Child rearing genius....things your dad did...........that would be a tad questionable today

Along the same lines of getting the belt from Dad...

First of all, I'd take the belt any day compared to the punishment my Mom would dole out.... sentences.

If I did something wrong, she'd send me to my room to write "I will not..." a hundred times.  It was agonizing.  Whippings were so quick.

Anyway, we used to get paddled in school and I think there are still some school districts in my state that paddle.  I remember being paddled as late as 1993.  The last time I was paddled was for not turning in some homework.  It was a rite of passage.  The boys in my school were respectful and have turned out to be productive adults by and large.

I never got the belt, but my grandfather would get us with a fly swatter when we gave him grief. If you recall the handles used to be made from metal, and they had some “action” in them. He was using a walker to get around by then, so I presume it was the only thing he could use and swing accurately at the time. Lucky for me I didn’t know him in his younger years as I’m sure the tool of choice would’ve been much worse.

Also, my godfather let me stand in the front seat while driving around town. It only took one sudden stop, and my head cracking the front windshield, to not allow that any longer. We actually got smarter about it. After that incident I just got through the open window of the car door, with my feet inside the car and the rest of my body outside the car, while riding around town. I still don’t blame him when I forget things or for all the other voices I hear in my head. And at only 35mph around town, I’m sure I would have survived a fall. :)  

My dad used to take me to ride ATVs with his buddies. Back then they weren't "Four wheelers". Dad had a Honda Big Red three wheeler that he loved. I was too small to sit on the back and hold on so I got to ride on the gas tank and hold on to the handle bars picking my feet up when we went through huge mud puddles. Before we would load it up into the truck we would take a "Test drive" screaming down the block first thing in the morning to make sure it was running good that day. I'm sure the neighbors loved us.

My dad got his payback when I started racing and jumping them 30' in the air. I do still have a nice 450r sitting in the garage waiting for my 1yr old to be able to "Hold on" and an old 80s model 60 cc Yamaha tri zinger for when he can ride it himself. My wife is going to kill me. 

might seem mild compared to the rest of you but when I was trying to learn to swim he just up and picked me up and threw me in our pool on the deep end. Either learn how to swim due to fight or flight or just drown, ha. CPS would've had been called within five minutes in these times.