REAL short smoke?


Recommended Posts

So while in Cuba I have seen many different "smokes" by a few cigar makers that look similar in size to a cigarette. I am not, nor will ever be a cig. smoker, don't like the taste.  Do any of these have any similarity in taste at all to a cigar? While sledding on the weekend, we stop every once in awhile for a break , and some guys have a smoke. I thought this weekend, hey would be nice to have a 15 min smoke….is that even possible? So nice out on the trails, would be a great place to have a quick puff.

20190112_102518.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the Cohiba/Upmann cigarettes, had a few over the years and find them awful.

A few suggestions that I enjoyed in that situation:

  • CoSho
  • Partagas Chicos (can get them for low price in Ontario not too far from where you are)
  • Any of the Minis
  • ERDM Demi-Tasse (maybe a bit more than 15 mins)  
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cohiba Short (and now event Trinidad Short).  They last me a bit longer than 15 min but not by much.  Perfect for what you’re looking for.  You can keep a pack in your jacket pocket if you want.  I’m certain I’ve smoked more of these than any other cigar this year.  Thanks again to [mention=7384]Lotusguy[/mention] for the original recommendation.  

 

I’ve smoked well over 400 CoSho since release. It’s a great little Cuban hit when you don’t have much time or as a “closer” to a smoking evening.

 

I also tried the TriSho several times now but didn’t care for it as much. I was surprised by that - didn’t actually think that they would vary the blend.

 

Edit: I don’t get near as much enjoyment out of any of the puritos or Chicos and none of even the smallest “real” cigars last me less than 20 minutes.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For a REALLY short smoke... i chop a cosho or a chico in half. 

Another point though. American cigarettes are not made of tobacco. They are literally paper. It’s legally classified as ‘reconstituted sheet tobacco’. There is zero tobacco leaf in an american cigarette. Period. Cuban cigarettes are a whole different ball game. They’re made out of the same tobacco that goes into cigars - just the lower grade stuff. Scraps from hand-rolled long-filler are used in hand-rolled/short-filler. Then on to machine-rolled/short-filler cigarillos (puritos like the coshos and chicos). Then minis. Then cigarettes. 

Try the cohiba or h upmann cigarettes. They’re really not at all like american cigarettes. I assure you you will be surprised. PM me and I’ll tell you more. Don’t want to violate the rules on discussing sources. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, cfc1016 said:

For a REALLY short smoke... i chop a cosho or a chico in half. 

Another point though. American cigarettes are not made of tobacco. They are literally paper. It’s legally classified as ‘reconstituted sheet tobacco’. There is zero tobacco leaf in an american cigarette. Period. Cuban cigarettes are a whole different ball game. They’re made out of the same tobacco that goes into cigars - just the lower grade stuff. Scraps from hand-rolled long-filler are used in hand-rolled/short-filler. Then on to machine-rolled/short-filler cigarillos (puritos like the coshos and chicos). Then minis. Then cigarettes. 

Try the cohiba or h upmann cigarettes. They’re really not at all like american cigarettes. I assure you you will be surprised. PM me and I’ll tell you more. Don’t want to violate the rules on discussing sources. 

Cuban cigarettes are incredibly strong. I smoked cigarettes in my 20s and bought some while island hopping on a school break. I could not inhale them. Felt like it was painfully killing me. Filterless Camels were like Marlboro Ultralights in comparison. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MD Puffer said:

Cuban cigarettes are incredibly strong. I smoked cigarettes in my 20s and bought some while island hopping on a school break. I could not inhale them. Felt like it was painfully killing me. Filterless Camels were like Marlboro Ultralights in comparison. 

Don't inhale?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MD Puffer said:

I don’t mean little machine made cigarillos but cigarettes- unless Cuban cigarettes aren’t intended to be inhale. Anyone know?

I just meant that if you don't like inhaling them... don't. There's no rule that just because it's packaged a certain way, you have to inhale it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At the time, I was trying cigarettes from all over (my favorites were British Dunhills in blue boxes- very smooth). I hear what you’re saying. Since they’re cigarettes one would infer the intended purpose is to inhale. I could see someone enjoying them by smoking them more Like a cigar. At that time in my life, I smoked 90% cigarettes and 10% cigars (oddly enough I didn’t retrohale back then). But if you’re going to smoke cuban cigarettes as most cigarettes are intended then you best have iron lungs!  That being said, my understanding is that there is a very small percentage  of cigar smokers who inhale. Very harsh, but they do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So while in Cuba I have seen many different "smokes" by a few cigar makers that look similar in size to a cigarette. I am not, nor will ever be a cig. smoker, don't like the taste.  Do any of these have any similarity in taste at all to a cigar? While sledding on the weekend, we stop every once in awhile for a break , and some guys have a smoke. I thought this weekend, hey would be nice to have a 15 min smoke….is that even possible? So nice out on the trails, would be a great place to have a quick puff.
20190112_102518.thumb.jpg.a6bb2ef7435ed27b1db925309f6eb48e.jpg

Nice sled!

What I do in those situations is I bring along a suitably sized cigar tube. I smoke the cigar I like, and then cut the hot end off. I then put the remaining half into the cigar tube and smoke the rest later.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If that works for you, great. I wouldn’t be able to do that. After a cigar sits for about 30 minutes or so it’s just too harsh for me. 

My short go to guy is the Upmann half corona. Did I hear they were being discontinued?

2 hours ago, Philc2001 said:


Nice sled!

What I do in those situations is I bring along a suitably sized cigar tube. I smoke the cigar I like, and then cut the hot end off. I then put the remaining half into the cigar tube and smoke the rest later.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Shelby07 said:

If that works for you, great. I wouldn’t be able to do that. After a cigar sits for about 30 minutes or so it’s just too harsh for me. 

My short go to guy is the Upmann half corona. Did I hear they were being discontinued?

 

No, the HUPC was discontinued. HUHC is current.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, BellevilleMXZ said:

we stop every once in awhile for a break , and some guys have a smoke. I thought this weekend, hey would be nice to have a 15 min smoke….is that even possible

You should casually just pull out a pack of these, and spark up.  I bet your cigarettes will smell better than theirs. 

In all seriousness, CoSho, TrinSho, and EDRM Demi Tasse.  Romeo Royales is a lovely smoke too

 

146226210.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, 99call said:

You should casually just pull out a pack of these, and spark up.  I bet your cigarettes will smell better than theirs. 

In all seriousness, CoSho, TrinSho, and EDRM Demi Tasse.  Romeo Royales is a lovely smoke too

 

146226210.jpg

Were those made abroad with Cuban tobacco or made in Cuba?  

Very classy looking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MD Puffer said:

Were those made abroad with Cuban tobacco or made in Cuba?  

Very classy looking.

I have no Idea. Maybe Trevor would know more.  With Upmann and Partagas both making cigarettes on the island at that time, they would have no reason to make elsewhere. They may of just been packaged up in Europe?.  I'm sure I heard that Zino was actually far more preferable to cigarettes than cigars, so maybe he took a personal interest?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.