Is having a Cuban cigar roller a good idea at a wedding?

Howdy gents. I’m in the beginning phases of planning my wedding, one of the venues suggested having a cigar roller at the reception. I love the idea but I’m not sure if I will have time to enjoy it since I will be busy running around saying hi to everyone. Just wondering if any of you been or had a cigar roller at your wedding and if it was worth it.

So here in Canada and specifically in Toronto there’s a cigar roller who has the only license in the country to import Cuban tobacco for rolling purposes. It’s called Correnti Cigars, they would be the one at the venue rolling cigars.

If anyone is interested here is their website, they have been around since the early 1900's. http://www.correnticigars.com/

Would be cool to have "Cuban" cigars from my wedding and can smoke them during major milestones just not sure if it’s worth it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Correnti's is awesome! congrats on your upcoming nuptials too!!

I would say from experience that you wont have much time for anything on the big day other then chat with your guests, so if you are thinking of getting a cigar roller for your enjoyment rather then your guests then its prob easier and cheaper to just supply a box or 2 of Cubans for people to smoke.  if your lucky you might get to smoke one at the end of the night.

best of luck!  

Guest Nekhyludov

I didn't have a roller at my wedding, but I brought a couple of boxes for guests. I could only rush one cigar in at the end of the night, but if I could have had a roller I absolutely would have. At the very least, you'll have some fantastic mementos that you can enjoy in the years to come.

And congrats on the upcoming nuptials! 

I couldn't get 5 minutes to myself at my wedding. It was like the damn wedding planner was babysitting/supervising me. From everyone posting here and that I've spoken to having zero time seems to be the norm at your wedding. 

Your wedding is a big party for everyone except you and your bride. I barely had time to eat. Literally. 

However at my Cousins wedding my uncle had two guys show up and roll cigars. I'm in the states so they and the tobacco were Dominican but they still rolled a nice cigar. I know many people went over and took a cigar, lit them up and left them quarter to half smoked all over the place. To be expected I think, but really pissed my uncle off. So thats something to consider. I wouldn't want to see any good cigars half smoked left lying all over the place. I think I may have thrown a few guests out. 

If I were getting married again I would get a cheap box(es) depending on size of guest list and leave them out. I would hand out a couple special cigars to a few special people and put time to smoke with them into the wedding plan. 

If you wanted a special keepsake to remember the wedding by might I suggest having your wife buy you a box of cigars as a wedding gift. I know many couples exchange gifts before the wedding. You could give her a few options and point her in the right direction. Or just have Correnti roll you a box of a private blend.  

Best wishes for the upcoming nuptials! Just remember she's going to get whatever she wants anyway, so just say yes and stay the hell out of her way. LOL.

~Ted  

• Like 4

Would make nice take away mementos for your guests (taking home some wedding cigars).  Would you be able to smoke them at your wedding venue?  Have only been to one wedding where cigars were passed around and that was over 20 years ago.  A greek wedding where the majority were smoking already.  Very old school setting.

I say go for it!  Have them roll small ones for casual smokers and bigger ones for the serious smokers.

• Like 2

As many have said, I doubt you'll have time to enjoy one.  It's really for the guests, so if you have a bunch coming that would enjoy a cigar, it's worth considering.  Given you're in Canada and could have Frank Correnti roll Cuban leaves for you, that would be tempting.  Outside of the famous rollers like Hamlet, getting a roller from Correnti there would be special.  I've only had one Correnti, a Queens I think (smallish double figurado), and it was good.  There's something about having a roller vs a box of cigars that feels like you went the extra mile, which a wedding is all about. 

• Like 2

*I agree with nearly all the rest of the opinions here, and that's that it would be super swell spectacular for us aficionados of the leaf...but for your wedding I just don't see how there would be ANY time to stand around watching and admiring the Correnti work in progress. Best to schedule that fun activity for another possibly related time IMHO:peace:

• Like 3

Think about your guests and if your guests would enjoy.  It's a fun diversion depending on the crowd.  I've been to weddings with a roller and I thoroughly enjoyed getting a freshroll and smoking cigars with other guests.  As for you, you're going to get into your wedding, greet everyone, take a dance or two, and typical wedding festivities (bouquet toss, garter toss, cake sharing, group pictures) and then have time to say goodbye (and collect presents).  It's not like you won't enjoy your wedding reception, it's just that you'll be very busy.

• Like 2

You have to put your foot down day 1. 

....of course you need a cigar roller. He can set up next to the dancers pole. 

Stay strong .........there will always be time for crumpling in a few year time :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

You have to put your foot down day 1. 

....of course you need a cigar roller. He can set up next to the dancers pole. 

Stay strong .........there will always be time for crumpling in a few year time :D

Sagely advice El Jefe! Thanks! 

2 hours ago, ElPuro said:

Agree with other comments here. I'd probably invest the $ elsewhere, but I could see why others like the idea. 

The could be a half million dollar wedding for all we know?  I like an earlier post about making the whole reception more "cuban" or the like.  The cigar roller would really fit into the whole theme.  Salsa music, comida, dancing...    

This is a very high risk thing.  Whether you should have a roller or not depends entirely on how sexy she is.  Get a roller who's just too hot and you could be looking at the shortest marriage ever! :P 

I love the idea. If the cost isn’t prohibitive, boy, that would be memorable and awesome. Since you’ll be pressed for time, maybe the roller can supply you with a couple of perlas or minutos for the day of and set aside a larger cigar for later. Of course, just buying boxes of cigars is cool too, though not as unique.

Ive always been curious how those fresh rolled cigars reform. Having a house/custom roller isn’t common out here. They’re not too moist to smoke right away?

28 minutes ago, Danimalia said:

I love the idea. If the cost isn’t prohibitive, boy, that would be memorable and awesome. Since you’ll be pressed for time, maybe the roller can supply you with a couple of perlas or minutos for the day of and set aside a larger cigar for later. Of course, just buying boxes of cigars is cool too, though not as unique.

Ive always been curious how those fresh rolled cigars reform. Having a house/custom roller isn’t common out here. They’re not too moist to smoke right away?

I know the rollers my Uncle hired brought a bunch of pre-rolled cigars with them and the cigars they were rolling were supposed to be a take home keepsake. Although my Uncle did bring me over to the rollers and had them roll up a "special" for the two of us which we smoked right there and it smoked great. 

They were also only rolling certain vitolas, I'm not sure if it was the rollers skill level, a price thing, or a tobacco thing. I'm seeing my Uncle tomorrow and I'll ask him for some info.