Child rearing genius....things your dad did...........that would be a tad questionable today

Things your dad did...........that would be a tad questionable today :lookaround:

I was listening to a conversation about this topic yesterday and  was having a cracking laugh reminiscing :D

My pop was adamant we had to dock the tails of a batch of puppies. He'd had a few drinks, put a cutting board on the hood of his much loved Hillman, sharpened the hand axe and had me hold the tail of each one. To his credit....he got better as he went along. 

If it happened today I would be in counselling and seeing him on Saturdays during prison farm visiting hours. :rolleyes:

Mind you I was not perfect. No need to comment on this thread Ben :lookaround:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My dad Is a really nice guys but still I got whipped with the belt....It’s what they did back then, oh and I did deserve it.

These days we’d be taken by CPS. Actually the folks probably would have enjoyed the break from us if we were removed from the house?

• Like 3

I'm with @madandana ... I used to get my $hi+ kicked in. Often. I was discussing this with a friend a few days ago. It takes someone to break that cycle. I'm happy to not have followed in those footsteps. 

On the other hand, I don't begrudge the old man. It's what he knew cause that's how he was raised. Iron fist. Turns out of you get the stuffing knocked out of you, you might get a job and pay your taxes. I'm not a criminal. I try to be a good friend. He would certainly not have children for 5 mins in today's climate and that old temperament. We chat about it now... He gets selective amnesia. No I didn't! Oh... Oh yes you did. LoL

Would love to hear from Ben. Hahahhahaha!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

During the summer at 9 years of age, he would have me drive, alone from our home in  town to the farm, about 3 miles. Then I got on a tractor and plowed, or worked in the fields all day. He would come check on me from time to time during the day, to make sure I wasn't playing around. I believe a lot of people would frown on this today, but I loved it. This continued until I left for University.

By the way, he did believe in using the belt if I got out of line. It didn't happen often, I was a quick learner.

• Like 1

My father got a Peugeot 504 with a sunroof in 1977.

As a 7/8 year old he used to let me stand up on the rear armrest with my upper body through the sunroof so I could pretend I was flying. The roof of the car was probably at my waist height, a nice soft bit, as he drove along pub to pub through country roads at 40-50mph.

The fun we had!

Ill go with the above.... When principal called dad because Todd did something dumb at school... oooh lord.. Dad made me pick out the belt and that was the worst part! His favorite was the old brown belt with the holes in it! It left slight welts and thats getting reported to CPS nowadays!

2 hours ago, ElJavi76 said:

I'm with @madandana ... I used to get my $hi+ kicked in. Often. I was discussing this with a friend a few days ago. It takes someone to break that cycle. I'm happy to not have followed in those footsteps. 

On the other hand, I don't begrudge the old man. It's what he knew cause that's how he was raised. Iron fist. Turns out of you get the stuffing knocked out of you, you might get a job and pay your taxes. I'm not a criminal. I try to be a good friend. He would certainly not have children for 5 mins in today's climate and that old temperament. We chat about it now... He gets selective amnesia. No I didn't! Oh... Oh yes you did. LoL

Would love to hear from Ben. Hahahhahaha!

I got lucky and had 2 girls that were/are perfect angles so I never had to worry about discipline. 

• Like 1

Grew up on a 220 acre farm.  I used to go shooting and hunting unsupervised starting around age 12.  I don't know if I'd do anything different with my son- presuming he's demonstrated proficiency and safe use with firearms.  I think the big one that I wouldn't do these days is let my son ride in the back of my pickup.  That was so fun as a kid- to ride in the back of a pickup when going to pick something up from the store.  It was the country.  Everyone did it.  Mom would say, "No standing."  Guess no one gave any thought to unrestrained children in the bed of a pickup during a collision.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mtapia3 said:

My dad would pack my brothers and I in the bed of his old pick up truck and take us everywhere. Sometimes 4 hour drives into Mexico in the sweltering heat. We had no seat belts or anything else to avoid certain death if we were to have crashed. But he did provide us with a bucket to piss in so that we wouldn’t bother him to stop. 

Nowadays an act like that would probably get you jail time for child abuse and endangerment. No wonder kids aren’t the same anymore...

kids without seatbelts and in the front row in road trips. a brazilian given in the 80´s.

My dad wasn’t much of a disciplinarian. My mom, on the other hand, was an old school housewife of the 60’s who majored in child psychology in college :whip:

13 hours ago, madandana said:

My dad Is a really nice guys but still I got whipped with the belt....It’s what they did back then, oh and I did deserve it.

These days we’d be taken by CPS. Actually the folks probably would have enjoyed the break from us if we were removed from the house?

Same for me. Then there was my mom chasing me around the house with a wooden spoon. She didn’t often catch me but if my Dad had a belt there was no escaping it. I also deserved it and really was no big deal. 

Then there was getting “the strap” at school from the principal. My guess is they don’t do that anymore. 

We would spend weekends camping in northern Michigan, 4-5 hour drive, windows up, smoking a half pack of cigarettes. I would cry and complain about the smoke and he would pull off his belt, while still driving and randomly swing his belt at me and my sister. The joys of camping in the late 60’s ??

mainland chinese guy here in USA (a friend of friend) was forced to "discipline" his kid

but the kid began threatening to report him unless he got a new car

the dad cooked up a story about needing to see sick grandma back in china

when they got there the dad tore up the kid's passport/visa and left him with grandma

Edited by rascalmonkey
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

At parent teacher conferences my parents used to tell the teachers in front of me that they had their permission to hit me if I got out of line.  I had it easy as my grandfather used to make my father pick out which tree branch to hit him with so I have no complaints. 

My dad was big on outside the box punishments. I dug a lot of 5x5x5 holes, only to have to fill them back in upon completion. Walking around the property from 5 am till 5 pm was another favorite. At 15 when the undesirable behavior wasn’t cured it was off to military boarding school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lets see, big wooden spoons from my mother for doing stupid things. Leather belts from dad when he got home and learned about said stupid things that had already gotten the spoon. Then when I got older, I had to go outside and pick my own switch, and Heaven forbid I pick one that broke easily... bloody welts all over the back of my legs that kept me from sitting down for hours. The belts and spoons worked ok, but the switches are what really made you learn and think about what you did wrong.

Then let’s not forget about being kicked outside during the summer and on weekends. Kicked out in the morning and don’t come back in the house till lunch time (my parents bought a cast iron bell that could be heard for a mile), then kicked back out again till dinner or the street lights turned on.

Any of these things would get CPS involved quite quickly these days...

Yeah, the leather belt seems to have been a staple hey?

I'm the eldest of 3, my dad used to punish us all if even only one of us stuffed around.

My dad would tell me to go get his leather belt and then once I hand it over, he'd give it to us. Another is he'd go out back and cut a small flexible branch and use that across our backsides. Kneel on a floor facing the wall was another of his faves, if we lifted the knee, he'd wack us with his belt.

Now that I'm a dad, I have NEVER smacked my son and he's an absolutely wonderful little guy. 10 years old, happy, loving life, great school grades and a very kind and generous heart.

I can't imagine discipling anyone in the manner I've listed, let alone read elsewhere.

1 minute ago, Chellams said:

Haha I definitely don’t do this with my 12 and 15yos ?

Ha ha. Sometimes I got lucky and he would give me a small pour (around 2 oz) in a glass. I would savor it till the last drop. 

• Like 1

Im the youngest of four so things had calmed down in the 1980's but my brothers and Sister were in born in the late 60"s and early 70"s and my dad used to Drink and drive. Obviously before it was dangerous.

Smoking in the car. No seatbelts.

Not really on the child rearing front, but it goes to show how things have changed. My dad used to tell stories of how he had to drive slowly behind a police car to get him home on occasion.