Don't Think - Just Smoke! (Rant)

I have to agree with this. Not being snotty, but it is difficult to understand deep thinkers, lets call them 'ponderers' unless you are one. Or, perhaps if you know one intimately.

There are all "types" of people out there. We are as different inside as we look outside, human characteristics notwithstanding. Believing that everyone in life is the 'same' as you, I believe is a profound mistake. I don't mean this as in superior or inferrer, or having greater or lesser human rights... I mean it as in equal, the real mathematical meaning, as in exactly the same. No two people are the same, therefore no two people are equal.

Smoking a cigar, like listening to good music "frees" the mind to wander and create. It is actually an aid to thinking, and does not interfere with it. The TV for example, in my case, interferes with it. The TV is mind numbing, and when I don't wish to think, I watch TV... I watch TV in the evening when I want to switch my brain off. I actually do it as a preparation for bed, so that I can sleep.

Smoking is a cerebral event for me, or at the very least, that is its highest elevation. That is the reason it is not a habit. A habit is something that you do almost unconsciously, typically to satisfy some sort of craving. Smoking is not that, not for me anyway.

Smoking is a "zone." It is a great time to think and ponder. It is one of the reasons that I like it so much. Smoking is complementary to deep thought, at least for me!

Cheers! -Piggy

I completely agree. Nothing expands my capacity for creative thinking like a good cigar and nothing restricts it like TV.

And I have to say, this might be the first long post from PigFish where I understood every part of it! I'm moving up in the world fellas...

• Like 2

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Civility, charity, consideration. It's not that hard. Come with the spirit to share your joy and love of the hobby and the good that it does for you. How could you go wrong starting from this basis?

I'm definitely in the don't over think it catagory but also am affended when people are rude. Hey, if your not interested then don't read it. Some people are interested. It always seems to be the sam

@Smoker. Welcome to the Internet. And especially, forums. I hear what you're saying. There are a lot of threads I don't have interest in but i don't go into them to make that point. Unfortunatel

Everyone is different. Smoking envokes thought and contemplation for me, but not necessarily about cigars. Picking apart cigars extensively ruins the experience for me. There's no wrong way to enjoy a cigar. The problem is when folks take themselves too seriously and try to force their opinions on others. Everything about smoking is subjective.

• Like 3

Everyone is different. Smoking envokes thought and contemplation for me, but not necessarily about cigars. Picking apart cigars extensively ruins the experience for me. There's no wrong way to enjoy a cigar. The problem is when folks take themselves too seriously and try to force their opinions on others. Everything about smoking is subjective.

You make a point that I specifically steered clear from... The nuts and bolts of cigar reviewing! While we should do it more to support the community, as I see your point, reviewing, or being critical of a cigar is quite distracting. Distracting to smoking...

If that is what you meant my friend, I agree fully. I frankly have come to hate cigar reviewing, for precisely this reason. I want to enjoy and immerse myself in the cigar. Once I find myself being critical of it, frankly I want to toss it!!!

-Piggy

• Like 1

I completely agree. Nothing expands my capacity for creative thinking like a good cigar and nothing restricts it like TV.

And I have to say, this might be the first long post from PigFish where I understood every part of it! I'm moving up in the world fellas...

... you honor me mate! Cheers! -Piggy

Interesting perspectives as always -

Sometimes I wonder if how members post might have a little to do with how they view the forum - is it conversational, where we're actually having discussions, or is it more a place to post and harvest information. I know it's not really so polar.

As for smoking, I can't recall a single time where I have not given the cigar I was smoking some kind of consideration, even if briefly. I can't imagine not, given the energy / thought used in choosing, obtaining, maintaining.... Perhaps that is what allows one to not give consideration while actually smoking.

My mind does tend to wander as I smoke, and perhaps that is a matter of my smoking alone most of the time - but I'm usually not thinking about anything in particular. I've had one experience I can recall which resembles what I believe Clint is alluding to:

While smoking, I completely lost track of where I was, what I was doing, etc - it was trance like. The moment I snapped out of it, it was gone and there was no way to return.

• Like 2