First test of the FoH group DIY problem solving!

So I've a big old concrete washing line post that slap-bang in middle of where we sit outside, so I've decided it's going to go to the big garden in the sky.

I've dug down and it's firmly concreted in, that big lump half way down on the side continues down then around the base.

I've hit it a few times with a big hammer, mattock then chiseled (See result) to no avail, so that's the brute force solution attempted.

Oh and It's also got re-bar running through it, not sure why that was needed; I'm guessing somewhere down the line they decided to make it difficult to remove

So now I'm consulting the FoH hive mind!

Screenshot_20190524-184803.png

Screenshot_20190524-184810.png

Screenshot_20190524-184813.png

If you have a circular saw you could buy 3-4 masonry blades and cut it in a hour or two. Or go the the rental yard and get a gas powered block / masonry saw and do it in a couple of minutes. Either way, get a helper so it doesn't fall over on your head. 

• Like 2

Cant you just cut is off with 9inch grinder and a diamond disc?   You should be able to rent one from HSS for not to much.   If you've got a partner in crime you could get them to spray the saw line with water and you get at it. 

• Like 2

Rent a bobcat and pull it. Usually much more concrete under this like a root ball for a shrub .. and dir much wider around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As General Contractors, THIS is what we would use to take that down in 2 minutes. You can rent them, but this can be dangerous with no experience. My advice? Hire a bloke who owns one of these, and sit back and watch, cigar in hand (and earmuffs on).

51mvMTgkeSL._SX425_.jpg.d0c6c7d5bee4fdae95d3678a6452cb53.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, Islandboy said:

As General Contractors, THIS is what we would use to take that down in 2 minutes. You can rent them, but this can be dangerous with no experience. My advice? Hire a bloke who owns one of these, and sit back and watch, cigar in hand (and earmuffs on).

Demo saws are SOOO much Fun!!

14 minutes ago, Islandboy said:

Does this work on ex-girlfriends?

???

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Islandboy said:

Looks like this route is the general consensus, I think the brother-in-law has that type of stuff, I know he's been cutting stone flags for his drive recently so I'm hoping he has the right disc disk. 

Certainly don't have the experience with the heavier side of power tools to not take multiple limbs off myself and/or others nearby! 

Thanks all!

28 minutes ago, BoliDan said:

I'm terrible at this stuff. Just want to say that is some heavy duty overkill for a washing line post. What could possibly need to be dried and needs that much load bearing?

I've no idea! I only know be next door has one too and it's all smashed open with the rebar exposed. They liked to make things last back in the 40s!

If it were me, I would set an anchor, (or use an existing one like a tree) and pull it over with a come-along or winch. You can buy one at Harbor Freight for cheap.  

52 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

Rent a Hammer drill, throw on a chisel tip and start making noise!! You should be able to get through the rebar with a metal blade on a Sawzall, or an angle grinder if you can make room. 

That was my first thought, I've a hammer drill/rotary but it's an old mains powered one, with a chuck to fit different heads, I'm guessing I'd need a dedicated SDS type deal?

13 minutes ago, Markspring1978 said:

If it were me, I would set an anchor, (or use an existing one like a tree) and pull it over with a come-along or winch. You can buy one at Harbor Freight for cheap.  

If you have something to pull against this is probably the simplest and cheapest option. Maybe a little more shoveling and down with it. 

58 minutes ago, CaptainQuintero said:

That was my first thought, I've a hammer drill/rotary but it's an old mains powered one, with a chuck to fit different heads, I'm guessing I'd need a dedicated SDS type deal?

There are all types of bits these days. SDS and XDS are the two I see the most, but there are a few others as well. Worst case scenario, you can lug it to a hardware store and make sure the bit you buy fits. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

Rent a Hammer drill, throw on a chisel tip and start making noise!! You should be able to get through the rebar with a metal blade on a Sawzall, or an angle grinder if you can make room. 

This ^^^

cover your eyes and ears cause it gets loud. And mind that concrete post. Invite friends, serve alcohol and cigars (preferably after). Many hands make light work.

12 minutes ago, CampDelta369 said:

This ^^^

cover your eyes and ears cause it gets loud. And mind that concrete post. Invite friends, serve alcohol and cigars (preferably after). Many hands make light work.

It sounds the most fun! There's not too many opportunities in life nowadays that require you to utterly smash something to pieces :perfect10:

• Like 1

I had a recent experience with a basketball post.  Getting it down was easy enough.  Hooked a tow strap to the top and pulled it down with my truck.  It, and its large bulbous concrete footing toppled like a domino.  That was the start of the problem,  I suffer from a physical endurance version of the Dunning-Kruger effect.  Being 6’1” and 220lb I tend to think I can lift more than I actually can- and it’s led to injuries on more than one occasion.  In this particular case, I didn’t even get the opportunity to hurt myself because the footing was so big there was just no budging it at all.  And there it sat for two weeks until I had time to apply my supreme knowlege of tools, tempered with- excessive frugality, to solving this problem.  Renting tools was out of the option.  Not only was that the less economic path, but returning it would mean two trips to Home Depot.  Since I already had a 5lb hand sledge, all I needed to buy was a pointed cold chisel.  I was surprised at how much bite it would take with a couple of starter swings.  Once it was seated, a couple of “what’s my name” smacks made light work of the footing.  I was quickly able to break it down to 75-100 lb chunks and carried it off to the dump.  Unfortunately, the concrete footing was poured around the internet cable but that’s another DIY problem (easily resolved with marine grade shrink tubing btw).  

My advice would be don’t do what I did.  Rent the proper power tool to make the job easier.  I think there’s a graph out there:  Cheap, quick, or effective. Pick two.

Incidentally, the rebar (reinforcing bar) allows the concrete to flex without shearing.