La Escepcion Don José Regional Italia 2015

@NSXCIGAR and @Dara

I definitely think that the difficulty in getting cigars out of Italy is the core issue with the "slow" sales of the 2011 La Escepcions. The demand was there but many did not have contacts in Italy to facilitate a sale. Most tobacconists wouldn't want to take the chance fielding random, strangers' requests as it'd be too risky. If anything, that jar probably spurred on those who were already vested in the cigars to up their inventory. From all the different boards I frequent, there's a lot of who wished they could get their hands on a box but couldn't.

I really wish these were Churchill's as originally rumored/announced. The sighting of HDM Hermosos No 4 Anejados makes me a bit nervous about these TBH. lookaround.gif I'd really hate to think there's some shenanigans going on .

• Like 2

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Italians do it better

Ugh.. Do not buy! No beuno! Don Jose? No Way Jose! Seriously..do not buy.....until I've grabbed a box or two to sample from.....

Did someone mention Don Jose?? Just smoking one now

@NSXCIGAR and @Dara

I definitely think that the difficulty in getting cigars out of Italy is the core issue with the "slow" sales of the 2011 La Escepcions. The demand was there but many did not have contacts in Italy to facilitate a sale. Most tobacconists wouldn't want to take the chance fielding random, strangers' requests as it'd be too risky. If anything, that jar probably spurred on those who were already vested in the cigars to up their inventory. From all the different boards I frequent, there's a lot of who wished they could get their hands on a box but couldn't.

I really wish these were Churchill's as originally rumored/announced. The sighting of HDM Hermosos No 4 Anejados makes me a bit nervous about these TBH. lookaround.gif I'd really hate to think there's some shenanigans going on .

That pretty much lines up with what I thought.

Admittedly, long skinnies are not the most popular vitola and no doubt didn't help but I think in this case the bulk of the worldwide demand for these wasn't based on the cigars' physical properties. The demand for these was mainly sight-unseen worldwide but the retail structure in Italy is just simply unequipped to deal with that type of unusual worldwide demand. I guarantee very few buyers of the Selectos Finos did so after sampling some in a B & M and deciding it's great. My point was that using B & Ms in a country like Italy is an unwise approach to selling this particular product.

I'm certainly not blaming the Italians or Diadema. Certainly many Italians do speak English but Italy isn't exactly the hub of international online commerce. I'm blaming HSA for choosing to use Diadema for this release. When there's surplus on the shelves of hole-in-the-wall Italian shops when people all over the world are struggling to locate stock at 150% of the price something's wrong. I just see Italy/Diadema as just a very poor choice for distributing and marketing this very unique product.

Obviously HSA hasn't learned it's lesson and we'll be again looking forward to overstocks in Italian B & Ms with nothing to be found at the British, Swiss and Asian retailers. Only now it's twice as many boxes...rolleyes.gif

That pretty much lines up with what I thought.

Admittedly, long skinnies are not the most popular vitola and no doubt didn't help but I think in this case the bulk of the worldwide demand for these wasn't based on the cigars' physical properties. The demand for these was mainly sight-unseen worldwide but the retail structure in Italy is just simply unequipped to deal with that type of unusual worldwide demand. I guarantee very few buyers of the Selectos Finos did so after sampling some in a B & M and deciding it's great. My point was that using B & Ms in a country like Italy is an unwise approach to selling this particular product.

I'm certainly not blaming the Italians or Diadema. Certainly many Italians do speak English but Italy isn't exactly the hub of international online commerce. I'm blaming HSA for choosing to use Diadema for this release. When there's surplus on the shelves of hole-in-the-wall Italian shops when people all over the world are struggling to locate stock at 150% of the price something's wrong. I just see Italy/Diadema as just a very poor choice for distributing and marketing this very unique product.

Obviously HSA hasn't learned it's lesson and we'll be again looking forward to overstocks in Italian B & Ms with nothing to be found at the British, Swiss and Asian retailers. Only now it's twice as many boxes...rolleyes.gif

I dont think HSA plays any part in picking who gets what release. They don't approach anyone it's the other way around.

Diadama would have approached HSA wanting to make a La escepcion cigar in a Panetela vitola. HSA says OK then makes a number of test blends for diadama to try and diadama then picks the blend they want to go into production.

• Like 1

I dont think HSA plays any part in picking who gets what release. They don't approach anyone it's the other way around.

Diadama would have approached HSA wanting to make a La escepcion cigar in a Panetela vitola. HSA says OK then makes a number of test blends for diadama to try and diadama then picks the blend they want to go into production.

I had no idea this was how this was done, thanks for the info. But HSA does have final say in approving it, I suppose. Awfully bold demand for Diadema to ask for a brand resurrection with an unpopular vitola though.

That's exactly what I think.

AND if you guys want to buy a flight ticket for me I can go to Italy and buy boxes for all of us! lol3.gif Just kidding. 2 international trips in 20 days broke my bank... but maybe... just me... no wike no kids... again... spotlight.gif

I personally loved the Selectos Finos that I had. Then again, they were four years old when I smoked them, so that might have helped. I was thinking of going to Paris this winter, but Rome is suddenly much more appealing...

I'm thinking of getting two boxes so I have pleanty to age. I figure if they are similar to the previous blend, they have the strength to be held for some time and then are quite enjoyable.

Awfully bold demand for Diadema to ask for a brand resurrection with an unpopular vitola though.

They probably listened to a vocal minority.

In the cigar world, punting say 750 K on a Robusto is one thing.....punting it on a skinny.....balls of steel lol3.gif

• Like 3

I managed to get a box of the Selectos fino's last year for the original price just before theywent crazy. It was a box split, so I only kept 5.... really wish I had kept the whole box, or got hold of a second one. I enjoyed them.

They probably listened to a vocal minority.

In the cigar world, punting say 750 K on a Robusto is one thing.....punting it on a skinny.....balls of steel lol3.gif

Not a true 'skinny' but in regards to the vast majority of RE's Germany's RA 898 resurrection seemed to do extremely well. Must be the fastest selling RE to date by far.. maybe the delay in release was intentional? innocent.gif

• Like 1

I managed to get a box of the Selectos fino's last year for the original price just before theywent crazy. It was a box split, so I only kept 5.... really wish I had kept the whole box, or got hold of a second one. I enjoyed them.

Not a true 'skinny' but in regards to the vast majority of RE's Germany's RA 898 resurrection seemed to do extremely well. Must be the fastest selling RE to date by far.. maybe the delay in release was intentional? innocent.gif

Not just the delay but the mystique of the vitola. After being discontinued it became highly acclaimed and the price skyrocketed.

Not just the delay but the mystique of the vitola. After being discontinued it became highly acclaimed and the price skyrocketed.

I think the same thing could be said of the Boli Especiales #2 in 09. It also was a relatively low production of 2,400 boxes. The difference there was Germany is a little better at international resale allowing even me to get a box at a decent price within a few months of release through a Swiss retailer. And I certainly didn't hear any stories of oversupply in German B & Ms.

If HSA is going to all the trouble to resurrect La Escepcion for one regional every 4 years someone should tell PCC to ask for a Cazadores Miramar! A man can dream...lol3.gif

• Like 1

I think the same thing could be said of the Boli Especiales #2 in 09. It also was a relatively low production of 2,400 boxes. The difference there was Germany is a little better at international resale allowing even me to get a box at a decent price within a few months of release through a Swiss retailer. And I certainly didn't hear any stories of oversupply in German B & Ms.

If HSA is going to all the trouble to resurrect La Escepcion for one regional every 4 years someone should tell PCC to ask for a Cazadores Miramar! A man can dream...lol3.gif

The Boli Esp. #2 didn't sell out in Germany until about 5 years after release. Not a huge hit.

• Like 1

Some of our German members may correct me on this, but I doubt the first 1500 boxes have actually shipped yet

Every box I've seen is in the low 1000's

I wouldn't be surprised if the first 1500 sell out quick and the rest sit for a while

Some of our German members may correct me on this, but I doubt the first 1500 boxes have actually shipped yet

I wouldn't be surprised if the first 1500 sell out quick and the rest sit for a while

It's a Italian regional, not German

The Boli Esp. #2 didn't sell out in Germany until about 5 years after release. Not a huge hit.

The Boli was a slow starter. Wasn't convinced either, as it initially tasted green and even metallic to me. Finally scored two boxes and am quite happy. Evolving nicely! These have loooong legs.

• Like 1

As far as I have heard, this is indeed the case. A second batch still being expected. However, not possible to infer anything from the plate numbers, as these are obviously not (not always?) attached or shipped in any chronological order.

I wouldn't bet on that one.

The Boli was a slow starter. Wasn't convinced either, as it initially tasted green and even metallic to me. Finally scored two boxes and am quite happy. Evolving nicely! These have loooong legs.

I have gone through 3 boxes, sold 2, and have one left. Outstanding cigars. I am banking that the 898 are equally good and have purchased accordingly wink.png - I will finally be able to pick them up next week.

But back to the Don Jose - I upped my order to two boxes after smoking an exceptional Selectos Finos last night tongue.png

• Like 3

I have gone through 3 boxes, sold 2, and have one left. Outstanding cigars. I am banking that the 898 are equally good and have purchased accordingly wink.png - I will finally be able to pick them up next week.

But back to the Don Jose - I upped my order to two boxes after smoking an exceptional Selectos Finos last night tongue.png

If you pick up any extra boxes of 898..... innocent.gif

• Like 1

Have a line on these now so any input from anyone who has tried them would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to decide whether or not to pull the trigger and for how many boxes.

I can't speak for your tastes, but I plan on grabbing a couple of boxes if anyone winds up finding a source for a group buy.