Critters you see while smoking your cigar?

I live in Southern California. Curious what wildlife others see while enjoying a cigar. So far since I moved into the new house last year...

Wild donkeys

Coyotes

Skunks

Possum 

Raccoons

Rabbits

Ground hogs

Rat

Mouse

Black widows and brown recluse

Eagles and hawks

Praying mantis 

EDIT:  Bark Scorpions...Yeah!!!

...it's like a zoo around here.

Edited by HarveyBoulevard
Critter Addition

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That was in my back yard where the Perth Crew smoke we see heaps mainly young fillies but usually degenerate old men  

The usual suspect...

from the balcony, all manner of creatures at times. large goannas water dragons fresh water turtles (including one which used to climb a fallen tree (still on a steeper slope than 45 de

Hi Harvey 

For me whilst living in suburbia i don't get to see such exotic things as you Harvey. For me its mainly birds, hawks, eagles, parrots, and various other little birds and the odd rat, a ton of insects mantises cockroaches red back spiders (Black Widows)  and about 20 billion ants LOL

thanks for the post 

• Like 1

Steelhead and tarpon if I'm lucky. Usually from around home though a murder of Northwestern crows. They are damned interesting birds and never ever complain about my smoking.

• Like 1

Besides the general reprobates that show up on the deck from time to time we have deer, coyotes, possums, chipmunks, falcons (we are near Atlanta - rise up!), hawks, owls, rabbits (cat loves these), squirrels (too many squirrels - taken to trapping and gassing them), snakes - mostly harmless unlike the Ozzie kinds though we do get the occasional Copperhead or Diamond back. Lots of spiders, again mostly harmless beyond the Brown Recluse - nasty buggers.... Roof rats, voles, moles, large grasshoppers. Wild turkeys, feral cats. Stray dogs, random drunks and an adolescent peeper once. Won't even begin with the insects.....

• Like 1

I live 4 kms from the city centre, but have a huge amount of parklands around me. I have resident possums (bushy and ringtailed), kookaburras (who laugh with me and not at me) and a pair of tawny frogmouths who I have named Bruce and Sheila.

Smithy shows up sometimes too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

I live in Southern California. Curious what wildlife others see while enjoying a cigar. So far since I moved into the new house last year...

Wild donkeys

Coyotes

Skunks

Possum 

Raccoons

Rabbits

Ground hogs

Rat

Mouse

Black widows and brown recluse

Eagles and hawks

Praying mantis 

...it's like a zoo around here.

... this one is for you Harv...

Myth of the Brown Recluse
Fact, Fear, and Loathing

Rick Vetter
Department of Entomology, University of California, Riverside, CA

This website presents evidence for the lack of brown recluse spiders as part of the Californian spider fauna. Unfortunately, this contradicts what most Californians believe; beliefs that are born out of media-driven hyperbole and erroneous, anxiety-filled public hearsay which is further compounded by medical misdiagnoses. Although people are free to disagree, this opinion has come about after more than twp decades of constant research resulting in many publications in the scientific and medical literature. In addition to personal experience and thousands of spiders submitted to UC Rverside, the sources for this opinion encompasses conversations with, interactions with, and the cumulative knowledge of the following, who have experience or expertise in the state of California and, in some cases, are national or international experts:

• Arachnologists throughout the state including those at the Los Angeles County Museum and San Francisco's California Academy of Sciences (one of whom is probably one of the top 5 arachnologists in the world)
  • The Calif. Dept of Food and Agriculture, which is responsible for identifying all exotic pests found in California
  • County Agricultural Commissioner Office entomologists up and down the state
  • Hundreds of pest control operators in both Northern and Southern California
  • County vector and health personnel
  • U.S. recluse expert, who wrote the definitive taxonomic revision where he described the distribution of all North American recluse species, and who also happened to be a vector control person in Northern California, now retired. 
  • The late Dr. Findlay Russell, the world's foremost authority on animal venoms. Dr. Russell was an internationally renowned toxicologist, was a medical physician at USC Medical Center and consulted on hundreds of "spider bite" diagnoses in California. In fact, Dr. Russell's research was the impetus for many of the ideas expressed here.

Cumulatively, this body of knowledge represents hundreds of years of experience with spiders and/or their medical aspects in California and the identification of hundreds of thousands of spiders. So if you think the material here is in error, consider the strength of your own sources....

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

from the balcony, all manner of creatures at times.

large goannas

water dragons

fresh water turtles (including one which used to climb a fallen tree (still on a steeper slope than 45 degrees) and then leap into the water from about ten foot. never seen anything like him before or since).

various hawks

various parrots and cockatoos

cormorants

kookaburras

cane toads

deer

possums

huntsman spiders

carpet pythons

eastern browns

tree and whip snakes and occasionally keelbacks swimming around

various spiders

ayala

eels

eel-tailed catfish

platypus (once)

and so on - a regular david attenborough feast here.

All edible

• Like 2

I've seen two car wrecks.

The most interesting I've heard, but have yet to see is a screech owl.  It camps out in the neighbor's pine tree, but doesn't like to be seen.

• Like 1

Viewed on or around my patio.

Grey & Flying squirrels up the ying/yang 

Blue & green salamanders

Racoons

Fox

Armadillo

Deer, lots of deer

Black, green & copperhead snakes

Muskrats

Beavers

Osprey, Hawkes, Red Headed Woodpeckers, Humming birds, Great Blue Heron, Owls, Bats, Cardinals, Blue birds, Crows

Coyotes

Preying Mantis, Katydids & Grasshoppers

Stick Bugs

Various spiders

Possum

Tree Frogs, Bull Frogs and Toads

May Flys

Pheasant

Wild Turkeys

Skunks

Bass, Gar & Carp 

Various Water Fowl

Neighbors loose dogs

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PigFish said:

... this one is for you Harv...

Myth of the Brown Recluse
Fact, Fear, and Loathing

Rick Vetter
Department of Entomology, University of California, Riverside, CA

This website presents evidence for the lack of brown recluse spiders as part of the Californian spider fauna. Unfortunately, this contradicts what most Californians believe; beliefs that are born out of media-driven hyperbole and erroneous, anxiety-filled public hearsay which is further compounded by medical misdiagnoses. Although people are free to disagree, this opinion has come about after more than twp decades of constant research resulting in many publications in the scientific and medical literature. In addition to personal experience and thousands of spiders submitted to UC Rverside, the sources for this opinion encompasses conversations with, interactions with, and the cumulative knowledge of the following, who have experience or expertise in the state of California and, in some cases, are national or international experts:

• Arachnologists throughout the state including those at the Los Angeles County Museum and San Francisco's California Academy of Sciences (one of whom is probably one of the top 5 arachnologists in the world)
  • The Calif. Dept of Food and Agriculture, which is responsible for identifying all exotic pests found in California
  • County Agricultural Commissioner Office entomologists up and down the state
  • Hundreds of pest control operators in both Northern and Southern California
  • County vector and health personnel
  • U.S. recluse expert, who wrote the definitive taxonomic revision where he described the distribution of all North American recluse species, and who also happened to be a vector control person in Northern California, now retired. 
  • The late Dr. Findlay Russell, the world's foremost authority on animal venoms. Dr. Russell was an internationally renowned toxicologist, was a medical physician at USC Medical Center and consulted on hundreds of "spider bite" diagnoses in California. In fact, Dr. Russell's research was the impetus for many of the ideas expressed here.

Cumulatively, this body of knowledge represents hundreds of years of experience with spiders and/or their medical aspects in California and the identification of hundreds of thousands of spiders. So if you think the material here is in error, consider the strength of your own sources....

Next one I suspect to fit the bill is going to get packaged up and sent to you for inspection.  I am no arachnologist...but I've seen Arachnophobia several times...does that count?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

Next one I suspect to fit the bill is going to get packaged up and sent to you for inspection.  I am no arachnologist...but I've seen Arachnophobia several times...does that count?

... as long as he comes with a few cigars, his visa will be granted! Otherwise, he's stuck at the border!!! -LOL

-Piggy

1 hour ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

Arachnophobia several times...

Gesundheit!!! (several times)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PigFish said:

... various wildlife! Including one stallion, one gelding, one mare and a bitch!

You can use your imagination to sort that one out!!! -LOL

I am expecting @Fugu will step in here and add my butterfly obsession! -the Pig

Indeed, old treehugger - missing the pics!

Will get you pics of one of my, ardently loved :rolleyes: ones, tomorrow (too dark outside already).

• Like 1