For Fans Of BBQ - Best BBQ you’ve had?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We don't have many bbq joints in my neck of the woods (although last couple of years there has been a few open up) but this is a brisket i did today on the trusty weber Sent from my SM-G965F using T

Here's some lamb shanks seasoned ras el hanout, salt and preserved lemon.  It was cooked on a WSM without a water pan and cooked at above the smoking range (325 f).  I think it was 3-4 hours?  

@THEMISCHMAN Stiles Switch is a great option in Austin.  They have quality food from open to close (open all day and cook for a dinner service unlike Franklin) and serve the single best dish in the st

@Andy04 Thanks for the link.  My wife bought me their book but I have yet to read it.  As the weather turns here in the US, I’ll get more motivated.  Smoking meat and CCs...does it get any better?  

My first order is now resting in the humi with several orders soon following.  I’d be lying if I said I didn’t smoke one prematurely last night and it was still delightful.  

B864ED45-4B67-46F7-8E36-5619194D41B7.png

@MooseAMuffin Good call on Bryant’s and Smokehouse.  Both delicious.  KC has so many good options and all a little different in their own right. I’ve never tried Slaps so that’s on the to-do list for next couple of weeks. 

I’m going to weigh 400lbs from the BBQ advice and have an empty wallet from all the CC advice on here. 

We work hard to enjoy the little luxuries in life.  A great cigar and meal are some of the experiences I enjoy most.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thirds said:

....we settled for Salt Lick in Driftwood.  That brisket on the diablo...?

The Salt Lick is our family meeting spot.  Big fan!

@BrightonCorgi  I said “settled for Salt Lick” but rather I should have said “rewarded with Salt Lick”. It was absolutely delicious and that sauce was so addictive; took a few bottles to go even. Neither my wife or I wanted to admit that it rivaled (or maybe even surpassed) our beloved Kansas City Q.   We left the final verdict to rest....unspoken words say a lot! 

• Like 1

In my home, 40% of the population is from Brazil.  Portuguese is like the first language in many parts of town.  We have a ton of churrasqueira BBQ places that are by the pound.  We go all the time.  They serve about dozen different cuts and meats.  On the weekend they'll also have feijoada which is a black bean stew with all sorts of pork and beef cuts like tail, and hoof.   Really great stuff and when visitors are from out of town they all want to go to one.

open-flame-grill.jpg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

They serve about dozen different cuts and meats.  On the weekend they'll also have feijoada which is a black bean stew with all sorts of pork and beef cuts like tail, and hoof.   Really great stuff and when visitors are from out of town they all want to go to one.

Sounds awesome.  Do you share the ingredient list with visitors after they consume the stew and have raved about its taste?  Ha!  I bet the flavor is enhanced once you overcome the gag reflex.  I’m better off going in with a blind tasting on the hoof/tail stew! 

12 hours ago, MIKA27 said:

One of the nicest BBQ's I've had (There have been many) but stands out was in Santiago Chile called "Parrilladas Argentina".

Located Avenida Vitacura 2985, Santiago 8320000 Chile

The meat is cooked on small portable table barbeque's in a simple and traditional method over charcoal. Amazing.

I think the venue also added to the overall feel, loads of greenery, trees around the restaurant, great for families, huge selection of wines and beers also.

Related image

I‘m with you, best meat I’ve ever had was in Chile! Down south in Punta Arenas/Patagonia they raise lamb in the wild, no fences, no feeding them, no medicine. They get rounded up once twice a year by all the farmers and looked over, that’s it.

Loads of Restaurants down there offer roasted lamb, grilled over char coal. The whole lamb gets butterflied and grilled, that’s it.

You then get served three courses of meat, shoulder, rib and leg, and no sides necessary! We’ve been there 11 years ago and to this day my wife (she’s Japanese) and I rave about it. No Wagyu or other fancy shmancy meat anywhere in the world ever came close to the Chilenean lamb!

49098A17-2017-4CAC-BECE-17D242F361E3.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Thirds said:

Sounds awesome.  Do you share the ingredient list with visitors after they consume the stew and have raved about its taste?  Ha!  I bet the flavor is enhanced once you overcome the gag reflex.  I’m better off going in with a blind tasting on the hoof/tail stew! 

It's pretty clear what some of the cuts are.  There is also brisket, slab bacon and linquica in the Feijoada.  They actually sell Feijoada kits with the meats already cut at the supermarket.  The sides at the Brazilian BBQ's blows away American BBQ sides.  Couve à mineira is a garlicky collard green where the green are sliced paper thin and sauteed with garlic, oil, and hot pepper flakes and then salted at the end.  Beats southern collard greens by a country mile. 

• Like 1

Living in KC for going on 20 yrs I've had some great bbq here. Of course my favorite is in my backyard off of my ABS All Star . Joe's KC has great sandwiches and fries. Jack Stack very good has thin sliced brisket. My favorite is The Woodyard. Great spare ribs, smoked shaved ham, sausage and their brisket chilli is awesome. My wife loves their pulled pork. Fries and potato salad are a must for me too.

A few pics from my backyard. 5d0d9c8c6811c52d0ad2a9b6e93b86f8.jpge7e9789d507eeb34b00ccb16f477072f.jpg4a179e1ee1f73ab969fdc2aa9f77aee1.jpg55c4cb44fdc3eefcb122d2817d200830.jpg087318919ea6c862e68535a509f5cee1.jpg7ba543755b61c56d58d695679752b7ea.jpge24b55acbe7a52a4ee133dbea2f6f95b.jpg8123b768b045b0d453880d002927ba98.jpgf956b3197ebb1979402996c46536260a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lomey said:

Living in KC for going on 20 yrs I've had some great bbq here. Of course my favorite is in my backyard off of my ABS All Star emoji6.png. J

When's the party?

49 minutes ago, Lomey said:

A few pics from my backyard.

I’m a big fan of Woodyard myself...just don’t get over to Merriam as often as I’d like.  With the pictures you posted, I’m not sure I’d ever eat anywhere else if I could smoke like that!  The smoke ring on every piece of meat was incredible.  ????????

You’re a pro.  I’d post a pic of my brisket but it more resembles a leather shoe (and often tastes worse) 

• Like 1

Li’l Miss BBQ in Arizona is Central Texas style and as good as any out there. My BBQ brothers from NC, TX and all over the country who have visited and gone begrudgingly admit its “on par” with their favorite joints back home. If you’re ever in Phoenix make the trip. The line forms an hour or more before opening on the weekend. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1. Ugly Dog Saloon - New Orleans

2. Only ate here twice, back in 2002 (first trip to the states). It was a BBQ lunch special... I think. In any case, New Orleans was where our flight went in and out of for this leg of the trip (we drove from there to Texas and back), we ate there on the first day after visiting the WW2 museum... heaven! My brother got pulled over for speeding on the way back from Texas as we were trying to get another meal there before they closed and we had to fly out... ha ha...

I'm no connoisseur but still ranks as the best BBQ I've ever had. Up there with one of the best meals I've ever had. Food orgasm stuff. 

I hope it's still there today and serving the same quality grub. 

• Thanks 1

Full disclaimer: I have never been to Texas or Kansas City.

Best ribs were had at The BBQ Stop in Memphis, Tennessee.

Best brisket was made by my buddy in someone's backyard.

• Thanks 1

What? A barbecue thread and no one's been banned yet? I thought Americans took their barbecue seriously....

The best barbecue I've had in a long while was actually in Colorado of all places: Wayne's Smoke Shack in Superior, CO.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Thirds said:

@SenorPerfecto @OldEasy

Two votes for Bludso’s...now I feel I’m missing out.  One of the best trips of my life was a coastal road trip from San Diego all the way up to Vancouver (I regret not starting in Tijuana).  And now I regret not seeking out Cali BBQ.  I did hit Roscoe’s chicken and waffles in Hollywood, though. Ha.  And the only star I sought out was Jack LaLanne’s (juicing king of America).  

Sounds like a pretty epic road trip! Roscoes is bomb. Weirdly enough though, about the best fried chicken I’ve ever had was the Jidori with fried okra and yam preserves at a hipster burger joint, Plan-Check (the location on Sawtelle) before they changed the menu and got terrible.

Five years ago I was passing through Austin and was craving some BBQ.  However, once I saw the line at Franklin’s BBQ and the multi-hour wait, I kept driving.  Less than a mile away I found Micklethwait Craft Meats with literally no line.  Minutes later I was sitting down to the best beef rib I’ve ever had!

B8BE0F13-C8D7-4691-AE4F-37BC0BE2AAD3.jpeg

• Like 4

No crazy presentations, no sugary sauce sloping on my bbq, just a nice dry rub, and smoked to perfection. Best in California would be Trail Dust in Morgan Hill,Ca. Worth the hour drive from the bay just to eat this??

• Thanks 1

What? A barbecue thread and no one's been banned yet? I thought Americans took their barbecue seriously....
The best barbecue I've had in a long while was actually in Colorado of all places: Wayne's Smoke Shack in Superior, CO.
What's the point in arguing? We all know Kansas City is the BBQ Capital of the World!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1