Purchasing strategy? I'm not a hoarder--I promise!!

Curious to see how many of you are as OCD/anal-retentive as I am. Is there any rhyme or reason to buying cigars for you versus smoking them, to build up a stock to age or is aging? Since I've only been around Cuban cigars for 3 or so years, I am still trying new cigars, but 99% of the time, I'll buy a box, try 1 (maybe two if I remember) and then put 'em away and forget about them. The cigars that really wow me, I will buy several boxes because I want to see how they are, and also because I will be smoking through them.

I know a lot of you have enormous stockpiles that I will only dream of, but it inspires me! Keep it going because who knows the future of Cuban cigars and where we will be in 5 or 10 years time?

Whenever I see that the quality or the price is particularly good on a box I know I like, I try to buy two. I go through a 25 count box of 'main rotation' cigars in about 2-3 years and I've found I like my cuban cigar best with 3-5 years of age, so the second box is sure to be in the sweet spot. From there, its just buy a new box when the other one runs out.

6 minutes ago, Notsocleaver said:

Whenever I see that the quality or the price is particularly good on a box I know I like, I try to buy two. I go through a 25 count box of 'main rotation' cigars in about 2-3 years and I've found I like my cuban cigar best with 3-5 years of age, so the second box is sure to be in the sweet spot. From there, its just buy a new box when the other one runs out.

Does that mean you are smoking about one cigar every 4-6 weeks on average?

3 hours ago, Derboesekoenig said:

Curious to see how many of you are as OCD/anal-retentive as I am. Is there any rhyme or reason to buying cigars for you versus smoking them, to build up a stock to age or is aging? Since I've only been around Cuban cigars for 3 or so years, I am still trying new cigars, but 99% of the time, I'll buy a box, try 1 (maybe two if I remember) and then put 'em away and forget about them. The cigars that really wow me, I will buy several boxes because I want to see how they are, and also because I will be smoking through them.

I know a lot of you have enormous stockpiles that I will only dream of, but it inspires me! Keep it going because who knows the future of Cuban cigars and where we will be in 5 or 10 years time?

What are some of the ones that have "wowed" you the most?  I am not even at the year mark, so very new. I recently tried a Siglo III and to me that was very unique and very enjoyable.

9 minutes ago, HopeUgood said:

What are some of the ones that have "wowed" you the most?  I am not even at the year mark, so very new. I recently tried a Siglo III and to me that was very unique and very enjoyable.

I attempted to count how many different cigars (Cuban only) I've tried so far, and it's somewhere between 80 and 100. Most of the time I smoke only 1 per day, but have done 3 per day quite a bit, and 2 per day is very common. Sometimes I'll go without one for a few days. But that doesn't happen often.

Also, 95% of the cigars that wowed me have been regular production. LGC Md4, Part. Lusi, E2, aged SD4, BBF, BCG, Monte Esps. The only "special" cigars that I recall that were really great to me were the LGC Platinos (Paises Bajos ER) and maybe a few discontinued sticks. Other than that, regular production is where I buy

• Like 1

I stock up on cigars I get bored with years later or I move on to a new vitola that I more fond of.  The old cigars end up funding the new cigars.  

• Like 3

I feel the same. The cigars that have really wowed me every time were regular production. As of late, Upmann Magnum 50 that makes me go DAMN every time. But they also have a couple years of age at least. 

K.I.S.S.

Buy what you like and buy more of it than you currently smoke through. 

The "Trying new cigars" thing is tough, because no two cigars are the same, no two boxes or factory codes are the same. I would recommend smoking through at least a dozen of one cigar, from a few factories and dates codes before you decide weather you do or don't like a cigar. I know that's a tall order, but buying singles or 3 packs and trading with others on the forum make it possible. 

• Like 1

I’m no hoarder, but I spent the first 1 1/2 year collecting LE/RE’s mainly for storage and later funding of regulars. I’ve built up quite a collection. Now I’m spending 95% on regulars. Those are the ones I smoke + the occasional LE/RE - but only the wow ones?

I’m in the same boat as a few of you. I look at my collection now and it’s nowhere as impressive as others. Still, I have a lot. So much so that I’m 31 and it makes me wonder if I could ever get through my current collection. 

Hoarder / smoker here.  My approach has always been to buy what I can, when I can.  Until I can't.   I bought online, Cuba, locally, abroad, etc.  I hunted down stuff I wanted to go deep on and stuff I've never even tried one of.   I've built up a stock to last me decades at my current smoke rate. (Unless I start doing 3-5 day. then it will be several years).  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HopeUgood said:

Does that mean you are smoking about one cigar every 4-6 weeks on average?

One cigar from that particular box, yes. But the 'main rotation' is 8 or so different cigars. Add the special occasion cigars and the change of pace cigars and I smoke about 4 a week.

I am just looking for good cigars to smoke. I buy the best possibilities based on my experience/wisdom. Value means I get to smoke more cigars, more often. Expensive cigars have never proved any real smoking value to me. They just largely waste smoking dollars.

I no longer buy a lot of cigars. My cigars will likely survive me. I buy to keep a hand in, keep me attached to newer cigars.

Cheers, Piggy

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Notsocleaver said:

One cigar from that particular box, yes. But the 'main rotation' is 8 or so different cigars. Add the special occasion cigars and the change of pace cigars and I smoke about 4 a week.

Right on, that is about my pace as well. About 4 cigars a week.  

I don't hoard. It has been a gradual journey for me, which I have enjoyed every step of the way, with no need/desire to hurry accumulating. 

Now into my 4th year of CCs, I enjoyed cheap and cheerfuls the first 2 years.  Bought 2 boxes at a time, of 2 different marcas, shared with a buddy/buddies.  Every 2-3 months, tried 2 new cigars.  Gradually started buying the minuto/mareva/petit corona sizes the 2nd year (RASCC, Partagas Shorts, etc.), still buying together with a buddy/buddies.  Last year, I decided to begin exploring Corona and Robusto sizes, buying handfuls of each.  Now in my 4th year, I'm still exploring Robustos and larger, buying 6ers on FOH, or sometimes handfuls of singles from other vendors.  I have 250 give/take cigars now in two small tupperdors, and haven't even tried all the vitolas I have now.  And I will keep my quantity of cigars at around this level. 

Why hurry, why stockpile?  I don't see the need. I can always buy if the whim strikes.  That's how I approach this.  I'm not collecting, I'm enjoying.  ?

• Like 2

I am a consumer, consuming a good that is in a consumer industry. I buy what I think is good. I do not care about the price point, the vitola, or wrapper - as long as I like it.

In my time, I hear from people that they are "value oriented," and thus mock those willing to spend $100+ on a cigar. The same people have very nice houses, boats, cars, or bought their wives diamond rings. I generally just nod my head and tell them they are very rational and astute.

• Like 2

The hoarding is a funny thing.  If I buy a box I get to try it a couple times a year as it ages for 5+ years.  I dont have the palette to know what is trash and always will be and what has potential so even dudders leave me with hope.  I have been blowing through my bolivar stash so theres no way it will age.  Just recently bought a couple boxes of BPC since I plan to not touch them until they have some age.  Cant afford or trust buying aged stock so I'm hoping to make my own.

Not sure if partial boxes will be an option on the auctions ever.  I find it hard to keep a box untouched as I typically split, share or slowly chip away.  I'd he very interested is some aged stock but dont necessarily need a full cab as I'm hoping to make my own.  Love to see 5, 10, or partial boxes on there.  Also potentially love to sell some of my own.

I'm just beginning...I only started buying boxes of cubans last year, however I made the GRAVE mistake of setting timers on my phone for 24:24, and I've bought 11 boxes so far this year. My problem is I smoke about 5 cigars a week and went exclusively cuban without having a deep enough collection. Now I'm slowing down on my cuban consumption and letting some of the really nice NC's I have keep me entertained within the meantime. I do keep it to cheaper, $5-8 smokes and that has helped allow me to splurge. 

Hoarder......or..........collector.......?  I’ll go with collector, though I am cognizant that it is an extremely thin line for me.  I have far too many cigars and marketing works better on me than perhaps on most.  Call it limited, tell me that it’s the best of its kind or that the quality is so good it’s unlikely to be repeated for a generation.....I’m hook line and sinker.  I love collecting and cigars, scotch and wine use very similar marketing tactics, all devastatingly effective on me.  This paired with my genuine fear of running out, wether it be a particularly good vintage of cabernet, a bottle of single cask scotch or a box of Por Llaranaga robustos, if I buy one, I don’t want to finish it and regret not having more!  The solution for me is to buy more than one....which leads to storage issues.......which is a conversation for a different thread.

If I find a cigar I like, i go deep, if it’s something I’m afraid I’ll miss out on I’ll go deeper!  I try to buy high quality boxes of well reviewed (on FOH) cigars by the two’s with cigars that I know and love in larger quantities at bi annual intervals so that I can smoke 5 year old versions of my favorites while the youth works its way out of the newer boxes. 

Thanks for the psychotherapy in advance!

7 hours ago, MigsG said:

I don't hoard. It has been a gradual journey for me, which I have enjoyed every step of the way, with no need/desire to hurry accumulating. 

Now into my 4th year of CCs, I enjoyed cheap and cheerfuls the first 2 years.  Bought 2 boxes at a time, of 2 different marcas, shared with a buddy/buddies.  Every 2-3 months, tried 2 new cigars.  Gradually started buying the minuto/mareva/petit corona sizes the 2nd year (RASCC, Partagas Shorts, etc.), still buying together with a buddy/buddies.  Last year, I decided to begin exploring Corona and Robusto sizes, buying handfuls of each.  Now in my 4th year, I'm still exploring Robustos and larger, buying 6ers on FOH, or sometimes handfuls of singles from other vendors.  I have 250 give/take cigars now in two small tupperdors, and haven't even tried all the vitolas I have now.  And I will keep my quantity of cigars at around this level. 

Why hurry, why stockpile?  I don't see the need. I can always buy if the whim strikes.  That's how I approach this.  I'm not collecting, I'm enjoying.  ?

Because buying aged cigars gets expensive. Would rather age them myself and smoke them along the way to see their progression. I guess everyone is going to have a different perspective on this, and I'm sure many of you make quite a lot of money and can afford whichever cigars you please without blinking twice. I'm not at that level yet! One day

• Like 2

I hear you, and most certainly if I was one of those making quite a lot of money I'd be buying boxes (not 6ers) and aging them!  ?

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 2:38 AM, Islandboy said:

I'm also about 3 years in as far as CC's go, and I hear you on the uncertainties surrounding acquisition of the forbidden fruit. This, and the quest to reach a point where aging my stock comes naturally is driving me to hoard as much as my budget allows. I'm just happy that I filtered through the muck fairly quickly to find this community of fine folks. 

Thanks for saving my keystrokes ,,,, :"same here" LOL

• Like 1

I buy to smoke and have been doing do for a long enough time that I can easily put a box away for 3 to 5 years and not even look at it. The admonition that one should sample very young has merit but I know, for example, that a MC#2 probably isn't going to wow me at 6 months. I've smoked enough cigars to know I'd rather save that stick than have the info smoking it young gives me. When  a box gets to the place where I think it'll be worth sampling, I do it. When it's on, I smoke the cigars. I' have 4 or 6 such boxes going at a time and that constitutes my rotation.

• Like 2