bourbons on which to splurge

Ken Gargett

found this article. not sure we'd all agree with everything. 

THE BEST HIGH-ROLLER BOURBON

Contributed by Liquor.com

Posted on Oct 25, 2019

Slide 1(illustration: Laura Sant)

You know who knows best which bottles to buy? The people who pour and sell drinks—that’s who. We asked dozens of top bartending and spirits industry professionals to tell us which bottles they love and why.

Heads up: The numerical order below is not organized by importance or quality; it’s an alphabetical list, not a ranking. Prices are averages and can vary from state to state.

Slide 2

“A great gift for the history lover, this Nashville bourbon was brought back to life by the grandsons of the original whiskey-maker. They have also been finishing the bourbon in sherry and Madeira casks like a fine scotch. Given our forefathers love of Madeira, this is a great national spirit selection for any patriot.”—Abigail Gullo, bar manager and assistant general manager at Ben Paris at The State Hotel in Seattle

Slide 3

“I was lucky enough to work at a bar that carried this expression back in the early 2000s. I have fond memories of its heady aroma of resin and oak. For a bourbon, it drinks a bit dry, with a long finish of char and tar, with hits of citrus. It’s a splurge bottle for me just based on the memories.”—Sother Teague, beverage director at Amor y Amargo, Blue Quarter, HoneyBee's and Windmill in New York City

Slide 4

3: BLADE AND BOW ($54)

“This bottle is generally available and a nice versatile whiskey. Its initial flavor profile is sweet, but it spreads out nicely on the palate and makes a nice Old Fashioned.”—Chall Gray, co-owner of Little Jumbo in Asheville, N.C.

Slide 5

4: BLANTON'S GOLD EDITION ($300)

“Bourbon fans with a sweet tooth will find a lot to love in the creme brulee and apple cobbler flavors in this Blanton's. Strong notes of sweet corn and holiday spices round out this classic bourbon.”—Joaquín Simó, partner at Pouring Ribbons in New York City

Slide 6

“It seems everyone is looking for a bottle of Blantons’ to add to their collection, and there’s a good reason why: It’s outstanding. After all of these years, it’s nice to see the original single-barrel whiskey is still on top.”—Erick Castro, owner of Polite Provisions in San Francisco and bartender at Boilermaker and Raised by Wolves in New York City

Slide 7

6: BOOKER’S ($74)

“High-proof yet still maintaining that classic bourbon sweetness, it's great with one ice cube to temper it ever so slightly.”—Travis Sanders, bartender at Pennyroyal in Seattle

Slide 8

“Confectionary notes abound upfront in this 100-proof bourbon, but the finish is gloriously dry and spicy. Your Manhattans and Old Fashioneds will be thanking you this holiday season.”—Simó

Slide 9

“If you can find it, this is easily one of the best bourbons Buffalo Trace makes every year—a soft floral option in terms of a barrel-proof.”—Zachary Helton, bartender at Cork & Cow in Franklin, Tenn.

Slide 10

“This is a strong, spicy and lengthy-tasting bourbon. Heaven Hill really outdoes itself with every different batch of this selection.”—Helton

Slide 11

“A few years ago, you could hardly give this stuff away to the average bourbon drinker, even though the hard-core always knew the real scoop. But now that it won Best Whiskey at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition, the cat is out of the bag. If you can find a bottle for a good price, do yourself a favor and snatch it up.”—Castro

Slide 12

“Not only is this expression 100% corn, it’s made from an heirloom variety called Jimmy Red, giving it a nutty-sweet flavor that’s extremely intriguing. I got a bottle as a gift and have been buying my own since. This is a distillery to watch.”—Teague

Slide 13

“This is the swan song distilled by the legendary distiller Dave Pickerell, who passed away last year. It was created using a system modeled on the Spanish solera method, with bourbons of various rates of maturity blended into one another to create a final product of great complexity and depth.”—Castro

Slide 14

13: KINGS COUNTY ($82)

“I’m a sucker for a hometown hero, and I’ve watched this award-winning distillery grow from its infancy. Strong at 45% and sweet from caramelized sap in the small barrel maturation, it’s got loads of baking spices and hints of molasses tangled in with sweet corn. I splurge on this bottle as gifts to colleagues and friends not from New York.”—Teague

Slide 15

14: MICHTER'S 10 YEAR ($200)

“This bourbon is like velvet in your mouth, with wonderful buttery toffee notes finishing spicy and balanced.”——Cari Hah, bar manager at Big Bar in Los Angeles

Slide 16

15: NOAH'S MILL ($60)

“Noah's Mill is a 114 proof bourbon coming from the Willett family again. It’s the perfect holiday spirit, lush with rich spiced nuts and dried fruit. And a little goes a long way to spike your cocoa.”—Gullo

Slide 17

16: OLD FORESTER BIRTHDAY ($195)

“It’s different every year, so it’s worthy of repeat gifts.”—Gullo

Slide 18

“This high-proof rendition of what the distillers feel like a Prohibition-era whiskey would taste like hits on a number of levels. It doesn't overpower your taste buds like most at this proof.”—Gray

Slide 19

“A plethora of dried fruits and savory spices are held in check by remarkably well-integrated oaky tannins. This is exactly the sort of lip-smacking flavor bomb that proves that patience in the rickhouse will be rewarded in the bottle.”—Simó

Slide 20

19: WESTLAND SHERRY WOOD ($75)

“Showing off what Seattle can do with great malt, Westland uses new american oak and old sherry casks to make a great whiskey.”—Sanders

Slide 21

20: WIDOW JANE 10 YEAR ($75)

“It reminds me of an old smoking room/library—mahogany in color, old oak, dusty bookshelf and raisins in the aroma. The taste? America.”—Joe Pereira, bartender-at-large in New Bedford, Mass.

Slide 22

“If you want to talk about incredible bourbons that slide under the radar, this is definitely one of them. This is a single-barrel bourbon that comes to us courtesy of the same team that makes Russell’s Reserve and Wild Turkey, both outstanding whiskeys in their own right, and it appropriately comes in at the 101 proof that we love so much.”—Castro

Slide 23

22: WILD TURKEY MASTERS KEEP ($157)

“This 17-year-old bourbon was handpicked by Eddie Russell and takes your palate on a flavor journey.”—Hah
Slide 24

23: WILD TURKEY RARE BREED ($55)

“Master distiller Jimmy Russell doesn't care for over-aged bourbons, and I happen to agree. I like my whiskey like I like my men: a little on the younger side. The exception for both myself and Jimmy is this Rare Breed. At barrel proof, this six-, eight- and 12-year-old blend packs a punch and is a secret Russell family favorite.”—Gullo
Slide 25
“It’s hard to find and rare, for good reason, because it’s fantastic. Woody and honeyed, complex and rich, this bourbon is worth it.”—Hah
Slide 26

25: WILLETT FAMILY ESTATE 12 YEAR ($1,300)

“Holy smokes, they know what they're doing up there in Bardstown. The family-owned distillery makes insanely hard-to-find bourbons for a reason, because everyone that sees a bottle should buy it.”—Helton
Slide 27

26: WILLETT POT STILL RESERVE ($57)

“The family at Willett gets their hands on my favorite whiskey. This is a classic, with a really great bottle to boot, which you really want to have in a gift.”—Gullo
Slide 28

“This makes an amazing Manhattan, especially paired with a full-bodied vermouth, like Carpano, or something with more spice, like Punt e Mes.”—Gray

Slide 29

“Woodford makes its own barrels at the Brown-Forman cooperage. No one besides Brown-Forman can do this, therefore Woodford Reserve makes all the decisions going into its bourbon from grain to glass. Other bourbons have to rely on other cooperages to make a barrel they hope is what they want.”—Helton

• Like 1

Thanks Ken. Bourbon isn't what I usually reach for nowadays. I think I drunk my weight in Jim Beam and cokes in my younger days. But I have been making Manhattans with Rye Whisky. I'd like to get a bottle of good bourbon to enjoy. Any tips on availability of a quality example from Aus stores?

1 minute ago, Bill Hayes said:

Thanks Ken. Bourbon isn't what I usually reach for nowadays. I think I drunk my weight in Jim Beam and cokes in my younger days. But I have been making Manhattans with Rye Whisky. I'd like to get a bottle of good bourbon to enjoy. Any tips on availability of a quality example from Aus stores?

bill, of these, i really like blantons - they have a good range out here and those prices seem hefty for what we pay (normally the other way around). also michters. cracking bourbon.

the wild turkey masters keep is a good series but 17 year old mentioned here was a one off release a while back. a new one out next year, the cornerstone, and you might find their 1894 or their revival (which i think is a terrific cigar bourbon - and yes, about to appear in kenfessions). 

the willetts get big wraps but they have serious price tags. out of my range. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 8:20 PM, Ken Gargett said:

the willetts get big wraps but they have serious price tags. out of my range. 

I figure most of you don't live near me, so I'm comfortable mentioning Johnny Drum Private Stock to y'all as yet another Willett product that delivers in spades.  Don't let the lower pricetag fool you.

download.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of not good bourbon on this list. The willett 12 year still ranks as the best bourbon I've ever had but I can't believe anyone would pay that price. I was just lucky to grab a bottle before the masses jumped on board. 

• 2 months later...

A pretty decent list. For the money (depending on your preferred flavor profile) that Elijah Craig Barrel Proof and Weller 12 are great. More recent examples have not been as good as the past. Blantons, Bookeds are always great buys. That Wild Turkey Masters Keep is probably the most complex bourbon that is still very “soft” and not too bombastic but tasty. More towards the Four Roses crowd

On 10/29/2019 at 9:23 PM, Bill Hayes said:

Thanks Ken. I might give the Blantons a go. Cheers for the prompt response.

Very popular brand.  Angel's Envy is one that should've been added to the list.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 10:43 PM, earthson said:

I figure most of you don't live near me, so I'm comfortable mentioning Johnny Drum Private Stock to y'all as yet another Willett product that delivers in spades.  Don't let the lower pricetag fool you.

download.jpeg

True!  I wish I could get my hands on their Creuset bottle but they don't ship. Rich, flavorful,  very smooth dram. Do t hype it too much or it'll fall victim to price hikes. 

On 2/10/2020 at 9:13 AM, backbone said:

No list is complete without George T Stagg!  

I am about 3 pours into a bottle of George T. Stagg. Super flavor, very smooth bourbon. Definitely worth the money.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Derboesekoenig said:

The question is, which money?

Worth $100 for sure? I assume....but $450. Is it worth that?

I got a bottle of uncut barrel proof (117 proof) for about $120 from the state monopoly. Definitely worth $120. For $450, you better be sending me a case of it!

• 2 weeks later...

Great list.  Every time I see Blanton's near me I grab it. Used to be readily available and now if you can find it locally it's crept up in price. 

Anyone have thoughts on Elmer T. Lee?  I lucked into a bottle a while back and for $40 I figured I couldn't go wrong.  

Also excited to try the Elmer T. Lee 100th. 

48 minutes ago, n0s4atu said:

Great list.  Every time I see Blanton's near me I grab it. Used to be readily available and now if you can find it locally it's crept up in price. 

Anyone have thoughts on Elmer T. Lee?  I lucked into a bottle a while back and for $40 I figured I couldn't go wrong.  

Also excited to try the Elmer T. Lee 100th. 

I have only tried regular ETL and I loved it. Blantons is not worth secondary, in my opinion. 

I have only tried regular ETL and I loved it. Blantons is not worth secondary, in my opinion. 
Agreed. There aren't many bottles I'd chase at secondary market pricing frankly.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Blantons Gold is one of the best bourbons I've tasted. Too bad it's impossible to find on the shelf here in the states. Hell you can barely find regular Blantons, and when you can it's way overpriced! Really this price gouging has to stop. That's why I quit buying the high end stuff. It's beyond ridiculous at this point...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I picked out a bottle of Woodford double  oaked for my Dad's birthday and got to try a glass, that in some incredible whiskey. I've never had bourbon like it before, and I've had a lot of the regular line from Woodford, knob creek, Elijah Craig, wild turkey etc

I didn't realise bourbon could have that depth of flavour or richness.