For Fans Of BBQ - Best BBQ you’ve had?

1 hour ago, DaBoot said:

No crazy presentations, no sugary sauce sloping on my bbq, just a nice dry rub, and smoked to perfection. Best in California would be Trail Dust in Morgan Hill,Ca. Worth the hour drive from the bay just to eat this??

I’ve been meaning to go to Trail Dust, since it’s close to me. I guess I assumed it would be Santa Maria Style though.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We don't have many bbq joints in my neck of the woods (although last couple of years there has been a few open up) but this is a brisket i did today on the trusty weber Sent from my SM-G965F using T

Here's some lamb shanks seasoned ras el hanout, salt and preserved lemon.  It was cooked on a WSM without a water pan and cooked at above the smoking range (325 f).  I think it was 3-4 hours?  

@THEMISCHMAN Stiles Switch is a great option in Austin.  They have quality food from open to close (open all day and cook for a dinner service unlike Franklin) and serve the single best dish in the st

Used to be a guy with a trailer stand off the side of a gas station up Peachtree Industrial Road on the way to Lake Lanier in North Georgia.

If you were fortunate enough to be going by on a day he was there and hadn't already run out you'd get some of the best pulled pork you'll find anywhere.  

• Thanks 1

Best ribs Corky’s BBQ in Memphis byob get your booze next door and drink out of a paper bag. Straight ??

Bbq in general St. Louis and Kansas City. Hard to beat the vast quantity of quality in these spots. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2019 at 12:45 AM, Fuzz said:

Now, now. We don't condemn that...

Who would ever do such a thing?

10 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

Used to be a guy with a trailer stand off the side of a gas station up Peachtree Industrial Road on the way to Lake Lanier in North Georgia.

If you were fortunate enough to be going by on a day he was there and hadn't already run out you'd get some of the best pulled pork you'll find anywhere.  

Mike, was it called “Three Little Pigs”? We were on tour back in the late 80’s and smelled BBQ from the highway in North Georgia and exited. We followed the smell to this shack by a filling station called Three Little Pigs and it was good! And a plus, there was bus parking.

AB9F7E0E-0352-4BE0-9EE6-DFD1DE3539D6.jpeg

My current favorite is Big Bob Gibson in Decatur AL. Once a year, I take a group of 30 or so students to Huntsville for a week of astronaut training just to be able to visit Big Bob. The meat is perfectly done with a nice dry rub. The sides excellent and the pie is sublime...

304A83B6-C03F-48E7-AD6E-6CEBE21E1DA1.thumb.jpeg.f9c636a480ba3cd772f8d488a0357887.jpeg

F22EFA45-A5D5-49BD-B6C8-A7E95D31E970.thumb.jpeg.47251a280309161992effa670a09ccc1.jpeg

31A4CF3B-FE47-4CF6-9A1A-1BF2CFCF897E.thumb.jpeg.01a076cf86e74fae24718404ecdda2d2.jpeg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, bpm32 said:

What? A barbecue thread and no one's been banned yet? I thought Americans took their barbecue seriously....

The best barbecue I've had in a long while was actually in Colorado of all places: Wayne's Smoke Shack in Superior, CO.

X2 on Wayne’s Smoke Shack. I attend lunch every week with a few people I used to work with. This is one of our favorite spots!

• Like 1

My favorite BBQ of all time was Rudy's "Country Store" and Bar-b-q in Albuquerque.   The Green Chile Stew was awesome.  

I will say that if you want amazing BBQ when you are in Iowa City goto Jimmy Jack's Rib Shack.   I have a friend that lives near Iowa CIty that used to live in Iowa city that turned me onto the place.   The first time I went there I was visiting my friend and he kept mentioning before I left we have to goto Jimmy Jacks.   At first I was like that's a weird nickname for Jimmy John's LOL.  I always get the brisket sandwich with beans and fries.   They have some of the best corn bread also.

Franklin's BBQ is one of the best I've had, but for the wait I'd rather have Black's BBQ. 

In Houston, you can't go wrong with Pinkerton's BBQ. Glazed Ribs, brisket and mustard based pulled pork are phenomenal. Add some Duck Jambalaya and you won't regret it. 

Picture of Franklin's:

Screenshot_2016-08-05-13-09-21.thumb.png.2cda86076c313b4f033261c2df39885b.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Thirds said:

@Drguano what is the pile of green on the plate?  Is that cole slaw?  Looks hearty!

The look of satisfaction on your face holding that pie is awesome. That’s how I look holding a pie. ??

It was coleslaw with a vinegar base.

This year I went for baked beans and fries with the half rack of ribs. And I got a blonde with the Coconut Cream pie.

BBQ2019_1.thumb.jpg.d7d9829cc67f3e5b3d0c0f639cb0eef2.jpg

BBQ2019_2.thumb.jpg.44a024917e5fc7c6fa9b1bad37739325.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Drguano said:

This year I went for baked beans and fries with the half rack of ribs. And I got a blonde with the Coconut Cream pie.

BBQ2019_2.thumb.jpg.44a024917e5fc7c6fa9b1bad37739325.jpg

That’s one heck of a lunch special!  ?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Drguano said:

Mike, was it called “Three Little Pigs”? We were on tour back in the late 80’s and smelled BBQ from the highway in North Georgia and exited. We followed the smell to this shack by a filling station called Three Little Pigs and it was good! And a plus, there was bus parking.

AB9F7E0E-0352-4BE0-9EE6-DFD1DE3539D6.jpeg

Don't think that's the same place. Your band? Jumbo Shrimp!

17 hours ago, bpm32 said:

I’ve been meaning to go to Trail Dust, since it’s close to me. I guess I assumed it would be Santa Maria Style though.

It’s life changing, only place I say does it better than me

1 hour ago, Habana Mike said:

Don't think that's the same place. Your band? Jumbo Shrimp!

Jumbo Shrimp was the destination. The group was “The Flying Karamazov Brothers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Either Ferris Wheeler's BBQ in Dallas, TX or Hard Eight BBQ in Roanoke, TX. 

Have you tried any places in the Austin/Georgetown area?

Texas BBQ is my passion.  I have traveled the state and tried all the Texas Monthly Top 50 joints in pursuit of smoked carnivorous perfection.  

I agree with @CooGAR that Snow's in Lexington, TX is among the absolute best.  The atmosphere, the building, the food and especially Tootsie the 84 year old pitmaster are all legendary.  Tootsie's pork steak is in my opinion the single best bite in the state.  Coogar you really need to make it to one of our local herfs, I always bring que from the better joints in Houston.  So far we have had Roegels, Pinkerton's, Truth, and Corkscrew.  There is always good food and better company.  

IMG_20180126_102739_148.jpg

EDSC_0216.jpg

IMG_20171030_125116_432.jpg

DSC_9054E.jpg

• Like 3

@cmbarton  Micklethwait is another great option in Austin.  You should check out their new location in Smithville when you get the chance.    

In my opinion the best BBQ in Texas is a tie between Truth BBQ (Brenham & Houston) and 2M Smokehouse (San Antonio).  Both are amazingly consistent with all their proteins and the sides carry their weight as well.  Truth is a little closer to traditional Central Texas style while 2M brings a TexMex twist to the staples.  2M's Oaxaca cheese and serrano sausage may well be the best in the state.  

@mdinius Pinkerton's is amazing.  I consider myself fortunate to be able to call the owner Grant a friend.  On Friday he won Grand Champion in beef at Memphis in May.  An amazing accomplishment competing against some of the best in the world.   

DSC_1254_5_6_7_8_fused.jpg

DSC_2252_3_4_5_6_tonemapped.jpg

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Thirds said:

@SignalJoe that bottom picture is barbecue perfection right there.  Makes me want to schedule a trip to Lexington just for that exact plate.  Impressive. 

Schedule it for next Saturday (they are *only* open on Saturdays) and I will join you with some good bourbon and some nice cigars.  Gratuitous picture of the amazing ribs at Snow's.   

IMG_20170513_145517_968.jpg

• Like 1

@SignalJoe  can’t next Saturday but I’m going to take you up on this in the near future. May/June are crazy busy. 

I’ll return the favor in KC! 

Thanks for the invitation to have lunch and a cigar.   In Nashville through tomorrow and then back to the office for a grinding week ahead.  

7 minutes ago, Thirds said:

@SignalJoe  can’t next Saturday but I’m going to take you up on this in the near future. May/June are crazy busy. 

I’ll return the favor in KC! 

Thanks for the invitation to have lunch and a cigar.   In Nashville through tomorrow and then back to the office for a grinding week ahead.  

You name the weekend and I'll meet you there!

1 hour ago, SignalJoe said:

@cmbarton  Micklethwait is another great option in Austin.  You should check out their new location in Smithville when you get the chance.    

In my opinion the best BBQ in Texas is a tie between Truth BBQ (Brenham & Houston) and 2M Smokehouse (San Antonio).  Both are amazingly consistent with all their proteins and the sides carry their weight as well.  Truth is a little closer to traditional Central Texas style while 2M brings a TexMex twist to the staples.  2M's Oaxaca cheese and serrano sausage may well be the best in the state.  

@mdinius Pinkerton's is amazing.  I consider myself fortunate to be able to call the owner Grant a friend.  On Friday he won Grand Champion in beef at Memphis in May.  An amazing accomplishment competing against some of the best in the world.   

DSC_1254_5_6_7_8_fused.jpg

DSC_2252_3_4_5_6_tonemapped.jpg

I was in Austin a couple years ago and I definitely kissed the Franklin ring but I was most impressed with Micklethwait and La Barbecue.  Hard to talk about “bests” when so many bites I had were remarkable but I can say that those places were spectacular. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1