cheese


Recommended Posts

good cheese is one of life's great pleasures. if i ate all i wanted, i'd be three times the size i am - horrifying thought. 

my latest favourite is portuguese - Serra (this is something i did on it - https://quillandpad.com/2018/10/31/serra-de-estrela-cheese-rich-ripe-and-full-of-intense-tangy-flavors/) but Comte, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Roquefort (lots of blues). so many. 

other faves?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Love all kinds. Taleggio, the old caramel-like goudas, Alpine styles etc. I was recently in a French shop in Martinique and basically blindly picked a bunch of cheese because there was so much variety including a 36 month Comte which is much older than the Comte we get in America. Loved all of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If possible find an English Red Fox Leicester.  Wonderful aged citrusy cheese with these fantastic crunchy crystals from the aging process.  Extremely rich and just and bring a smile to any cheese lovers face!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

Thinly sliced velveeta on a Ritz cracker and some Tang to cleanse the palate...

Pure heaven ?

Just go for the slices or Kraft singles. Tang's a little low brow for my palate - a nice lukewarm Fresca for me.... :unsure:

That aside, though not eaten daily, I'm another fan of many varieties / moisture contents. But, the one I most often have on hand is the ubiquitous muenster...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We went to the town of Gouda in the Netherlands this past summer and picked up quite a few infused gouda cheeses. A few different pepper ones, beer ones and plain gouda. They had weed cheese, but I didn't know what US customs would think of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

good cheese is one of life's great pleasures. if i ate all i wanted, i'd be three times the size i am - horrifying thought. 

my latest favourite is portuguese - Serra (this is something i did on it - https://quillandpad.com/2018/10/31/serra-de-estrela-cheese-rich-ripe-and-full-of-intense-tangy-flavors/) but Comte, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Roquefort (lots of blues). so many. 

other faves?

You're big on the Serra?  I don't mind it, but not crazy for like some.  I can buy it locally.  I think about $35 for the wheel.  I like to slice it straight across and then tie with the cheese cloth to keep it from spilling out. 

I can't say I have any one particular favorite.  I am big on cheese fondue though. Most truffle cheese I really dig.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

You're big on the Serra?  I don't mind it, but not crazy for like some.  I can buy it locally.  I think about $35 for the wheel.  I like to slice it straight across and then tie with the cheese cloth to keep it from spilling out. 

I can't say I have any one particular favorite.  I am big on cheese fondue though. Most truffle cheese I really dig.

the really fresh stuff i absolutely loved. when it is really gooey. where one just cuts a little hole in the top and spoons it out. seems that after a month or so, it starts to go firmer. still very much enjoyed those although not so much. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

the really fresh stuff i absolutely loved. when it is really gooey. where one just cuts a little hole in the top and spoons it out. seems that after a month or so, it starts to go firmer. still very much enjoyed those although not so much. 

Spooning it out is great, but it's just my wife and I.  No way we could kill that in one night.  Serra is great for a group dinner.  Serra is only found at few stores as a regular super market or even a Whole Foods would never carry it.  The demographic is too narrow.  My town has a dense Brazilian population, so the local Brazilian supermarket carries it.  In SE Mass, there is a dense Portuguese population, so some stores carry it in that part of the state too.  Go into Boston  and you won't find it anywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  I've gotten heavily into cheeses as part of my lunches recently, a hunk of fresh bread, some grapes an apple and a nice big cut of cheese.

Loving some of the Welsh offerings recently; cave aged cheddars etc. Really enjoying Black Bomber at the moment. Wensleydales are a great change of pace for me. Pretty much every village or town in the UK having their own traditional cheese is great for never having to have the same cheese twice.

 I do sometimes just like something simple though, a basic Port Salut or brie etc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

-Comte,

-Smoked Scamorza Mozzerella,

-Raclette,

-Beaufort,

-Shropshire red,

-Wensleydale paired with Christmas cake.

-Brie De Meaux,

-Pecorio, 

-Crotin baked with honey

what I do NOT like is the Italian 'Casu Marzu', a cheese infested with maggots, whereby you have to tap the surface with bread, so the maggots scurry from your 'area of interest', them you scoop up the soft rotten mass..........then enjoy!!. .............no thanks!!!!!

 

 

casu-marzu-formaggio-marcio (1).jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Spooning it out is great, but it's just my wife and I.  No way we could kill that in one night.  Serra is great for a group dinner.  Serra is only found at few stores as a regular super market or even a Whole Foods would never carry it.  The demographic is too narrow.  My town has a dense Brazilian population, so the local Brazilian supermarket carries it.  In SE Mass, there is a dense Portuguese population, so some stores carry it in that part of the state too.  Go into Boston  and you won't find it anywhere.

i'd never seen it outside portugal. if it makes australia, it would be in tiny quantities at best. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

i'd never seen it outside portugal. if it makes australia, it would be in tiny quantities at best. 

In MA, there are more people from the Azores than there are in the Azores.  I would not expect to see Serra cheese anywhere outside the Portuguese and Brazilian enclaves within our state.  Nowhere else in the US

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll first qualify by saying I'm anything but a cheese expert. I'm about as educated on the matter as a kindergartner talking about quantum physics.

That said, I do have some faves, which I was exposed to by someone FAR more knowledgeable. I used to go to my local high end deli back in northern virginia for foie gras when I was attending family get togethers. I started doing the charcuterie boards for these gatherings after a while. Made friends with one of the guys who worked there, who came to know my tastes and make really good recommendations to me. My favorites (all thanks to the expert recommendations of Badr, at Arrowine in Arlington, VA) were:

Moliterno pecorino con tartufo nero

Cabri charme

30 month gouda

I've still yet to taste many things - food, drink, smoke, ANYTHING - that are as mindblowingly good as that black truffle pecorino.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, 99call said:

 

what I do NOT like is the Italian 'Casu Marzu', a cheese infested with maggots, whereby you have to tap the surface with bread, so the maggots scurry from your 'area of interest', them you scoop up the soft rotten mass..........then enjoy!!. .............no thanks!!!!!

 

Well, if you haven’t tasted it, I see no reason to hammer it ?

The Casu is deliberately opened to allow a cheese fly to lay eggs under the outer lid which is then closed. The eggs hatch into maggots. The maggots literally eat and shit only cheese, so the cheese is processed. The cheese is not rotten, and you don’t care if you eat the maggots - they’re made of cheese ?

You can not buy the Casu outside of Sardinia, - the EU prohibits sale.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Hookmaker said:

Well, if you haven’t tasted it, I see no reason to hammer it ?

The Casu is deliberately opened to allow a cheese fly to lay eggs under the outer lid which is then closed. The eggs hatch into maggots. The maggots literally eat and shit only cheese, so the cheese is processed. The cheese is not rotten, and you don’t care if you eat the maggots - they’re made of cheese ?

You can not buy the Casu outside of Sardinia, - the EU prohibits sale.

Hhmmm a slightly hostile reaction. Do you by chance own a Casu Marzu dairy?.

I'm sure it tastes lovely, but I haven't as yet, and not sure I will be seduced into trying Casu Marzu.     I know I'm being crazy, but I just don't like eating embryonic flies

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, 99call said:

Hhmmm a slightly hostile reaction. Do you by chance own a Casu Marzu dairy?.

I'm sure it tastes lovely, but I haven't as yet, and not sure I will be seduced into trying Casu Marzu.     I know I'm being crazy, but I just don't like eating embryonic flies

?? No hostility meant, - And no, I am not a Casu Marzu maker.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.