Avallo Humidor Review

Eric05

On 8/27/2020 at 3:44 PM, thebigdog said:

Hi Eric05,

Curious on the dimensions of your Avallo unit.  It could be the way you have the Avallo offset from the wall in the picture with the Aristocrat, but it appears that the depth of the Aristocrat is much greater than the Avallo?  The depth (per Avallo website) of the Avallo DDD is 24 inches and the depth of the Aristocrat (per Bob's website) is 25 inches.  Is the depth of your Avallo indeed the 24 inches?  BTW, beautiful cabinet and I am thinking about purchasing one too!

Thanks,

I don't know off the top of my head the dimensions. But I mean they are very similar. Could of been way I had my aristocrat. I like the unit. But it takes way too long. If I had to do it over. I would get one of those Chinese Humidor Racing something along those lines. You can get two for the same price which are temp controlled and humidity controlled 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I promised you some pics and my update on first impressions of the unit once it was running for a bit and all my sticks were transferred over.  I placed the order for my DDD+ Cooled on April 1, 2020 a

Good afternoon. I recently purchased a Triple D Avallo humidor from Matt. I will give my honest review. I currently have a Aristocrat from Bob, which was the 48 Plus. As most of you know. I got t

My new humidor arrived and I was finally able to transfer my cigars from my old humidor.  A few pics are attached.  

Thanks for the input.  I know about the wait, I spoke with Mat a few times and he estimated about 6-7 months.  I currently have one of the Chinese temp/humidity controlled units (Remington) now.  It has served me well for the past 3 years, but unfortunately it has reached it's storage capacity and I need something a little larger.  After some additional research I decided to place an order with Mat/Avallo for his largest unit (Cooled DDD Extra).  I will sell this one when the Avallo is delivered some time next year.  I'm hopeful this Avallo will be the last humidor I will purchase, but then again I've said that before too!   

20200902_150801.jpg

20200902_150848.jpg

42 minutes ago, mtd057 said:

My Avallo arrived two days ago and I just got it set up tonight.  I asked a freind to give me a hand getting it to the basement - definitely more than the wife and I could handle.  

Matt is a really great guy and very easy to work with but he is really busy these days. 20200902_181548.jpg.8249d92156f36af8fbd9eb0d72b0fc07.jpgI've been waiting a long time but I am very happy with my new humidor.  

That's a nice looking humidor, is that the Triple D?  How long did it take to complete the build? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thebigdog said:

That's a nice looking humidor, is that the Triple D?  How long did it take to complete the build? 

Yes, a Triple D-took about 10 months

• Sad 1

That's at least the lead time I'm preparing for.  How is the finish and fit of the doors, do the doors seal well?  What do you think about the locking mechanism on the door, I read that it is not that secure or somewhat flimsy? 

1 hour ago, thebigdog said:

That's at least the lead time I'm preparing for.  How is the finish and fit of the doors, do the doors seal well?  What do you think about the locking mechanism on the door, I read that it is not that secure or somewhat flimsy? 

Its only been here a few days but everything seems well built and solid including the doors and lock.  

2 hours ago, mtd057 said:

Its only been here a few days but everything seems well built and solid including the doors and lock.  

That's good to hear!  Like I said, the humidor looks great and I hope you get many good years of use out of it.  Thanks for sharing and enjoy it in good health!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Eric05 said:

If you want you can always change the tape used for the seal. He uses this cheap foam stuff. It's ok. Right now my humidor has been pretty steady at 66-67 mainly because its in the basement. 

Did you swap out the foam tape on yours?  If so, what did you use?

On 9/3/2020 at 5:59 PM, thebigdog said:

Did you swap out the foam tape on yours?  If so, what did you use?

I actually preferred the tape that bob had on his cabinets, I contacted him and asked if he had anymore and sent it out to me

I actually preferred the tape that bob had on his cabinets, I contacted him and asked if he had anymore and sent it out to me

What kind of tape was on the Aristocrats? Is it something we can find on amazon or elsewhere? I feel like I’ve heard a few people say they thought it was superior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Eric05 said:

Can you elaborate a bit more on the type, size, etc. of the tape Bob sent you?

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2020 at 12:03 AM, StogieSteve23 said:

Agree with you on this.  I have a Cooled DDD+ on order right now being built.  Placed the order with Matt back in Mid April and have been in touch with him since.  One of those "you can't rush perfection" kind of things.  Really looking forward to getting it but I suspect due to the size of the cabinet and how backed up he is on previous order, I wont see it until something in mid December at the earliest.

Take what you can get, am I right?! I showed my fiancé the cabinet and was looking at the Cooled DDD originally and she told me to get the + so I didn't have to get another one for a long time.. I was shocked and thrilled so I put an order in for the larger one.  Maybe it's because she had just ordered her Peleton around the same time, but I'll chalk it up to the fact she didn't want more than one "humidor" sitting around anymore.  

When you receive your humidor please post some pictures of it.  I also placed a order with Mat for the Cooled DDD+ and would like to see some photos of one.  I am behind you in the queue by a few months.

• Like 1

When you receive your humidor please post some pictures of it.  I also placed a order with Mat for the Cooled DDD+ and would like to see some photos of one.  I am behind you in the queue by a few months.

Will do. I’m too busy with work right now to think about waiting for the cabinet. Probably a good thing though.. Last time I checked in with Matt was early September and he had the shell ready but said there were still several other units he was building before mine. I’ll post pics whenever it arrives.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StogieSteve23 said:

Will do. I’m too busy with work right now to think about waiting for the cabinet. Probably a good thing though.. Last time I checked in with Matt was early September and he had the shell ready but said there were still several other units he was building before mine. I’ll post pics whenever it arrives.

Thanks, and I hear you brother.  I placed my order around the beginning of September and I don't plan to touch base with Mat until February/March 2021!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mtd057 said:

My humidor arrived a few months ago and so far I am very happy with it.  Debating between using Boveda and/or beads or sticking with distilled water.  20201018_134829.jpg.2a54a60dc541737ec6780e1c9b953b02.jpg20201018_135405.jpg.c0dd1aa46568bb6591cbe7a460b9dc75.jpg

Very nice humidor!  I'm curious, why would you not use the accumonitor system to control your humidity?  I would imagine that the humidification system in the humidor was part of reasoning behind purchasing it.  Does it not humidify the humidor properly?  

17 hours ago, thebigdog said:

Very nice humidor!  I'm curious, why would you not use the accumonitor system to control your humidity?  I would imagine that the humidification system in the humidor was part of reasoning behind purchasing it.  Does it not humidify the humidor properly?  

It works fine but I am trying to see if I can get less fluctuation in humidity on a daily basis.  I've seen more consistency using Boveda so far. 

28 minutes ago, mtd057 said:

It works fine but I am trying to see if I can get less fluctuation in humidity on a daily basis.  I've seen more consistency using Boveda so far. 

When you say fluctuations, do you mean humidity is too high or too low or do you mean different RH readings at the top and bottom?  Even after playing around with the circulation fan timer you are still getting humidity fluctuations? 

1 minute ago, thebigdog said:

When you say fluctuations, do you mean humidity is too high or too low or do you mean different RH readings at the top and bottom?  Even after playing around with the circulation fan timer you are still getting humidity fluctuations? 

different RH readings at the top and bottom, I have the fans set for 10 minutes per hour now.  

On 10/19/2020 at 10:25 AM, mtd057 said:

different RH readings at the top and bottom, I have the fans set for 10 minutes per hour now.  

How many sets of fans do you have in your humidor (I see two sets)?  Are all your fans set at the same time intervals per hour or do you try and stagger the on/off cycles?

On 10/20/2020 at 3:47 PM, thebigdog said:

How many sets of fans do you have in your humidor (I see two sets)?  Are all your fans set at the same time intervals per hour or do you try and stagger the on/off cycles?

3 sets of fans set to run 10 minutes per hour.  They are all set to run at the same time