Don't Think - Just Smoke! (Rant)

Hello friends,

I've noticed, in my short time here, that many threads seem to display two groups of posters who employ the following attitude towards the topic being discussed:

1 - Let's analyse things, learn more, compare thoughts, share opinions, agree, disagree, argue.

2 - Relax, enjoy, don't stress yourself or over-analyse things.

I must say that I place myself, almost every single time, in the first group. Everyone has different motives for joining a community like this. One of my main motivations is simply to learn more about cigars, and one of the best ways to learn is by interacting with others. Sharing what you know, testing your assumptions against evidence from others, being able to admit when you are wrong, considering other people's point of view, not being afraid to disagree, along with providing sensible reasons and/or evidence for your difference of opinion.

What I really find offensive, are those people who want to discourage any kind of progress or learning because the subject matter doesn't appeal to them. Progress is made by people who ask questions and have the motivation to learn and try new things. If we were all in group 2, we would still believe that the earth is flat, because there is no need to worry ourselves about what shape it is!

There are times when a member has asked a question like 'Are these cigars fake?' or 'Does it matter if my RH fluctuates by a few percent?' Of course, in those cases it can be quite apt to tell them not to worry. But when someone has asked a more complicated question, and the replies have started a debate, why would you intervene to let the participants know that their discussion is of no interest to you? If you see a question and think to yourself 'that is a pointless thing to ask' then your contribution to the thread is going to be equally pointless. Why not find another thread to join? Just because you find a question boring/stupid/worthless, it doesn't mean the question, or indeed the answer(s), won't be useful to someone else.

Another type of question commonly asked is something more lighthearted and fun, such as 'What music do you like to listen to when you smoke?'. Actually I made that one up, but similar questions appear all the time. Again, there will be some people who feel the need to chime in and tell us 'Who cares about this? Why worry about what music is in the background?? Stop thinking about this!!'. It would be enough for you to simply state that you don't care about music when you smoke. There is no need to discourage or ridicule the person who started the thread, unless you find it offensive in some way, in which case there is a procedure for reporting these threads.

So often, I see people accused of 'over thinking' or 'over analysing'. Well, there is something worse than over-thinking. It's not thinking - and this has become a very popular hobby for some.

Relax, enjoy, but don't forget that you also have a brain and, more importantly, you are allowed to use it. :)

• Like 4

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Civility, charity, consideration. It's not that hard. Come with the spirit to share your joy and love of the hobby and the good that it does for you. How could you go wrong starting from this basis?

I'm definitely in the don't over think it catagory but also am affended when people are rude. Hey, if your not interested then don't read it. Some people are interested. It always seems to be the sam

@Smoker. Welcome to the Internet. And especially, forums. I hear what you're saying. There are a lot of threads I don't have interest in but i don't go into them to make that point. Unfortunatel

I like Freuds quote: "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." No need to overthink it. I know I buy great cigars and they're what I like. I know how to store my cigars, I've not had any problems. I like the K.I.S.S. principle, Keep It Simple Stupid. Kinda makes me laugh seeing botl getting all crazy over subjects (I am sometimes guilty). I have 3 rules I like to follow:

1. Know what know

2. Know someone who knows what I want to know.

3. That's all I need to know.

Good luck brother and don't forget to enjoy that cigar!

• Like 2

Wow, that's a long post. Could you summarize it in an Excel sheet? lol3.gif

j/k

Seriously, you wouldn't believe how many times I got criticized because I tried to explain why there are "petits coronas" and "marevas" (exactly the same size) or why a perla is different from a minuto…

• Like 1

Type 1 would be all well and good if it didn't so often end up with multiple type 1s bashing heads and generally willy waving in a 'in my x years of experience I now know (or know now) categorically dum de dum' followed by 'well my phd in such and such means you know less than your average worm about dum de dum' and inevitably 'something something something Hitler*'.

* as per Godwin's law. Which interestingly led me to google and finding out that Hitler did in fact smoke cigars, some were even on sale here - http://www.germaniainternational.com/hitler12.html - Cuban no less!

• Like 2

I am pretty much in the second group, but I appreciate those of you in the first one, unless it degenerates into a pedantic pissing match, then I just move on.

I am almost continuously analyzing/planning/evaluating/developing at work so my cigar at the end of a day is a pleasant pause from all that. But hey, if you get joy from detailed analyses of your cigars, go for it! Just don't get mad at me if you ask me about a cigar and my entire evaluation consists of "I liked it."

To each their own. I find that some debates on here make me want to raid the tupperdor and smoke 5 different cigars simultaneously, whilst others make me want to say, "Chill dude."

That's the beauty of our hobby. Everyone gets fired up by different things.

It's a big world, and there's room for everybody.

I'd like to think I've never made anyone feel small by anything I've posted, but I know I've been made to feel small by some responses, so I know where you're coming from brother.

In an attempt to avoid an ironic reply and a case study of the types of posts referred to in the the original post - however, forums are just an online version of people, and their real world personalities. Granted, some people exaggerate their real opinions and wouldn't behave that way in a real world conversation.

I've think I've met over 100 FOH members in 'real life'', and every one of them was like they are online.

In the same way there are arseholes in real life, there are arseholes online - and of course, vice versa with good people.

Well written. The sad reality is that people will post what they want regardless. Internet invincibility is very strong and rants like yours won't make them bend and stop what they write.

I've seen your last couple threads and appreciate your willing to learn as I have been there and am still there. And I often have deleted certain threads I wanted to start fearful of sounding naive or even stupid. I applaud your rant and hope you find peace in accepting those replies that rub you the wrong g way....because they won't stop.

• Like 2

Count me as one in group 2 who also enjoys reading some of the details from people in category 1.

The long detailed posts on rh levels isn't going to change my perception on how to treat my cigars (hell I don't even understand what some people are getting at), but someone with little experience might get freaked out thinking they have to do such in order to enjoy the hobby. So as long as everyone is respectful to one another, all sides having a voice is a good thing, including - relax, it's just cigars.

• Like 1

Wow, that's a long post. Could you summarize it in an Excel sheet? lol3.gif

Yeah, I probably could - I like my speadsheets. tongue.png

Seriously, you wouldn't believe how many times I got criticized because I tried to explain why there are "petits coronas" and "marevas" (exactly the same size) or why a perla is different from a minuto…

Actually, I want to know the answer to that lol. Why are they sometimes called Marevas, and sometimes Petit Coronas? And also, what is the correct single and plural version in Spanish? Is it Corona (single) and (Coronas) plural? I use, and have seen used, both Corona & Coronas as singular - same with Robustos.

Just to clarify something I didn't mention in my original rant - we obviously need both groups of people on this planet, not just the first group. And posters in both groups can be rude and disrespectful - not just the 2nd group. In fact, quite often when the 2nd group are rude, they don't even realise they are being rude. Whereas when someone in the first group is rude, it is likely more premeditated and spiteful lol.

Yeah, I probably could - I like my speadsheets. tongue.png

Actually, I want to know the answer to that lol. Why are they sometimes called Marevas, and sometimes Petit Coronas? And also, what is the correct single and plural version in Spanish? Is it Corona (single) and (Coronas) plural? I use, and have seen used, both Corona & Coronas as singular - same with Robustos.

Just to clarify something I didn't mention in my original rant - we obviously need both groups of people on this planet, not just the first group. And posters in both groups can be rude and disrespectful - not just the 2nd group. In fact, quite often when the 2nd group are rude, they don't even realise they are being rude. Whereas when someone in the first group is rude, it is likely more premeditated and spiteful lol.

One Corona, Two Coronas

One Robusto, Two Robustos

One Corona Gorda, Two Coronas Gordas

One Especial, Two Especiales

One Salamon, Two Salamones

Basically, if the word ends in 'es' it's plural and the singular version is the same without the 'es', as the case with Especial/Especiales and Salamon/Salamones. People will still say Especiale and Salamone but it's not the correct word.

This is from a Spanish speaker perspective, not a cigar terminology nut.

• Like 2

In an attempt to avoid an ironic reply and a case study of the types of posts referred to in the the original post - however, forums are just an online version of people, and their real world personalities. Granted, some people exaggerate their real opinions and wouldn't behave that way in a real world conversation.

I've think I've met over 100 FOH members in 'real life'', and every one of them was like they are online.

In the same way there are arseholes in real life, there are arseholes online - and of course, vice versa with good people.

I much prefer you online nyah.gif

• Like 2

"Petit coronas" are former machine made cigars of the same size as marevas. For instance, the Partagas and RyJ Mille Fleur, Hoyo and Punch Coronation, etc. were MM until the early 2000's. They're now hand made but for some reason they didn't receive the status of "mareva" which are premium cigars.

• Like 3

I was an analyst when I worked in my previous job, and whilst I enjoy learning about my hobbies, cigars were the hobby that I just wanted to relax and enjoy. Cigars allowed me to disconnect the analytical part of my brain and relax.

As I mentioned in one of your threads, if you enjoy analysing stuff, keep on going. It's your hobby, do with it as you please.

"Petit coronas" are former machine made cigars of the same size as marevas. For instance, the Partagas and RyJ Mille Fleur, Hoyo and Punch Coronation, etc. were MM until the early 2000's. They're now hand made but for some reason they didn't receive the status of "mareva" which are premium cigars.

I found this quite interesting. Thanks! ok.gif

• Like 1

One Corona, Two Coronas

One Robusto, Two Robustos

One Corona Gorda, Two Coronas Gordas

One Especial, Two Especiales

One Salamon, Two Salamones

Basically, if the word ends in 'es' it's plural and the singular version is the same without the 'es', as the case with Especial/Especiales and Salamon/Salamones. People will still say Especiale and Salamone but it's not the correct word.

This is from a Spanish speaker perspective, not a cigar terminology nut.

Thanks for that!

And thanks for this too - it is something that has been bugging me for a while. When I see inconsistencies, it's easy to write them off as there seem to be ,any in the Cuban cigar world! But it's nice to know that there is sometimes logic to their irregularities.

• Like 1

I am gonna chime in here.

Simply because this type of thread infuriates me to no end.

How dare you say there are two groups of people on this forum.

In saying that though, let me say this, there are two types of people in this world.

Type 1.) Those that smoke cigars

Type 2.) Those that don't

Which do you belong to?

&

What's for dinner?

spotlight.gif

I'm in the 3rd group. I analyse them first, then smoke them. After that I make a spreadsheet. :)

• Like 1

I don't care about the groups/types of people or the posts you make. Just please search the forum for previous topics and add to them before you start an identical topic. Seen this happening a lot over the last year. This will make it easier as new members continue to join and have similar questions that we all had when first getting started.

• Like 2

I don't care about the groups/types of people or the posts you make. Just please search the forum for previous topics and add to them before you start an identical topic. Seen this happening a lot over the last year. This will make it easier as new members continue to join and have similar questions that we all had when first getting started.

it does happen quite a bit and I am thankful to experienced members who provide links.

Search is your friend. Do that first but if you fail to come up with the answer you seek, never ....ever....feel like you cannot ask any question (within the FOH rules).

We all started somewhere.

+ 1 I agree with this point.

Before posting a question/topic, why not use the search tool as often some topics are over covered.

As for naysayers, haters and the like, please don't read the bloody thread or topic if you have no interest. It's THAT simple.

I really hate those who have no interest but make a lovely point to complain to people to pull a thread as so often occurs, rolleyes.gif simply because they just want to cause an issue or goes against their beliefs. I feel we should all be able to discuss a topic, cigar related or not without the whole point of the thread/topic being lost and forgotten over a debate. Move along, there's plenty else to read and contribute to.

In the end this forum covers all bases, cigars be they CC, NC, pipes and various non tobacco related. If neither of these categories suit, please go elsewhere.

Love - Mika

• Like 1

I really hate those who have no interest but make a lovely point to complain to people to pull a thread as so often occurs, rolleyes.gif simply because they just want to cause an issue or goes against their beliefs. I feel we should all be able to discuss a topic, cigar related or not without the whole point of the thread/topic being lost and forgotten over a debate. Move along, there's plenty else to read and contribute to.

You had a post pulled Mika on US politics. No need to complain rolleyes.gif . Blatant breach and you knew full well where it is likely to head. We have had no end of trouble on threads heasing in a US political slant of late. Elections tend to do that. No US political content is a rule because it simply cannot be managed. Never has been able to be. Sad I know.

All members take responsibility for their thread and post. Put the community first. Throwing in a thread knowing it is going to cause some controversy may be **** and giggles to some....but mods have to clean it up when it goes south. No win situation. The instigators get their jollies and feign censorship. The offended use the report button and feign offense.

This isn't a kindergarten but nor it is scout camp where one can practice starting little bush fires and then blaming the firemen for putting them out.

Big boy pants is the key cigar.gif

******* online? ******* in real life? Check to both.

I'm going to enjoy a cigar.

Not worried about how I light it, which hand I hold it in, what I "pair" it with, what I ate before nor how to clean my palate. I wont concern myself with the colour of my after cigar poop nor of what angle to hold to my toothbrush at when I brush later tonight. LOL. Dont take this hobby and enjoyment (and yourself) too seriously. Or do. Nobody really cares all that much....

• Like 4