567f5.jpgIMG_3183.jpg.0c6de133f44e2217bc52d7dd8342e4e2.jpg184503374_FanTimer2-Accumonitor.jpg.87bc9789610ed2d1641438f6050e8fd2.jpgIMG_3155.jpg.7f66e2be19d9b55747eef5408d84fcc4.jpg

That's absolute ass kicking cigar cabinet @StogieSteve23! Wish I have dat cabinet in my house hehe 😂.

BTW, did you season that cabinet by setting 65/65?