Avallo Humidor Review

Eric05

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I promised you some pics and my update on first impressions of the unit once it was running for a bit and all my sticks were transferred over.  I placed the order for my DDD+ Cooled on April 1, 2020 a

Good afternoon. I recently purchased a Triple D Avallo humidor from Matt. I will give my honest review. I currently have a Aristocrat from Bob, which was the 48 Plus. As most of you know. I got t

My new humidor arrived and I was finally able to transfer my cigars from my old humidor.  A few pics are attached.  

Thanks for the honest review. I was in the market to purchase an Avallo at the end of 2019. I called and left a message saying I’d like to make an order — left my phone number twice on his voicemail and still to this day have not heard back.

Needless to say, I went a different route. I should have my Vigilant humidor delivered in March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PrairieSmoke said:

Thanks for the honest review. I was in the market to purchase an Avallo at the end of 2019. I called and left a message saying I’d like to make an order — left my phone number twice on his voicemail and still to this day have not heard back.

Needless to say, I went a different route. I should have my Vigilant humidor delivered in March.

A friend of mine ordered a Viglant Humidor. Was completed in 8 weeks delivered within 10. Not as big of a unit but he likes it. 

• Like 1

Appreciate the review! I have a triple D shorty on order, and it’s been quite the wait (why count the weeks? I’d only be hurting myself). But, I’m patient (as long as the product’s good, the wait ain’t no thing). I also have one of the last cabinets produced by Bob (a mini-tall) that I was hoping to love, but from day one it has had an unusual odor (Bob tried to make things right, building/sending me a replacement cabinet, but that one has the same issue). So, after about a year not being willing to put any loose cigars in the Aristocrat (for fear of the cigars taking on the odor) I’m hoping (praying) that the Avallo smells better, or at least neutral. You say you Aristocrat smells better, but does the Avallo smell bad? Or just not as good?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, McBeardface said:

Appreciate the review! I have a triple D shorty on order, and it’s been quite the wait (why count the weeks? I’d only be hurting myself). But, I’m patient (as long as the product’s good, the wait ain’t no thing). I also have one of the last cabinets produced by Bob (a mini-tall) that I was hoping to love, but from day one it has had an unusual odor (Bob tried to make things right, building/sending me a replacement cabinet, but that one has the same issue). So, after about a year not being willing to put any loose cigars in the Aristocrat (for fear of the cigars taking on the odor) I’m hoping (praying) that the Avallo smells better, or at least neutral. You say you Aristocrat smells better, but does the Avallo smell bad? Or just not as good?

I guess for me with bobs it was the aroma of that cedar smell that came from bobs. What did you smell from yours. The Avallo doesn’t have a bad smell. It’s just a wood smell, i just put my cigars in. So we will see what that difference is with all the Tobacco in there now. And how the humidity will adjust. I know some people can just forget about it. But when being told 3 months and then waiting till 7 it tends to get annoying. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I don't have any additional photos of it. But it has been maintaining roughly 65% humidity since I've had it. I am very happy with the unit. It stays in my basement so it doesn't go over 68 in temp.

• Like 1

I am 2 months in waiting.  Hopefully sometime in sept it gets delivered. Matt was great to chat with and very accommodating. 

• Like 1

I am 2 months in waiting.  Hopefully sometime in sept it gets delivered. Matt was great to chat with and very accommodating. 

I’ll take any odds you want to give me on the over! Love my 2000 Cooled but it is a wait. I ordered in October and took delivery in late May.

Lol - rather have a quality product than a rushed one and by all accounts that’s what he produces. Not going to get bent if his timeline slips

• Like 1

Thats my thought as well. He was very good to deal with and gave me options to help maintain the temp and humidity that i want. I ended up putting down a 1/3 deposit, but he did tell me 7 months minimum. He said there is 12 or 13 ahead of me to be completed. Not a problem for me as my house is still being built and should be complete in 4 months. 

Yep. I can’t say enough good things about Matt and his product. He’s underwater obviously with Aristocrat closing their business. But two months in I am very pleased with my unit. Works great and it a good looking piece of furniture. So good looking that my wife lets me keep it in our bedroom (lets me keep a close eye on it and keep anyone from snooping thru my stash).

That is funny and great to hear you are pleased with it. Don’t think I can convince the wife to keep it under lock and key in the bedroom. Was lucky she agreed to the family room. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Boxer31 said:

Lol - rather have a quality product than a rushed one and by all accounts that’s what he produces. Not going to get bent if his timeline slips

Agree with you on this.  I have a Cooled DDD+ on order right now being built.  Placed the order with Matt back in Mid April and have been in touch with him since.  One of those "you can't rush perfection" kind of things.  Really looking forward to getting it but I suspect due to the size of the cabinet and how backed up he is on previous order, I wont see it until something in mid December at the earliest.

11 minutes ago, Boxer31 said:

That is funny and great to hear you are pleased with it. Don’t think I can convince the wife to keep it under lock and key in the bedroom. Was lucky she agreed to the family room. 

Take what you can get, am I right?! I showed my fiancé the cabinet and was looking at the Cooled DDD originally and she told me to get the + so I didn't have to get another one for a long time.. I was shocked and thrilled so I put an order in for the larger one.  Maybe it's because she had just ordered her Peleton around the same time, but I'll chalk it up to the fact she didn't want more than one "humidor" sitting around anymore.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, StressedDad25 said:

Thats my thought as well. He was very good to deal with and gave me options to help maintain the temp and humidity that i want. I ended up putting down a 1/3 deposit, but he did tell me 7 months minimum. He said there is 12 or 13 ahead of me to be completed. Not a problem for me as my house is still being built and should be complete in 4 months. 

It's funny to think you say well 12-13 ahead of me. It's almost like moving in slow motion. Me personally I feel there can be a bigger name making these with the same quality if not better, quicker.

17 hours ago, StogieSteve23 said:

Agree with you on this.  I have a Cooled DDD+ on order right now being built.  Placed the order with Matt back in Mid April and have been in touch with him since.  One of those "you can't rush perfection" kind of things.  Really looking forward to getting it but I suspect due to the size of the cabinet and how backed up he is on previous order, I wont see it until something in mid December at the earliest.

Take what you can get, am I right?! I showed my fiancé the cabinet and was looking at the Cooled DDD originally and she told me to get the + so I didn't have to get another one for a long time.. I was shocked and thrilled so I put an order in for the larger one.  Maybe it's because she had just ordered her Peleton around the same time, but I'll chalk it up to the fact she didn't want more than one "humidor" sitting around anymore.  

My first unit, from bob my wife flipped out. I had it in my dining room. Said it has to go in the basement. Which was ok. I finished my basement. Then I said it was time for a upgrade because I was running out of room. I'm happy I went with this unit. The ddd tall would of been maybe too tall for my basement. I feel this is a good size.

The one thing I will say. And this takes nothing away from Matt. Bob for sure produces a better unit. Having both. Bob's just feels more sturdy. Heavier(in a good way) The draws are nicer in bob's. Matts humidification unit is by far much better then Bob's. I will say that much. I actually have to organize mine soon. 

• Like 1

I did look at other vendors that would have the humidor done faster. But for the same size and less extras, the Vigilant quote for a cooled 1500 Vault was double the price of Avallo. Couldnt justify the extra cost for having it sooner.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 2:12 PM, PrairieSmoke said:

My Vigilant came quickly and the quality is as good as it gets, but yeah you will pay for it. 

In talks with vigilant now regarding a custom build.  Did you order the temp and RH system?  I’m struggling to find many reviews on the quality of the RH/Temp control system.  I have no doubt the cabinet will be exceptionally built I’d love some honest feedback from a current owner.   Thank you.  

I did not get temp control. The range of temps I have just didn’t necessitate it. I did upgrade to the Guardian Digital system and I’ve been impressed. Readings were accurate and it was wired nicely both for electrical connection and a central placement on the back wall for the humidity probe. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 12:16 PM, Eric05 said:

Good afternoon.

I recently purchased a Triple D Avallo humidor from Matt. I will give my honest review. I currently have a Aristocrat from Bob, which was the 48 Plus. As most of you know. I got that unit thinking I would never have to purchase another and boy I was wrong. I outgrew it very quickly, as I purchased more and more boxes. When I was finally ready to purchase a new unit. I realized Bob was leaving the industry of building new Humidors. Doing some research. And having some contact with Matt from Avallo. I decided to purchase from him. I can't say the process was as fluent as Bob's. As its hard to compare now, being that he is no longer making them. I was given a 12 week time frame on the unit. My Aristocrat took maybe 15-16 weeks to get delivered. I expected it to be longer from what people have said. Communication is not his strong suit. In total I waited over 7 months to get my unit. Receiving it finally yesterday. Countless emails, and something always happening. And I get it, he is busy. But there has to be a certain point were you have to say. Maybe I need to stop taking orders or developing a system that works better then what you are doing now. I was lucky enough to have a unit already but I never expected to wait this long. That's my honest opinion. 

The unit itself. Packaged came very well wrapped. He took his time and made sure it was protected perfectly. Its a solid piece of wood. Heavy. The finish was very nice. Very happy with the way it turned out. Setting up the unit, there are really no directions other then what he put in the email. Since it's cold out. I brought the unit in and let it sit for 5 hours to get acclimated to the temp in my home. Then i vacuumed the unit out, making sure I got all the dust out of it. And then finally let it run. I set to 65 and let it run over night at that temp. Waking it up, kept the RH pretty good. Its within 2% of my actual gauges. And then set to 68 which will keep it between 66-68. Which I am happy with it. 

There are not a lot of reviews online, pictures are hard to come by. So I am giving my honest opinion and review. In no way is this a knock against Matt. I love my unit. I think it came out great. There are a couple things I noticed I wish were done better. Like under the molding on the top is not finished with stain. The draws don't go all the way back. Which kinda leaves room for you to put more boxes. Not a big deal something I noticed different then my Aristocrat. The draws I feel are not as thick as Bob's. And the smell. When I opened Bob's the smell is just incredible. Matt I didn't get that. Different woods. Again nothing major, but then again there is no other choice in purchasing a unit from Bob so just know what you are getting into and what to expect. I will tell you this Matt has a great system for RH. The unit is much better then Bob's this is where it shines. And honestly all that matters to me. He puts his hard work into the unit. The doors are solid, the finish is better then what I expected. I will post better photos later on and once it's filled. But overall I am satisfied. With the purchase. He is a great guy, over whelmed. Needs a better timeline/system or help but just expect if you order its going to be a wait. Be ok with that. 

B384063C-DE1C-497C-97D3-07A2665CA25F.jpeg

Hi Eric05,

Curious on the dimensions of your Avallo unit.  It could be the way you have the Avallo offset from the wall in the picture with the Aristocrat, but it appears that the depth of the Aristocrat is much greater than the Avallo?  The depth (per Avallo website) of the Avallo DDD is 24 inches and the depth of the Aristocrat (per Bob's website) is 25 inches.  Is the depth of your Avallo indeed the 24 inches?  BTW, beautiful cabinet and I am thinking about purchasing one too!

Thanks,